The Boathouse Sketrick
House | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 8
5 * NITB approved, The Boathouse is a spacious seaside home situated on the shores of Strangford Lough on picturesque Sketrick Island. With its own private entrance and luxury accommodation, underfloor heating and wood burning stove it is an idyllic place to spend a holiday in great comfort. Perfect for sailors, golfers or families just wanting a seaside break in a superb setting.
• Panoramic Sea Views
• Sleeps eight comfortably although additional guests may be accommodated by arrangement.
• The property is mostly on one floor and has four separate sitting rooms including a library and conservatory with superb lough views,
• Large kitchen with Aga cooker with seating area, log burning stove and a balcony with panoramic views over the Lough
• Utility room with washing machine and tumble dryer. Area overhead to hang wet clothes.
• The Master Suite has a dressing area and private deck.
• Three further bedrooms including a twin bedded annex.
• Large family bathroom with bath and power shower, a further ensuite bathroom. The annex has its own shower room.
• Separate cloakroom with WC.
• Large garden to the front .
• Private sunny enclosed courtyard to the rear with large outside fire for cosy evenings. Additional Weber barbeque.
• There are fields behind the house with lovely walks and scenic views of Strangford Lough, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
• Private parking for up to four cars.
The facilities in the house include Wi-Fi, a large flat screen television and Sky TV.
Departure - We ask our guests to please vacate the property by 10 am on the morning of departure.
Arrivals - We are delighted to welcome our guests at 4pm on the day of arrival.
Number of Persons in the Property - The number of persons staying in the property must not exceed the number stipulated in the booking confirmation. We are not able to have parties in the house.
Activities - There is plenty to do:
• For the visiting yachtsman there is a deep water mooring in front of the house, available by prior arrangement.
• Strangford Lough Yacht Club, which welcomes temporary members, is within walking distance. See club website for sailing courses.
• Kayaks and Canoes can be rented locally. For children explore Delamont Country Park and Adventure Playground.
• There is riding, walking and golf at Mahee Golf Course, fifteen minutes away by car.
• The world famous links course, Royal County Down is a forty five minute drive away. Many other fine golf clubs are within 40 minutes including Royal Belfast, Malone, Ardglass, Lisburn, Clandeboye Shandon Park. A day out to Royal Portrush and Portstewart is easily managed with time to get back for dinner locally. A perfect venue for a golfing holiday.
• Spend a day at Castle Ward and Mount Stewart, two of Northern Ireland's finest National Trust properties or enjoy a visit to the Mourne Mountains.
• Eat delicious seafood or enjoy a drink at Daft Eddies Restaurant and Pub, a five minute stroll around the Island. Try Balloo House, The School House and The Poachers Pocket for fine dining or bistro food within a five to ten minute drive.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Rocky beach In front of house|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: George Best City and Belfast International 25 km, Nearest railway: Queens Central Belfast 25 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player, Boat available, Sea view|
|General||Central heating, TV, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms, 1 En suites and 1 Shower rooms, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Furniture||Single beds (6), Double beds (1), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 10|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
The County Down region
Strangford Lough in County Down is the largest sea lough within the United Kingdom and Ireland. Strangford Lough and Lecale areas have been designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty for their magnificent drumlin topography, exposed coast and sheltered bays. From the broad, shallow flats of the north end to the fast flowing deep channel where the Lough's waters meet the Irish Sea, is a distance of over 32 kilometres.
The Lough's variety of habitats gives rise to exceptionally rich and varied marine life. Over 2000 marine animal and plant species have been found. Recognition has been given to the importance of the flora and fauna of Strangford Lough with national, European and international designations including: Special Area of Conservation, Special Protection Area, Ramsar site, Areas of Special Scientific Interest and Marine Nature Reserve.
Strangford Lough is surrounded by picturesque towns, villages, historic sites and visitor attractions and offers plenty of activities for the local people and visitors to enjoy both on and off the water. Here are just some:
Castle Espie - Wildfowl and Wetlands
Castle Ward Estate and House - Fascinating Home and Grounds - Open to the Public
Delamont Country Park - Childrens play area and superb walks in magnificent surroundings
Down County Museum
Exploris - Explore All types of Marine and Sea Life.
Mount Stewart House and Gardens
Quoile Countryside Centre
Scrabo Country Park
The Somme Heritage Centre
The Saint Patrick Centre
Please see www.strangfordlough.org for a more detailed description of the area, activities and festivals.
Tourism, recreation, agriculture and commercial fishing are the main industries. Environmental management and scientific research are also important. The Queen's University Marine Research Station in Portaferry brings students and lecturers from all over the world and much of the work has a basis in the Lough's extraordinary marine life and tidal currents. The area is also noted for having a very large proportion of artists and craft people.
Strangford Lough is surrounded by quaint towns and villages with excellent restaurants, cafes, pubs and shops. Local towns include:
- Comber - a plantation town and home of Thomas Andrews the designer of the Titanic. The town owes its development to the Industrial Revolution. The town's oldest industry is the spinning mill, which dates back to 1863. In the 19th century flour-milling and distilling industries developed.
- Downpatrick - the ancient city of Down. There are many sites to visit in this town and its surrounds. Downpatrick is home to Down County Museum, Down Cathedral and adjacent to it the final resting place of St Patrick along with St Brigid and St Colmcille. Downpatrick Race course is home of the Ulster National and plays host to a series of meetings throughout the year.
- Strangford got its name form the Vikings (strang-fjord) over 1000 years ago. It is a small, picturesque village. There is a tower house near the harbour. Have lunch in one of the fine pubs or restaurants and then slip over to Portaferry by ferry nd wend your way back round the Ards Peninsula passing through charming Greyabbey and Newtownards.
- Portaferry - lies at the tip of the Ards Peninsula. Take a charming ten minute ferry journey from Strangford on the opposite side of the Lough and visit the Market House in the square, built in 1754 and the Exploris aquarium which shows the underwater marine life of Strangford Lough and the Irish Sea. Walk down to the marina after a delicious seafood lunch in the Portaferry Hotel or in one of the towns other excellent restaurants and bars.
Don't forget Belfast with its superb shops, restaurants, nightlife and the famous Titanic Quarter is a short drive away for those who want to experience city life.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
28 Aug 2014
"Didn't want to leave"
This property lived up to advance billing in every way!It is beautifully decorated, very comfortable, spacious yet still cozy. Stunning views over the water, with little sail boats in view. Location… More
We really enjoyed having you all to stay and thank you for your kind remarks. We love to make guests from near and far away feel welcome here in Northern Ireland and hope you will come back again soon.
29 Jul 2014
"Large impressive house in a stunning location"
Impressive property, ideal for large gatherings. The circumstances behind our visit was driven by a family bereavement, but the space, location and sincerity of the owners, Lindy and Henry, made the… More
Thank you for your very kind review. Despite the occasion it was lovely to have your family with us and I hope you will come and stay again.
13 Jul 2014
"A superb house in a fantastic location, ideal for a relaxing break away from the 'madding crowd'."
The Boathouse has a fantastic location on the shore of Strangford Lough, tucked away on the beautiful Sketrick Island. The house is luxurious and fully merits it's NITB 5 star status. Mornings … More
Great to see you both and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will come back soon.
10 Jul 2014
I spent a week in the Boathouse along with 7 other people. The setting is idyllic, the views beautiful. The house is a joy to stay in. Even with 8 of us, there was loads of room. I would totally recom… More
Thank you for your lovely review. We hope you will come back to Sketrick soon.
25 Apr 2014
I can't praise this place enough. We had booked as a big family group and as the house was so spacious we each had plenty of rooms to relax in. The views were stunning and lovely walks right on… More
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We loved having you to stay and I hope you will come back soon.
19 Apr 2014
"Beautiful, peaceful & family friendly"
Just returned from six days in the beautiful Boat House at Sketrick. We were very fortunate to have mostly good weather, but with such a beautiful comfortable house & stunning views a wee bit of rain … More
So glad you all enjoyed your stay and thank you for a lovely review.
15 Jan 2014
"A very tranquil place to stay"
We spent 4 nights in this beautiful home, we enjoyed stunning sunrises over the loch and hope to return during the summer months next time.Lindy and Henry were perfect hosts , they live next door but … More
Thank you for your lovely review. I am very glad the house was tranquil for you all and I hope you will come back to stay in the summer.
5 Jan 2014
"Excellent time at The Boathouse!"
We had the honour of being Lindy and Henry's first guests last summer. Our experience at The Boathouse was first class from beginning to end. From the booking process to check-out we found Lind… More
Thank you for your lovely review. You were great guests and we hope you will come back soon and perhaps enjoy a round of golf at Royal County Down!
25 Nov 2013
"Great location, Great hosts = Great house"
Just had a wonderful weekend staying at the Boathouse. Henry and Lindy were very welcoming and as soon as we stepped through the door and felt the heat of the open fire I knew we had made a good choic… More
Two lovely families and great children. I am so glad the house suited you all and thank you for coming to see us. I hope you will come back in the summer.
25 Nov 2013
"The perfect house, the perfect setting."
A group of friends wanted to go somewhere special to celebrate a 50th birthday. Fed-up with the usual hotel/spa thing decided to rent this magnificent house for the weekend. Lindy's welcome was… More
We are very grateful to you all and so glad you enjoyed the house and Shetrick Island. Thank you for a lovely review and please come back and see us again soon.
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
90% Response rate
Calendar last updated:13 Oct 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- Belfast City
- 72 properties
- 69 properties
- Newcastle, Northern Ireland
- 41 properties
- 32 properties
- 24 properties
- 16 properties
- 14 properties
- 13 properties
- 12 properties
- Bangor, Northern Ireland
- 10 properties
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- Dundrum, Co Down
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- Lough Neagh
- 6 properties
- 6 properties