Papaya Holiday Home
from £17 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £17 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
B&B / 7 bedrooms / sleeps 15
Availability Your dates are available
B&B / 7 bedrooms / sleeps 15
Our guesthouse is a charming 1990's home hosted in a beautiful home setting with large gardens in the residential area of Muyenga, Kampala. We have fantastic views of the city and a glimpse of Lake Victoria and the main city port, Port Bell all in the green Tank Hill suburb of Kampala. We are 5 minutes from Cafe Roma, Muyenga club, hotel international with health and fitness facilities, cosmopolitan restaurants, bars, cafes, stores and shops.
We've recently extended, renovated and redecorated our family home offering our guests surely the cleanest, most spacious sun-drenched rooms and friendly professional service.
|Size||Sleeps up to 15, 7 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Access||Car advised, Wheelchair users|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, Sea view|
|General||TV, CD player|
|Standard||Kettle, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||7 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms and 5 En suites, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Double beds (5), Single beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 15, Lounge seats for 7|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ|
|Access||Parking, Wheelchair users|
The Central Region
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
21 Jan 2015
"Papaya a home away from home"
Papaya is a spacious place; the interior with 8 large self contained bedrooms and living rooms. The exterior with big gardens and parking yard, a big verandah to relax on and a good view to expand your imaginations. The place is convenient for large groups, with 8 self contained rooms you cannot find a better place at a generous cost.
The staff is humane and very respectiful.
The breakfast at the verandah still images in our minds.
Many thanks for making our vacation and stay memorable.
''Convenient for large groups''. Other large groups searching for accommodation in Kampals should have no doubts about Papaya Holiday Home; the services and the comfortable spacious indoor and outdoor spaces. We appreciate these lovely comments from this group who stayed over the Christmas and New Year Holidays.
15 Jan 2015
"A warm welcoming home with everything we needed for a family holiday"
We all enjoyed the experience of staying at Papaya which offered an authentic Ugandan family home setting. Florence and her team were extremely hospitable and accommodating. She offers a good range of… More
As our first guests of 2015 we highly value the top rating you have awarded to us because our vision this Year is for Papaya Holiday Home to become known as one of the best Bed and Breakfast providers in Kampala; within the relaxed homely atmosphere.
Thank you for very positive feedback during your stay with us as this boosted the confidence of every memeber of our team.
11 Jan 2015
"Felt like home as soon as we arrived, great service and amazing value for money"
Can't fault this place, for the money that you are spending rooms are exceptionally big there is also good wifi, and 2 living rooms with plenty of space for guests to sit down relax and watch tel… More
Great feedback like this one from guests gives us a lot of satisfaction in running our hospitality business. It makes us not only want more than ever to keep up the standards but also to work harder in improving our services.
30 Dec 2014
"Very nice and welcoming"
This place is very nice and welcoming. U feel at home as soon as u arrive.The only negative is that it's not easy to get to wen using public transport.But otherwise it's better than most pla… More
While choosing to book accommodation in Kampala, guests may have doubts about Papaya Holiday Home because it is not the traditional Hotel in the City centre. But when they come through our doors, all the doubts quickly disappear because of the homely relaxing calm atmosphere and friendly welcome. Thank you for choosing Papaya Holiday Home for your Christmas Holiday, and for bringing to us joy at Christmas time.
18 Dec 2014
"Not a place for groups"
I booked the home for a large group and the owner was initially welcoming. Once the group arrived she created problems by always watching people, which made the guests uncomfortable. The owner lives a… More
A warning to Hotels and guest houses.
At Papaya Holiday Home we practice a policy of confidentiality towards our guest. However in this case where a guest has used vindictive lies about our services, in telling our side, some personal stories have come out. They are not offensive and we have kept them anonymous.
1. In her private blog the reviewer speaks very fondly of her time at our Holiday Home and we quote “The view of palm trees, grasslands and typical Ugandan architecture was inspiring while the porch was large enough to comfortably host the late night drinking and smoking sessions we all needed at the end of the long days”. In contradiction she has rates our facility 2 out of 5.
2. At booking stage this guest delayed to make deposit payment for confirmation of booking and sent us several mails claiming she was trying to make payment but our online payment system was not working .We tested the booking system and it was working perfectly. Other guests were able to use the system. (We have emails to confirm this) In this review she rates easy of booking 4 out of 5, a contradiction.
3.Our contract was balance of payment due at checking in. Again she was unable to pay at check in. We had to remind her several times before payment was made. Even then she made the payments in bits, and final payment on day of departure. When asked to settle overdue bill, her answer was ''Do you realize how busy I am?'' In the end she paid 75% of the total bill initially agreed. We saw no gain in making issue of the matter; instead we counted our losses and learnt our lesson.
4. At the beginning of her stay we gave this group leader a copy of house guidelines, and we went over the main points which are reasonable request for ensuring security and safety of guests and property and for mutual respect. She ignored all the basic guidelines throughout her stay. She displayed a kind of superior attitude in dealing with staff. ''Me American superior, you Ugandan inferior'' Other guests in her group cautioned us that she had communication problems and advised us to instead handle matters of concern directly with them. Our own reading into this was that it was a weapon for avoiding settling bills.
5. Our non-smoking in the house policy was ignored. In her blog she confesses to late night drinking and smoking sessions at the home. Read the reviewer's private blog.
6. She ignored our request to be informed if friends were brought in and especially if they were sleeping over. She frequently smuggled friends overnight in her bed room without our knowledge and it became an issue after we asked her to make some payment for her overnight guests as stated in the policy.
7. We made available a fully equipped kitchen for the use of the group, on condition that they would tidy after themselves. While the other members of the group did their part, she on a regular basis did not comply and told our staff to tidy up for her because she was in a hurry. Our staff did so without a fuss.
8. When one of the guests she had reserved accommodation for did not arrive as scheduled, she lied about it; that she had already checked him in a different guest house which was preferred over ours; only for this guest to turn up a day later at 3 am in the night. We were called at 3am by other house members requesting for an extra bed to be prepared for this guest. The guest explained that the delay was due to travelling document issues. She did not offer an explanation. Choosing not to embarrass her we welcomed the new guest to the house and made a bed for him at 3am.
We went out of our way to give service above money, to site a few examples:
9. The reviewer paid for a single bed, we offered her a four poster queen bed at no extra cost.
10. We made ourselves available 24hours a day, for example to lock up the house after the drinking and smoking sessions ended, usually between 3am and 6am. This is part of providing security for our guests.
11. For the security of the group, we worked in partnership with the Uganda Police Force who stationed an armed guard at the Home every night. A very costly exercise for us.
12. Out of the 6 bathrooms available to your group, one electric shower became faulty during your stay. We apologize for this. Realizing that a guest may have operated the shower wrongly, we explained to the guests the correct usage. An electrician was brought in to rectify. All members including herself enjoyed unlimited supply of hot bath.
13. During the 2 weeks, there was the unlimited broadband Ugandan Telecom internet service; which experiences disconnection issues due to their technical problems beyond our control. We apologize for this.
14. The reviewer requested that we move 2 guests to another room which had become available. We did this gladly at short notice.
15. On our own initiative, we used our money, went to the market and bought quality Ugandan avocados for members of the group who obviously were not aware of the best choices available. We were happy to bring smiles to their faces.
16. When a member of the group failed to find a tour bike to rent, we contacted a friend who provided his personal one to enable the guest take a bike tour of Kampala. We go out of our way to be of service.
17. We checked on one of the group members who had become ill to make sure he was OK, after all the house mates had left for the competition.
18. We provided a private space for prayers when requested for by one of the group members before the competition; we reassured him. He was one of the best.
19. Finally, we do not tolerate binge drinking and the use of illegal substances on our premise. We also find disturbances by loud noises, constantly throughout the night unacceptable. Our management reserves the right to take appropriate action to ensure the safety and security of guests and property. This is the issue behind the vindictive review.
You leave us no choice but to warn other Hotel owners of guests like you. Our management was forced to supervise as Papaya risked losing its license due to noise pollution. According to this guest, ''We are in Uganda, noise is not a problem”. At one point we considered terminating her contract but there were some lovely individuals in the group who we continued to host to avoid causing further distress. Other guest houses and hotels should be warned of dishonest people like her, who after causing a lot of inconvenience and instead of offering apologies, seek to destroy the works of honest hard working families.
Management. Papaya Holiday Home.
19 Oct 2014
"Made to feel at home, good value"
I stayed at Papaya for one week while in Kampala for work. The rooms are very large if fairly basic (which I expected given the price). The service from Florence and her team was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was generous and the home-cooked dinners very good. The location is peaceful. It may seem slightly isolated but its relatively quick to get into town. I was made to feel at home, very good value by Kampalan standards.
Thank you Peter for your honest comments on 'The guest feedback form'. The suggestions you made were very helpful and we are now implementing them.
Florence (manager/home owner)
30 Sep 2014
"Peaceful, welcoming home with brilliant food - great value!"
I stayed at Papaya for two weeks on a work trip to Kampala, and it was perfect. Florence and the girls are really welcoming and cater for your every need. My bed was huge and so comfortable. Meals were great. There is the option to self-cater, but the food was so delicious and such great value that I didn't bother. The portions are huge, and there are loads of tasty vegetarian options!
The location is also good. It is in a quiet area, but it didn't take long to get into central Kampala, especially with the great driver Florence recommended.
Thank you for providing such a relaxing and welcoming environment after my busy days of meetings, and at such great value!
At Papaya Holiday Home, we try to do our very best with what we have to meet the needs of our guests. Positive comments like these make us feel so rewarded for the services we deliver and we will continue to work hard to keep up the standards that we have achieved. Thanks, Florence (manager/home owner)
1 Sep 2014
"Ideal for families with young children"
What a blast we had at Papaya Holiday Home! The adults and children really felt home. The spaces, whether bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen and balconies were huge. The help (girls) were fabulous. F… More
One of the reasons we enjoy our work at the Papaya Holiday Home is because we get to meet such lovely people like you. Thank you for choosing Papaya for your family's summer holidays. Florence ( Owner/manager )
29 Jul 2014
"Ein Zuhause in Kampala"
Wir sind als Familie mit 3 Kindern bei Florence / Solomon sehr herzlich empfangen worden und es war ihnen ein großes Anliegen dass es uns gut geht. Ihr Gästehaus ist ideal für Familien mit Kindern,… More
Liebe Familie Rau, wir bedanken uns für euren Besuch und für diese positive Rückmeldung. Es ist uns immer eine Freude Familien mit Kindern als Gäste begrüßen zu dürfen. Mit euerem Besuch habt ihr uns eine Riesenfreude gemacht. Wir bemühen uns, unsere Anlage und unsere Servicequalität zu verbessern und würden uns freuen euch bald wieder zu sehen. Viele Grüße! Florence und Solomon
25 Jul 2014
"Welcoming, comfortable and delicious food"
Papaya is a wonderful place to stay - a haven in the bustling city of Kampala. Set off from the main roads, once in the gates you are treated to a warm family welcome. The rooms are incredibly spaciou… More
At Papaya we believe our guests should not just enjoy the spaces, but also well cooked food. We love good food and with many years of experience of cooking for family and friends, we are proud of what we serve to our guests. I am glad you liked the vegetarian part of our menu.