Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
NEW YEAR SPECIAL OFFER - 30% DISCOUNT
Book a holiday to visit Laggan Bridge Cottage between January 2014 and March 2014, to take advantage of this fabulous offer. Bookings subject to availability – Discount will be applied at time of quote
Laggan Bridge Cottage is situated 10 miles south of Fort Augustus and 22 miles north east of Fort William, in the heart of the Highlands. Originally built as a canal worker's cottage in the late 18th century, the property enjoys a waterfront position alongside the Laggan Swing Bridge with beautiful views across Loch Oich. A private garden leads down to the shores of the loch. The cottage was restored by Scottish Canals in early 2012 and having been beautifully furnished in traditional Scottish style, it now offers a unique holiday setting.
The cottage comfortably accommodates four in a spacious and light first floor double bedroom and twin bedroom. Downstairs the entrance porch leads through to the family bathroom. On the right is a stylish dining room and left of the entrance is the sitting room complete with a cosy wood-burning stove. Off the sitting room is a large fitted kitchen with views towards the loch.
Turn your stay into a touring holiday through the Highlands by combining a short break at Laggan Bridge Cottage with a stay at one of our properties further North.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Inverness Airport 84 km, Nearest railway: Spean Bridge 23 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
The Scottish Highlands region
A route for a ship canal through the Great Glen was considered as early as 1726, but it was not until 1773-4 that it was surveyed for the same reasons, and by the same engineer, as the Crinan. Further plans were produced, but in assessing the wider problem of Highland emigration ('The Clearances') in 1801-2, Thomas Telford recommended that, as well as helping fishing, agriculture and industry, a canal would provide much-needed employment.
Work began in 1804 as a government initiative managed by a board of commissioners; uniquely amongst the Scottish canals, the Caledonian has always been a public venture. Experienced foremen (from the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct for example) were brought in to oversee the works but had to manage a local workforce absent during harvests and fisheries. This, coupled with rising costs and lack of funds, meant slow progress. In order to permit the largest ships the locks were 170 by 40ft (52 by 12 m) and 'clustered' to save money - thus the magnificent lock flights at Banavie (Neptune's Staircase), Fort Augustus and Muirtown (Inverness) were built.
As well as over 21 miles of man-made canal, Lochs Oich and Dochfour had to be deepened and, to assist the passage of masted vessels, swing bridges rather than draw-bridges were planned. The canal was finally opened in 1822 and although the Baltic Trade it was built to serve had already declined, it was of immediate benefit to the fishing industry. Journey times improved after the lock gates were mechanised in 1964-69 and cruise businesses have responded to interest in the Loch Ness Monster.
The Caledonian represents a triumph of British civil engineering innovation, is littered with iconic features and makes a significant contribution to the breath-taking landscape of the Great Glen. Its cultural significance should be regarded as being of international, not just national, importance.
Nearby, the Great Glen Water Park offers outdoor activities for an additional fee.
There are great walking and cycling opportunities.
The Eagle Bar is located 1 mile South of the swing bridge.