from £58 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £58 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
Cottage / 4 bedrooms / sleeps 7
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 4 bedrooms / sleeps 7
Scottish country cottage, near the hamlet of Humbie, in the desirable area of East Lothian, with its pretty historic villages, castles, golf courses, beaches, undulating countryside and excellent walking, cycling, horse riding, and other leisure activities.
Pogbie Lodge gives you the best of everything, a quiet rural setting with a large private garden, outstanding views and no next-door neighbours, yet only 20 miles from the centre of Edinburgh with its Castle, museums, galleries, world class restaurants, the Fringe Festival and Hogmanay celebrations at New Year. Pogbie Lodge is also a great base for reaching a wide range of tourist attractions in, not only Edinburgh, but also East and Mid Lothians, the Borders, and Fife. For those with their own horse or pony, there are riding stables five minutes walk from Pogbie Lodge, to which you can bring your equine friend for riding lessons and accommodation.
While tucked quietly at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills, Pogbie is about 1.5 miles from the small village of Humbie which has a shop and cafe. It is about 4 miles from another cafe at Soutra, with superb views over East Lothian, and about 7 miles from the pretty conservation village of Gifford with a cafe, shops and pubs. KT's Country Kitchen, which is at Pogbie Farm, literally just down the road from the Lodge, provides fresh home cooked meals, delivered to your door.
Dating in part from the early 1800s, recently renovated, Pogbie Lodge stands within its own established large private gardens, that extend to a third of an acre with far reaching views over open countryside and no next door neighbours.
The accommodation consists of : two halls, sitting room with open fire, kitchen/dining room with a dining table (could seat 8), large master bedroom with king bed and its own seating area, three additional bedrooms, family bathroom, and cloak room with a separate toilet. There is also a conservatory (with external entrance only). In addition there is a summer house at the end of the garden. As well as a wardrobe and drawers/shelves, each bedroom has a chair, table, backlit magnifying mirror, shaving adapter and hair drier.
- Sleeps 7 in 4 bedrooms, 1 king, 1 double, 1 twin room and 1 single room - an extra mattress can be put on the floor in the single room or in the king size room. There may be an additional charge for this
- Bathroom with shower over bath, handbasin and toilet - there is no shortage of hot water as there is a combi boiler.
- Cloak room with separate toilet, hand basin and clothes washing machine
- Fully equipped modern dining kitchen with dishwasher, electric stove and oven, microwave, kettle, toaster, large fridge and radio. There is a freezer and tumble drier (outside access only).
- Sitting room with log fire, TV, DVD player, and stereo - seats 7.
- Also the king bedroom has its own sitting area with a sofa and chairs.
- Barbecue and outdoor furniture, or can eat in conservatory.
- Children friendly - cot and high chair available.
- Pets welcome, note garden not dog secure
- Short breaks available.
- Sorry smoking allowed only outside cottage.
- Lots of parking in garden - note roughly 30 metre walk to house from car park
Price includes: linen, towels, dish towels, hot water, electricity, central heating and a reasonable supply of clothes washing powder, dish washer tablets, dish washing detergent, kitchen paper towels, toilet paper, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Please note that the bed linen, excluding pillow cases, is not ironed. If you would like the remaining linen ironed, there is a charge of up to £50 (in addition to the amount quoted), depending on how many people are staying.
The kitchen is stocked with the basics, which you are welcome to use (at no extra cost) - flour, sugar, tea bags, filter coffee, salt, pepper and some herbs and spices, tomato sauce, and olive oil.
Please let me know in advance of your stay if you would like firewood provided - there is a charge for this of £5/night (this is additional to the amount quoted for the stay).
|Size||Sleeps up to 7, 4 bedrooms|
|Check in time:||16:00|
|Check out time:||11:00|
|Nearest beach||Longnidry - 14 miles 22.5 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||2 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Edinburgh airport is 26 mi from Pogbie lodge 42 km, Nearest railway: Edinburgh main - 20 miles, nearest is Wallyford - 23 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||King Beds (1), Double beds (1), Single beds (3), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 7|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
The East Lothian region
Pogbie Lodge nestles at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills, near the hamlet of Humbie, in the sought-after area of East Lothian, with its attractive rolling country-side, 40 miles of coastline with golden sand beaches, pretty historic villages, castles, golf courses, walking, cycling, horse riding and other leisure activities.
East Lothian has some of Scotland's best-known golf courses, or example, Muirfield at Gullane (less than 20 mi from Pogbie), which hosted the 2013 Open Championship. Closer courses are at Gifford (8.5 miles/14 km) & Haddington (10.5 miles/17 km).
Gifford has two courses:
- Gifford Golf Club, a nine hole course, dating from 1904, & described by Golf World as "The best 9 holes in Scotland";
- Castle Park Golf Club, with 18 holes on a naturally undulating parkland site, formerly the deer park for the nearby Yester Castle
The Haddington Golf Club was recently described by Bunkered Magazine Issue 89 as:
"In addition to being a links heaven, East Lothian also has some cracking courses and this is undoubtedly one of them. The course is set in peaceful walled surroundings and provides a thoroughly enjoyable test throughout. Here, they also go out of their way to make visitors feel welcome, so don't miss out on a real treat".
Pogbie Lodge is about 30 to 40 minutes from the longest dry ski slope in Europe. The Midlothian Snowsports Centre (formerly the Hillend Ski Centre) is set into the hillside of the stunning Pentland Hills Regional Park and has panoramic views of Edinburgh and the Pentland hills.
It offers skiing, snowboarding and tubing and has 2 main slopes, 2 nursery slopes, jump slope and range of freestyle features.
Pogbie Lodge gives you the best of everything, a quiet rural setting with a large garden and outstanding views, yet only 20 miles (32 km) from the centre of Edinburgh with its Castle, museums, galleries, world class restaurants, the Festival in August and Hogmanay celebrations at New Year.
Pogbie Lodge is an ideal base for reaching a wide range of leisure activities and tourist attractions in, not only Edinburgh, but also East and Mid Lothians, the Borders, and Fife. It is:
• 3 miles to the pretty Humbie Kirk (church) standing in woodland besides the Humbie Water, with woodland walk.
• 3 miles to The House of Soutra, a cafe with superb views of East Lothian. From here visit Soutra Aisle, the remains of what was the largest medieval hospital in Scotland. Or walk back cross country to Pogbie.
• 7 miles (11.3km) from the pretty conservation village of Gifford with golf courses, pubs, restaurant, cafe and a range of walks, including to the remains of the amazing Goblin-Ha castle.
• 7 miles (11.3 km) from the Glenkinchie Distillery, a single malt whiskey distillery with visitors centre and museum.
• 8 miles (13 km) from the delightful Vogrie Country Park with the baronial-styled Vogrie House, over 105 hectares of woods and over 4 miles of beautiful woodland walks - horse riding available.
• 10 miles (16 km) from the rugged Crichton Castle, overlooking the Tyne river.
• 12 miles (19km) to Dalkeith, home of Newbattle Abbey, a wonderful 19th century home with guided tours, and also Dalkeith Country Park.
• 13.5 miles (22.5 km) to Dalhousie Castle for a wonderful falconry experience and archery.
• 14 miles (22.5 km) to the National Museum of Flight, in East Fortune on a WWII air field. Enjoy the Concord experience and one of East Lothian's most popular attractions.
• 14 – 20 miles (23 – 32 km) from a number of beautiful sandy swimming beaches, including Longniddry, Gullane, North Berwick. Yellow Craigs, Sea Cliff and Tynninghame. Explore Direlton or Tantallon castles or from SeaCliff Stables ride a horse on the beach.
• 14.5 miles (23 km) from the seaside town of Musselburgh with the Musselburgh Links, the oldest golf course in the world, the Musselburgh race course, the Brunton Theatre, Inveresk Lodge Gardens and the stately home of Newhailes, dating from the 17th century.
• 15 miles (24km) to the award winning, National Mining Museum at Newtongrange - it will captivate the most cynical of boys.
• 16 miles (26 km) to the historic village of East Linton with pub, café and restaurant. Visit Preston Mill and Phantassie Doocot. Walk along the River Tyne to the imposing Hails Castle – open 24/7 and great for picnics.
• 16 miles (26 km) to the Markle Fisheries for quality trout fishing and a range of options for beginners to experts.
• 17 miles (27.5) to Whiteadder Reservoir in the Lammermuir Hills for fishing, swimming, sailing and walking.
• 18 miles (29 km) to Rosslyn and the 15th century Rosslyn chapel, featuring in the Da Vinci Code book and film. Adjacent is the dramatic Rosslyn castle and beautiful walks along the banks of the Esk River.
• 20 miles (32 km) from the centre of Edinburgh.
• 20 miles (32 km) to the small seaside town of North Berwick with a range of pretty shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs, a small working fishing harbour, the North Berwick Golf Club and the Scottish Seabird Centre. Take a boat trip from here to see the world's largest single island gannet colony on Bass Rock or to see the puffins on the Isle of May. Walk up Berwick Law for spectacular views.
• 26 miles (42 km) from the historic town of Melrose in the Borders on the river Tweed, home to Melrose Abbey and nearby Abbotsford House, the residence of novelist and poet, Sir Walter Scott, open to the public.
• 31 miles (50 km) to South Queensferry, marvel at the engineering of the Forth Rd Bridge, Hopeton House, a magnificent stately home, or take a boat trip to one of the islands in the Firth of Forth.
For those with their own horse or pony, there are riding stables five minutes walk from Pogbie Lodge, to which you can bring your equine friend for riding lessons and accommodation.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
29 Jan 2015
"Great place & fantastic value for money!"
4 adults,1 teenager, a toddler and a dog doesn't make for the easiest to accomadate for when visiting family but we struck gold with Pogbie Lodge. The house was clean, tidy and homely. We loved t… More
So pleased you enjoyed it! Was lovely to meet you and your family and thank you for such a nice review. Would love to have you as guests again!
13 Jan 2015
"A highly recommended Home from Home!"
We stayed at Pogbie for a second time in late November to early December for 4 nights & as usual we had a truly fab time.Although there were 8 of us we had enough room to have our own private time if … More
9 Dec 2014
"Great place-will be back!"
Lovely lovely house, had an amazing night here. Facilities etc all great, not a bad word to say, loved the log fire and really pretty surrounding countryside. … More
Was thrilled to be able to provide the venue for your Xmas party and glad it went well!
27 Oct 2014
"A Big Mistake"
We arrived Sunday afternoon 28/9 for our 2 night stay and let ourselves into the property following the owners' instructions, and were delighted with the presentation of the property. Early in th… More
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that I was not able to offer you the quality of accommodation at Pogbie Lodge that I would have liked to.
The Lodge was ready for the Friday and Saturday nights that you had booked to stay and it was only when my partner and I went to the Lodge on the Sunday afternoon to prepare for the next guests that I realised you had not stayed. Hence I emailed your husband that night to check that everything was all right and ask for bank account details so I could return the £50 damage deposit. It never occurred to me that you had the dates wrong. The email I sent your husband the previous week had referred to the day of your departure as being Saturday, your husband had acknowledged receipt of that email and did not explicitly say in his reply that the timing of your visit would be different.
Given this, you can imagine that I was amazed to hear from your husband early on Monday that you had arrived the night before. Unfortunately because you were staying when you were not meant to be, the Lodge was not fit for letting and I could not offer you the hospitality that I would have liked to, in particular, with regard to the heating and hot water – the same boiler does both.
You see, as a fellow Antipodean, I had thought you might find it cold so I had programmed the oil-fired central heating to run 20 hours a day for the period you had booked to stay. When my partner and I went to the Lodge on the Sunday afternoon, at the end of your scheduled stay, my partner found that the oil was very low. I already had an oil delivery booked for that coming week, but had not anticipated that so much oil would have been used over that weekend. Hence my partner advised me to turn off the boiler until the next delivery arrived to prevent any damage to the system.
I apologise for panicking when I found you had been running the boiler, but, not being an expert on boilers, I was worried that if the tank ran out of oil, the boiler could be damaged, requiring a costly repair, and with the possibility of no heating etc for my next guests. Once again, I am sorry I could not offer you heating and hot water, but because you were staying when I did not know you would be, there was just not enough oil to run the boiler safely and I could not get a delivery at that short a notice.
I also apologise that I did not cope with your unscheduled stay in a better manner and that you interpreted my anxiety as a sarcastic and accusative approach. I realised after wards that I had panicked over the boiler and that is why my partner phoned you later that morning and spoke with you to apologise and explain.
I was very upset to read your comments regarding the money – when I spoke with both your husband and you at the Lodge, your husband said that he did not want any money back. However, I gather you have changed your mind, and if you contact me with bank details etc I will refund the money.
23 Oct 2014
"A special place close to activities but tucked away to allow privacy"
The cottage and garden are lovely. Ideal for relaxing - with Smart TV so great for catching up on things from iPlayer.It is very well stocked, with all you could need in the kitchen. It has character … More
So pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your feedback - I have tried to provide things that I would want myself in a cottage. Also it is good to know that my stepson's carefully-acquired but now totally rejected Lego gets some use!
20 Oct 2014
"A Hidden Gem"
What a wonderful place, relaxing, home from home, everything you could wish for in a holiday let. The description on Trip Advisor does not do the place justice, it's far enough out of Edinburgh t… More
Thank you for your lovely review and hope you can come back!
24 Sep 2014
"Perfect country location, extremely well-equipped and comfortable"
This house is amazingly good value and it was a pleasure to stay there. We've stayed in numerous cottages throughout the UK and this was probably one of the best equipped kitchens we've seen… More
Really happy that you all, including, most importantly, your dog, enjoyed your stay at the Lodge. I will pass the compliments about the artwork to the sculptor, my partner.
17 Sep 2014
"Lovely countryside cottage Loved everything about Pogbie Lodge."
Just returned from a weekend break with family.The Kitchen is large and modern with everything you could possibly need but also manages to blend in with the old-world cottage style of the house.The lo… More
Am very happy you enjoyed your weekend - its important to me that you do! Hope you can come again!
11 Sep 2014
"A definite home away from home !"
We totally enjoyed our pogbie Lodge experience.it was a truly amazing home away from home. Although there were 7 of us you could hardly notice as the house was so spacious yet maintaining a cosy fami… More
Great you enjoyed the "Pogbie Lodge experience"! You are most welcome to stay again!
18 Aug 2014
"A truly lovely cottage and garden, with everything we could want or need!"
We would definitely recommend this cottage. Beautifully kept and presented, really well equipped from kitchen to bedding, wifi to bbq. We had a lovely time and would go back again and again!… More
Great you enjoyed your stay - do hope you can come again!
You're booking with
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:22 May 2015
Based in United Kingdom