Apartment | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Sleeps up to 6 people but really suitable for 4 adults and perhaps 2 children. 2 bedrooms. Traditional apartment on two floors situated above a coffee shop, hairdressers and Indian restaurant on main street near Hamilton town centre. Restored with lots of TLC. Close to train station, motorways, supermarkets, bars and restaurants.
Huge sitting room and adjoining dining/reading room with log burning stove. Fully equipped kitchen with raised dining area. 2 bedrooms upstairs: master bedroom has walk-in wardrobe and en suite bathroom, 2nd bedroom sleeps two and has adjoining bathroom with jacuzzi. Also small toilet downstairs. Very conveniently situated for motorways, train station, restaurants, bars, supermarkets. Lots of features brought from Italy like the huge designer radiators and log burner. Canadian wooden flooring downstairs, carpets upstairs.
We have friends who live locally who take care of the property in our absence.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Prestwick/Troon 30 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest Amenities||250 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Glasgow International/Glasgow Prestwick/Edinburgh 30 km, Nearest railway: Hamilton West|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (1), Double beds (2), Dining seats for 7, Lounge seats for 5|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace|
The Central Scotland/Strathclyde region
Lots to do and see. Glasgow is only 17 minutes by train and is full of shops, restaurants, art galleries, museums, bars, clubs - you only have to decide! Tennis courts and golf very close. You can also spend a beautiful day on Loch Lomond or down at the beach in Troon or one of the other many Ayrshire beaches.
The region is also very import for business peopel - Eurocentral is only a 10 minute drive. Edinburgh only 40 minutes away.
Take a drive up the Clyde valley for some beautiful scenery.
The town of Hamilton was originally known as Cadzow or Cadyou (Middle Scots: Cad?ow, the "?" being the letter yogh), pronounced /kadyu/. During the Wars of Scottish Independence the Hamilton family initially supported the English and Walter fitz Gilbert (the head of the Hamilton family) was governor of Bothwell Castle on behalf of the English. However, he later changed loyalty to Robert the Bruce, following the Battle of Bannockburn, and ceded Bothwell to him. For this act, he was rewarded with a portion of land which had been forfeited by the Comyns at Dalserf and later the Barony and lands of Cadzow, which in time would become the town of Hamilton.
Cadzow was renamed Hamilton in the time of James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton, who was married to the Princess Mary, the daughter of King James II of Scotland.
The Hamilton family constructed many landmark buildings in the area including the Hamilton Mausoleum in Strathclyde Park, which has the longest echo of any building in the world. The Hamilton family have been major land-owners in the area to this day. Hamilton Palace was the historic seat of the Dukes of Hamilton until the early-twentieth century.
Other historic buildings in the area include Hamilton Old Parish Church, a Georgian era building completed in 1734 and the only church to have been built by William Adam. The graveyard of the old parish church contains some Covenanter remains. The former Edwardian Town Hall now houses the library and concert hall. The Townhouse complex underwent a sympathetic modernization in 2002 and opened to the public in summer 2004. The ruins of Cadzow Castle also lie in Chatelherault Country Park, two miles from the town centre.
Hamilton Palace was the largest non-royal residence in the Western world, located in the north-east of the town. A former seat of the Dukes of Hamilton, it was built in 1695, subsequently much enlarged, and demolished in 1921 due to ground subsidence. It is widely acknowledged as having been one of the grandest houses in Scotland, was visited and admired by Queen Victoria, and was written about by Daniel Defoe.
Hamilton Barracks was formerly the Depot of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and the home of the 1st Battalion of the Regiment. The Regimental Museum is part of the Low Parks Museum.
The Low Parks Museum is housed in what was a 16th century inn and a staging post for journeys between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Recently refurbished, it is the oldest building in Hamilton and is to the north of the Palace Grounds.
David Livingstone lived in Hamilton from 1862 until his death on 1 May 1873. His house still stands on Burnbank Road (No.17) and has a plaque about him living there,
You can also visit the Chatelherault Hunting Lodge and Hamilton Old Parish Church
By road the town is to the west of the M74 motorway, the main southerly link to England, which joins the M6 just north of Carlisle. The main route from Edinburgh is the M8, leaving at junctions 6 or 7.