Cottage | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 7
Scottish country cottage, near the hamlet of Humbie, in the desirable area of East Lothian, with its pretty historic villages, castles, golf courses, beaches, undulating countryside and excellent walking, cycling, horse riding, and other leisure activities.
Pogbie Lodge gives you the best of everything, a quiet rural setting with a large private garden, outstanding views and no next-door neighbours, yet only 20 miles from the centre of Edinburgh with its Castle, museums, galleries, world class restaurants, the Fringe Festival and Hogmanay celebrations at New Year. Pogbie Lodge is also an ideal base for reaching a wide range of tourist attractions in, not only Edinburgh, but also East and Mid Lothians, the Borders, and Fife.
While the Edinburgh Fringe and International Festival may now be nearly over, there is still a lot going on in the vicinity of Pogbie Lodge this autumn, especially as part of the Homecoming Scotland 2014, including:
- 27 to 28 Sept 2014 – Flodden Legacy, Events commemorating the battle, Selkirk (33 miles from Pogbie)
- 27 Sept, 25 Oct, 29 Nov; Kelso Farmers Market - 4th Saturday of the month, 9.30am - 1.30pm, Kelso (30 miles)
- 28 Sept 2014 – Royal Regiment of Scotland Race Day, Mussleburgh (14.5 miles/23 km from Pogbie)
- 28 Sept & 23 Nov – Edinburgh Antiques Fair, Ingliston, (27 miles from Pogbie)
- 4 Oct 2014– Family History Workshop, Haddington (11 miles from Pogbie)
- 4 to 19 Oct 2014 – Midlothian Science Festival, ideal for children, variety of places from Gorebridge to Roslyn (12+ miles from Pogbie)
- 16 to 19 Oct 2014 – The 75th Anniversary Of The Forth Bridge Raid ,a series of walking tours, an exhibition and a charity concert featuring songs and music from WWII; South Queensferry (31 miles/50 km from Pogbie Lodge)
- 24 Oct to 1 Nov – Historic Ghost Tours (over 8 yrs), Innerleithen (25 miles from Pogbie)
- 25 & 26 Oct 2014 – Highland Arts, Crafts & Food Fair, Edinburgh (20 miles/32 km from Pogbie)
- 30 Oct to 23 Nov – Extraordinary Night Trail in the Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh (20 miles/32 km from Pogbie)
Pogbie Lodge is an ideal place from which to visit these and other activities - so why not come and stay?! (Please note that two night stays are welcome in All of September).
Dating in part from the early 1800s, recently renovated, Pogbie Lodge stands within its own established large private gardens, that extend to a third of an acre with far reaching views over open countryside and no next door neighbours. It offers very bright and beautifully proportioned accommodation over a single storey, with many delightful features.
The accommodation consists of : two halls, sitting room with open fire, kitchen/dining room with a long farmhouse table (could seat 12), large master bedroom with king bed and its own seating area, three additional bedrooms, family bathroom, and cloak room with a separate toilet. There is also a conservatory (with external entrance only). In addition there is a summer house at the end of the garden. As well as a wardrobe and drawers/shelves, each bedroom has a chair, table, backlit magnifying mirror, shaving adapter and hair drier.
- Sleeps 7 in 4 bedrooms, 1 king, 1 double, 1 twin room and 1 single room - an additional single bed can be put up in the king room or an extra mattress put on the floor in the single room or in the king size room.
- Bathroom with shower over bath, handbasin and toilet - there is no shortage of hot water as there is a combi boiler.
- Cloak room with separate toilet, hand basin and clothes washing machine
- Fully equipped modern dining kitchen with dishwasher, electric stove and oven, microwave, kettle, toaster, large fridge and radio. There is a freezer and tumble drier (outside access only).
- Sitting room with log fire, TV, DVD player, and stereo - seats 7.
- Also the king bedroom has its own sitting area with a sofa and chairs.
- Barbecue and outdoor furniture, or can eat in conservatory.
- Children friendly - cot and high chair available.
- Pets welcome, note garden not dog secure
- Short breaks available.
- Sorry smoking allowed only outside cottage.
- Lots of parking in garden - note roughly 30 metre walk to house from car park
Price includes: linen, towels, dish towels, hot water, electricity, central heating and a reasonable supply of clothes washing powder, dish washer tablets, dish washing detergent, kitchen paper towels, toilet paper, soap, shampoo, and conditioner.
The kitchen is stocked with the basics, which you are welcome to use (at no extra cost) - flour, sugar, tea bags, filter coffee, salt, pepper and some herbs and spices, tomato sauce, and olive oil. In addition, there is a welcome pack with milk, bread, butter, homemade marmalade, some local beverage, biscuits and fruit from our garden.
Please let me know in advance of your stay if you would like firewood provided.
|Size||Sleeps up to 7, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Longnidry - 14 miles 22.5 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||2 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Edinburgh airport is 26 mi from Pogbie lodge 42 km, Nearest railway: Edinburgh main - 20 miles, nearest is Wallyford - 23 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (3), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 7|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
The Lothians region
Pogbie Lodge nestles at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills, near the hamlet of Humbie, in the sought-after area of East Lothian, with its attractive rolling country-side, 40 miles of coastline with golden sand beaches, pretty historic villages, castles, golf courses, walking, cycling, horse riding and other leisure activities.
East Lothian has some of Scotland's best-known golf courses, or example, Muirfield at Gullane (less than 20 mi from Pogbie), which hosted the 2013 Open Championship. Closer courses are at Gifford (8.5 miles/14 km) & Haddington (10.5 miles/17 km).
Gifford has two courses:
- Gifford Golf Club, a nine hole course, dating from 1904, & described by Golf World as "The best 9 holes in Scotland";
- Castle Park Golf Club, with 18 holes on a naturally undulating parkland site, formerly the deer park for the nearby Yester Castle
The Haddington Golf Club was recently described by Bunkered Magazine Issue 89 as:
"In addition to being a links heaven, East Lothian also has some cracking courses and this is undoubtedly one of them. The course is set in peaceful walled surroundings and provides a thoroughly enjoyable test throughout. Here, they also go out of their way to make visitors feel welcome, so don't miss out on a real treat".
Pogbie Lodge is about 30 to 40 minutes from the longest dry ski slope in Europe. The Midlothian Snowsports Centre (formerly the Hillend Ski Centre) is set into the hillside of the stunning Pentland Hills Regional Park and has panoramic views of Edinburgh and the Pentland hills.
It offers skiing, snowboarding and tubing and has 2 main slopes, 2 nursery slopes, jump slope and range of freestyle features.
Pogbie Lodge gives you the best of everything, a quiet rural setting with a large garden and outstanding views, yet only 20 miles (32 km) from the centre of Edinburgh with its Castle, museums, galleries, world class restaurants, the Festival in August and Hogmanay celebrations at New Year.
Pogbie Lodge is an ideal base for reaching a wide range of tourist attractions in, not only Edinburgh, but also East and Mid Lothians, the Borders, and Fife. It is:
• 3 miles to the pretty Humbie Kirk (church) standing in woodland besides the Humbie Water, with woodland walk.
• 3 miles to The House of Soutra, a cafe with superb views of East Lothian. From here visit Soutra Aisle, the remains of what was the largest medieval hospital in Scotland. Or walk back cross country to Pogbie.
• 7 miles (11.3km) from the pretty conservation village of Gifford with golf courses, pubs, restaurant, cafe and a range of walks, including to the remains of the amazing Goblin-Ha castle.
• 7 miles (11.3 km) from the Glenkinchie Distillery, a single malt whiskey distillery with visitors centre and museum.
• 8 miles (13 km) from the delightful Vogrie Country Park with the baronial-styled Vogrie House, over 105 hectares of woods and over 4 miles of beautiful woodland walks - horse riding available.
• 10 miles (16 km) from the rugged Crichton Castle, overlooking the Tyne river.
• 12 miles (19km) to Dalkeith, home of Newbattle Abbey, a wonderful 19th century home with guided tours, and also Dalkeith Country Park.
• 13.5 miles (22.5 km) to Dalhousie Castle for a wonderful falconry experience and archery.
• 14 miles (22.5 km) to the National Museum of Flight, in East Fortune on a WWII air field. Enjoy the Concord experience and one of East Lothian's most popular attractions.
• 14 – 20 miles (23 – 32 km) from a number of beautiful sandy swimming beaches, including Longniddry, Gullane, North Berwick. Yellow Craigs, Sea Cliff and Tynninghame. Explore Direlton or Tantallon castles or from SeaCliff Stables ride a horse on the beach.
• 14.5 miles (23 km) from the seaside town of Musselburgh with the Musselburgh Links, the oldest golf course in the world, the Musselburgh race course, the Brunton Theatre, Inveresk Lodge Gardens and the stately home of Newhailes, dating from the 17th century.
• 15 miles (24km) to the award winning, National Mining Museum at Newtongrange - it will captivate the most cynical of boys.
• 16 miles (26 km) to the historic village of East Linton with pub, café and restaurant. Visit Preston Mill and Phantassie Doocot. Walk along the River Tyne to the imposing Hails Castle – open 24/7 and great for picnics.
• 16 miles (26 km) to the Markle Fisheries for quality trout fishing and a range of options for beginners to experts.
• 17 miles (27.5) to Whiteadder Reservoir in the Lammermuir Hills for fishing, swimming, sailing and walking.
• 18 miles (29 km) to Rosslyn and the 15th century Rosslyn chapel, featuring in the Da Vinci Code book and film. Adjacent is the dramatic Rosslyn castle and beautiful walks along the banks of the Esk River.
• 20 miles (32 km) from the centre of Edinburgh.
• 20 miles (32 km) to the small seaside town of North Berwick with a range of pretty shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs, a small working fishing harbour, the North Berwick Golf Club and the Scottish Seabird Centre. Take a boat trip from here to see the world's largest single island gannet colony on Bass Rock or to see the puffins on the Isle of May. Walk up Berwick Law for spectacular views.
• 26 miles (42 km) from the historic town of Melrose in the Borders on the river Tweed, home to Melrose Abbey and nearby Abbotsford House, the residence of novelist and poet, Sir Walter Scott, open to the public.
• 31 miles (50 km) to South Queensferry, marvel at the engineering of the Forth Rd Bridge, Hopeton House, a magnificent stately home, or take a boat trip to one of the islands in the Firth of Forth.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
17 Sep 2014
"Lovely countryside cottage Loved everything about Pogbie Lodge."
Just returned from a weekend break with family.The Kitchen is large and modern with everything you could possibly need but also manages to blend in with the old-world cottage style of the house.The lo… More
Am very happy you enjoyed your weekend - its important to me that you do! Hope you can come again!
11 Sep 2014
"A definite home away from home !"
We totally enjoyed our pogbie Lodge experience.it was a truly amazing home away from home. Although there were 7 of us you could hardly notice as the house was so spacious yet maintaining a cosy fami… More
Great you enjoyed the "Pogbie Lodge experience"! You are most welcome to stay again!
18 Aug 2014
"A truly lovely cottage and garden, with everything we could want or need!"
We would definitely recommend this cottage. Beautifully kept and presented, really well equipped from kitchen to bedding, wifi to bbq. We had a lovely time and would go back again and again!… More
10 Jun 2014
"Came up the lads as always"
Our annual golf holiday took us to Pogbie lodge this year, and we couldn't have picked a better spot, the locations while remote is just what we were looking for and a great base for anyone looki… More
10 Jun 2014
"Beautiful rural cottage with all the comforts of home"
My wife and I stayed in this cottage in February this year. It is a beautiful cottage with a great garden. The furnishings are of high quality and present the cottage in a great light. Highly recommen… More
So pleased you enjoyed your stay - hope you can visit again.
8 Jun 2014
"Stress free weekend."
Just returned from a weekend at Pogbie. I think a car is essential here as it's 15 minutes to Haddington which has plenty going on etc. The lodge is very restfull and has a lot of space to relax … More
2 Jun 2014
"Very comfortable cottage, well equipped kitchen and large garden."
We were Judith's second party staying in her cottage, she is learning the ropes and was a little late (about 20mins) getting it ready for us. She was very willing to ensure we had all we needed. … More
30 May 2014
The gardens and accommodations are gorgeous, and would be perfect for a family holiday.The lodge is in the middle of beautiful countryside, which brings the benefits of seclusion and peacefulness, but… More
18 May 2014
"disappointed not what expected"
My family were asked to arrive at the Pogbie Lodge at 4.30pm on Friday the 16th of May.On arrival, after a long drive and a days work we were sent away as the Lodge wasn't ready.After 2 hours my … More
As I explained at the time, I was new to letting my house; you were my first large group of guests (a couple had stayed earlier in the year). Given my lack of experience I had vastly underestimated the work involved and hence, despite my frantic efforts, the Lodge was not ready when you arrived.
I am sorry if you thought that I sent you away. However, I had only intended it to be a suggestion and thought it was, given the situation, in your best interests, in particular for those in your party who arrived early.
I understand that not finding the Lodge ready was a huge disappointment to you and a massive inconvenience, especially after you had driven over from Glasgow after work. This was why I offered you a discount as soon as you arrived, and later, when you returned to the property and found it still not ready, a discount of most of the cost if you could wait another hour or two.
When you decided not to stay, I was devastated, knowing the likely impact on your daughter's birthday. I was also aware that it would involve extra costs for you and immediately refunded you the entire cost of the holiday and offered you an extra £95, which was all the cash I had with me at the time. I hope that the total package of compensation of £245, on top of the refund, which we agreed in the following week, offset the additional costs and enabled you to do something special for your daughter.
I very much wish that you had been able to stay; as you said yourself, it is a lovely spot, and I think you would all have enjoyed it.
I have learned from this experience and the ten or so “changeovers” I have done since then. I now know what is involved and am far better organised, with the result that Pogbie Lodge is now always ready on time.
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
85% Response rate
Calendar last updated:29 Sep 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 763 properties
- North Berwick
- 57 properties
- 56 properties
- 35 properties
- 34 properties
- 32 properties
- 30 properties
- 28 properties
- 27 properties
- 17 properties
- St Monans
- 17 properties
- 17 properties
- 14 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- Lower Largo
- 6 properties
- 6 properties