Gite | 1 bedrooms | sleeps 2
La Vieille Grange is different in many ways, in offering the best of both worlds all year round in its facilities, its location and in the atmosphere the owners strive to create.
A quality conversion of an old wine producing barn the gite offers privacy, relaxation, views, a large 4 x 6 metre all weather and all year garden room / terrace (with full width, Tecnal high quality sliding glass patio doors), an acre of garden, an 11 x 5 metre swimming pool and all mod cons internally, but at a value-for-money price.
Located in countryside, surrounded by vineyards and rolling Charente Maritime countryside but within 10 minutes of the Gironde estuary (with nature reserve and new bird sanctuary) and quiet marinas, it is within 30 minutes of a nice beach with lots of lovely local places to visit and with easy access to the life of Bordeaux, La Rochelle or even onwards to Biarritz and Spain. The gite is also available for Twin Centre "town and country" holidays with the owners' studio apartments in La Rochelle (see link to website below/right).
The gite is specifically designed around the needs of couples (or 2 friends !) and the owners Martin and Christopher take pride in welcoming and respecting the diversity of their guests, regardless of background.
|Size||Sleeps up to 2, 1 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Meschers 39 km|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bordeaux 62 km, Nearest railway: Bordeaux 62 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|Pool||Shared outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Air conditioning, TV, CD player, Telephone, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (2), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Shared outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Further details indoors||
Ground Floor :
* Kitchen/dining room modern & fully equipped incl full sized oven, ceramic hob, breakfast bar, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge/freezer, microwave, dining table/chairs and direct dial telephone.
* Living room with Godin log burner, flat screen TV with English (BBC, ITV, Film4 etc) TV channels, DVD player, sofa and easy chair.
* Bathroom (bath with wall mounted shower attachment).
* Separate WC
Entrance hall, with spiral staircase up to first floor :
In the converted grenier/loft, 2 large bedrooms (each approx 6mx3m / 18ftx9ft into the eaves):
* Main double bedroom for 2 people, with French windows with views across countryside towards the estuary (and the sunsets !).
* New for 2013 : air conditioning in the main bedroom
* Mezzanine double bedroom for additional 2 people (see below), leading to main bedroom
The gite has been designed principally to provide year-round, spacious and well equipped accommodation for 2 people. However, the additional mezzanine double bedroom is also available if you want to invite friends to join you.
A complimentary Welcome Pack will be waiting for you - with provisions and refreshments - including a bottle of wine for you to celebrate the start of your holiday !
Wi-fi coverage is provided (subject to availability) if you bring a wi-fi enabled laptop.
Whilst the gite is attached to the owners' house, it is completely self contained as is its terrace/garden room.
The owners are ashamed to say that some of the internal doors, even on the ground floor, are too narrow for wheelchairs to get through. Otherwise, the ground floor facilities are quite accessible for people with mobility difficulties - if needed a sofa bed can be provided in the living room for people with mobility difficulties unable to use the spiral staircase to the 1st floor bedrooms.
|Further details outdoors||
* Your own large 4 x 6 metre private garden room / terrace with triple, full width sliding patio doors (double glazed), equipped with choice of furniture : sofa, easy chair, teak steamer style chairs & teak deckchairs plus dining table and chairs and wood burner and stylish gas radiator when needed.
* Free panoramic views across the pool, garden and across the valley beyond to the church on the hill !
* a wide range of garden & pool furniture incl teak sun loungers, garden chairs, deck chairs, parasols & tables
* 2 bikes.
* Use of 11m x 5m swimming pool - in reality you'll have it to yourself most (if not all) the time. Depth from approx 1m at shallow end to approx 4m at deep end. The pool is open from May to September, and as far into October as the weather permits. Includes under pool illumination at night for those nocturnal cocktails and star gazing on your terrace
* Use of garden - approx. 1 acre - incl. boules pit
The pool and garden is only shared with the owners and from time to time their guests - yours is the only gite!
25% booking deposit is payable upon booking, with the remaining final payment being due 8 weeks before the booking commences. A £100/145 euros breakages/excess cleaning deposit is also payable with the final payment – we return it within 7 days of the end of your booking. Payments can be accepted by credit or debit cards, via the secure online services of WorldPay.
The Poitou-Charentes/Vendee region
Situated in the beautiful Charente Maritime (with hours of sunshine second only to the Cote d'Azur), but in the south of it (where the countryside is more interesting/undulating) and within easy striking distance of the Aquitaine/Gironde, including the Medoc. In the middle of the countryside (surrounded by vines and sunflowers) but within 10 mins of the Gironde Estuary (with nature reserve and new bird sanctuary) and within 30 minutes of the nearest beach.
There are loads of interesting places to visit and things to do (if/when you tire of just lying around the pool during the summer!), including sleepy villages and livelier towns, beaches, chateaux/wine tasting, nature reserves, a new bird sanctuary, outside activities (for those into them!) including fishing, horse riding, walking and bird watching - or just sitting outside bars watching the world go by!
Within easy striking distance are : Chatelallion Plage, La Rochelle, Ile de Ré, Ile d'Oléron, St. Jean d'Angély, Angoulême, Royan, Rochefort, Cognac, Blaye, Saintes, Niort and even Bordeaux all within 1 hour drive.