Funchal Charming Old Town Flat
from £54 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £54 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
Apartment / 2 bedrooms / sleeps 4
Availability Your dates are available
Apartment / 2 bedrooms / sleeps 4
Funchal Charming Old Town Flat
A truly beautiful 2 bedroom flat located in the heart of the Old Town of Funchal. You have the most charming part of the city at your feet, no car necessary as all the best restaurants, shops, market and sea are a short walk away. Enjoy the luxury of space and peace and quiet in this very well furnished apartment. The owners have made sure you have everything you could want for a fantastic holiday. If you are planning on a week holiday or a 3 month winter break this is a stunning home from home.
2 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms with private sea view balcony
Approximately 90m2 (969ft2) apartment divided as follows:
• 1st bedroom – 17m2 (183ft2) with a private balcony of 3,5m2 (38ft2) and with a private bathroom of 3m2 (32ft2) with a shower
• 2nd bedroom – 13m2 (140ft2) with window
• 2nd bathroom – 6 m2 (65ft2) with bath and hair drier
• Kitchen – 12 m2 (129ft2) with a balcony of 4m2 (43ft2)
• Living and dining room – 30m2 (323ft2) with window
Features & Amenities
• Modern Lift
• Private car parking place
• Access to the rooftop for amazing views
• Fully equipped kitchen, including, among other, a refrigerator, a stove, an woven, a micro waves, an washing machine, a toaster, a kettle, an electric mixer and even a Nespresso coffee machine
• One bathroom equipped for guests with disabilities
• Wireless broadband free access
• LCD TV with cable broadcasting dozens of international channels
• DVD Player and lots of best sellers DVD's films
• Sound Dock for Iphone 4 and 5
Nearby Facilities (walking distances in minutes)
• ATM cash machines – 3 minutes
• Health clinic – 2 minutes
• Market – 3 minutes
• Pharmacy – 3 minutes
• Post office – 2 minutes
• Shopping centre – 5 minutes
• Supermarket – 4 minutes
• Taxi stop – 5 minutes
Location & Charm
You can relax in this fabulous apartment, with views overlooking Funchal, and enjoy the especially lovely sunsets from your private balcony. For truly amazing views, use the scenic rooftop terrace above the apartment, where you can stretch out or just be inspired by some amazing views over Funchal.
Enjoy the trendy lifestyle of the old streets of Zona Velha within a 2-minute stroll. Experience the smells and tastes of Madeira at the Farmers Market (“Mercado dos Lavradores”) within 3 minutes where you can easily find everything from fresh fish, vegetables and fruits to flowers and traditional handicrafts. And why not go swimming in the sea at Barreirinha Beach? Take advantage of year-round sunshine and warm Atlantic Ocean waters less than a 10-minute walk away. Explore the centre of town, just a 12-minute walk to visit the Sé Cathedral and the charming cafés by the Theatre.
No car is needed, although we do offer a free parking place if you do decide to hire one.
Our nearby Suggestions (walking distances in minutes))
- Restaurants: For fish, “Gavião Novo” (4 minutes), “Marisa” (5 minutes) and “Jango” (5 minutes). For meat, “Taberna da Esquina” (4 minutes). For rice “Riso” (8 minutes). Other well- known restaurants: “O Forte” (7 minutes), “O Armazém do Sal” (10 minutes), “Sabor a Fado” (4 minutes) and “O Tapassol (5 minutes)”.
- Pastries: “Penha d' Águia” (2 minutes): try delicious “queijadas” and “pastel de nata”.
- Bars: “Esplanada da Barreirinha” (10 minutes): for a pre-dinner drink with sunset views. “Venda Velha” and “Mercearia da Poncha” to drink the most famous Madeira drink, Poncha. Not to be missed: those with maracujá and tangerine.
- “Barreirinha” beach (10 minutes): A public beach with a sea-level sun deck.
- “Socorro Church” (10 minutes) also known as “Santa Maria Maior Church”: One of the most attractive churches in Madeira. The building was begun in the middle of the 16th Century, with new and important work carried out a century later. Demolished in 1752, a new and bigger church was built on the site. From the original chapel remains an exotic wood and silver sacrarium. The facade of the present church is marvellous, with its entrance doors a notable feature.
- Rua de Santa Maria (3 minutes) – Strolling down the narrow streets you can enjoy some of the old culture that's left in this particular part of town. A lot of the old buildings still exist, some of which have been transformed into restaurants and bars. In addition, there is a new attraction, the “Arte de Portas Abertas”, which is a public art programme to transform the Old Town into a permanent outdoor art gallery, displaying over 200 works of art, by invited artists, painted on Rua de Santa Maria's doors. This colourful project has helped to revitalise this part of town and make it more culturally significant for both locals and visitors.
- Mercado dos Lavradores (3 minutes) – The Farmers Market is a must see! It is one of the highlights that Madeira has to offer, where all scents, colours, flavours and tradition combine to delight those who visit it. Built in 1939, in a gracious combination of 'art deco' and the modernist style, the main entrance and interior are decorated with panels of tiles, produced in Lisbon's once-famous ceramic factory. Here you will find the very best Island produce. Fresh exotic fruits, vegetables, fish and flowers in a picturesque setting. The flower sellers are dressed in the typical, colourful Madeirense costume adding yet more vibrancy to this magical place.
Inside, there are two floors and a huge central courtyard, where vendors engage in selling day-to-day products. You will even be allowed to do a bit of tasting before you buy. (A popular exotic fruit to taste is a cross between a maracujá and a banana). In the rear, you will find the fish market. Here you will see fish freshly caught (some are brought in still alive) from all over Madeira. Well known will be the black scabbard fish with its huge eyes, razor sharp teeth and long eel-like body. Taste, smell, vivid colours, fun and tradition!
- Fortaleza de São Tiago (8 minutes) and the Museum of Contemporary Art - The beautiful Forte de São Tiago that was used to protect Funchal from possible invasions is also in the old town. The fort has small watchtowers and sentinel boxes from the 17th Century. The fort is open to the public and has some amazing views. It is now a museum complex that has undergone renovation and houses several museums including the Military Museum of Madeira and the Museum of Contemporary Art.
- Madeira Story Centre (5 minutes) – A modern museum about the history and culture of Madeira. The Madeira Story Centre will take you on a journey through the great historical events in Madeira, from the volcanic formation to the days of Dom Henriques, Napoleon, the first landing of a seaplane and Churchill. It offers a hands-on interactive experience where you feel the environment of different periods in time.
- Cable Car (6 minutes) - This is an exciting way to show Madeira's hidden beauty gliding over some wonderful landscapes. The departure station is at the park Almirante Reis. You ascend 560 m (1, 837 ft.) over 3, 718 m (12,000 ft.) in 15 minutes to Monte, located near Monte Palace Tropical Garden, amidst charming scenery.
- Armazém do Mercado (2 minutes) - The New Old Market. A blend of traditional and contemporary, a place to experience flavours, urban culture and childhood memories. Includes Toy Museum with a collection of 20.000 pieces: dolls, lead toy soldiers, miniature cars, games, dating from 19th century until present date.
Funchal Charming Apartments
Attention to detail. Elegant decoration combining authentic antiques with modern local pieces - to make you feel at home.
Local Knowledge. Let us guide you to the best places, introduce you to the local culture and make sure you live well like a local.
Freedom. Funchal Charming Apartments come with a fully equipped kitchen and dining room, giving you the freedom to cook and savour local produce.
Fully Connected. The apartments have fast, free wireless Internet and a good entertainment system.
Funchal Charming Apartments is also the owner of Lido Flat: list nr 1591435
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Barreirinha 500 m|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest Amenities||200 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Madeira 20 km, Nearest railway: n/a|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player, Sea view|
|General||TV, Video player, Telephone, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 En suites and 1 Shower rooms, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Furniture||Double beds (1), Single beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Shared garden|
|Access||Parking, Suitable for people with restricted mobility, Wheelchair users|
The Madeira Islands region
Madeira Island is a seven million years old volcanic island. Where several breathtaking views will delight you and where you feel the exuberant nature. Within half an hour by car, you may be at huge and steeper peaks really or swimming at a splendid warm and calm sea. It is an unique Laurissilva Forest (Unesco World Heritage Forest) and also a nature flower sanctuary. There are several attractive events throughout the year as the Flower Festival and the New Year Fireworks, in a marvellous scenario from mountains to the bay of Funchal. Place to enjoy a diversity sports from traditional (a must is walking on “Levadas”) to radical. And there are other exotic islands to discover, as Porto Santo, with a 9km golden sand beach.
What else? Just a couple of words to underline that Madeira Islands were elected, in 2013, the Best European Island Destination by the World Travel Awards (the tourism Oscars!).
You will easily find out what else in a destination at not more than 3,5 hours direct flights from the most important European cities and you will, with no doubt, become our Embassador.
Please spend a couple of minutes to watch some quick videos about Madeira that we choose for you at:
Funchal is the capital of Madeira. It is a clean and safe city as it is hard to find elsewhere.
It is a cosmopolitan town where the tourists are welcome with a pleasure smile in our face. When the hotels are crowded and the port is full of ships, it becomes an exotic melting pot of cultures.
It is not a proposition of hardware. It is a fun, colourful and vibrant software city.
Furthermore, it seems like it is Spring all year round. Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 18°C (64ºF) to 26°C (79ºF) and is rarely below 15°C (59ºF) or above 28°C (82ºF). What a mild climate!
You should experience and enjoy Funchal's warm lifestyle and you will desire to come back.
The Old Town Flat is located just in the middle of the Old Town of Funchal, 15 minutes by car from the Madeira airport.
The exact address of the Old Town Flat is: Rua Jaime Moniz, nº 3, Bloco A, 2º D, 9060-343 Funchal.
Zona Velha is the oldest quarter of the city and now the most popular tourist destination for locals and tourists. It is, with no doubt, the trendiest, coolest, hippest, place in town. It is the main hotspot in Funchal.
If locals are having good times at Old Town, then tourists must also have good times.
With cobblestone streets lined by colonial buildings (some dating back to the 15th century), it is full of life, culture and spirit, with a variety of shops, bars and restaurants (for foodies, some of the best restaurants in town).
The highlights include Mercado dos Lavradores, Forte de São Tiago, a trip on the cable car to Monte and Madeira Story Centre, among others.
A charming apartment needs to be placed in the most charming district of Funchal.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
25 Apr 2015
"Great stay in the Old Town Flat"
We spent nine days in the old town flat and liked it a lot. It was clean, it is in a good location, it is spacey and it is quiet. The entire logistics offered by the people running the flat was perfect (pick up from the airport, cleaning, additional help, etc.). The flat is is very close to the city centre, markets and food stores are in walking distance. The same is true for restaurants and the beach promenade.
10 Mar 2015
"Perfect city location"
This is a lovely well-maintained flat in a great city centre location, close to all shops, restaurants and amenities. Breakfast every morning on the balcony watching the cable cars go overhead! The owner is very knowledgeable about the island and is also very welcoming and helpful. Light sleepers need to be aware that this is a city location with the city noises you would expect; especially on Saturday nights. The traffic starts at about 6.30 am on weekdays.
11 Aug 2014
"The best location in Madeira"
If you are thinking of staying in Funchal- then you would do well to consider staying in the Old Town Flat as it is the very best location. It is extremely well fitted out and you really do feel as though you are living the local life. Just a few minutes stroll from the market, supermarket, lots of great restaurants, buses, cable car and coast, the flat has so much to offer. We booked a wonderful massage in the Santa Maria Hotel- again just minutes away. This two bedroomed/two bathroomed flat even has an IPad for guests and the attention to detail is fantastic and we would thoroughly recommend this flat to anyone.
6 May 2014
"The perfect choice"
Just after arriving, we realized that we made the perfect choice. Super location. Best possible location in Funchal in the heart of the Old Town. Yet very quiet and private. Mixture between cultural life and quietness. Very clean and tidy. Roomy enough for more than 4 people live in comfort and style. Lovely decoration. Balcony for romantic sunsets overlooking the Old Town and sea. The apartment was fully equipped with more than expected. Yes, it has a Nespresso coffe machine and an Ipad. But also a cable TV with all international channels, DVD player, movies,sound-dock, books in English and other languages, etc. Even mats and light sun chairs that can be taken to the rooftop terrace for sunbath with amazing views. It couldn't of been any better and we would definitely stay again at the charming Old Town Flat.
24 Apr 2014
"Perfect location _ no need for more"
The Old Town Flat is an excellent location to stay at Funchal; it is very close to the old city, market and restaurants; it provides all functionality needed for our stay. From that location we have been explored the whole island of Madeira. Next time if that flat would be available we would like to rent again; a clear recommendation !
9 Jan 2014
"Quiet, tasteful apartment in great location with incredible customer care"
I highly recommend a stay in this apartment if you are looking for a base near Funchal Old Town..it is beautifully decorated, well equipped and has a fantastic location just a short walk to the old town. It is lovely and peaceful and as it's in a building of local residents you get a more authentic experience of living in Funchal than being in a tourist hotel. The owners offer fabulous service, helping out swiftly with any enquiries - I felt very cared for as a guest. The wi-fi is excellent, and I loved going up to the roof balcony and enjoying the magnificent views over Funchal or sitting on the deckchair on the small balcony. This is a gem of an apartment!
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:05 Sep 2015
Based in Portugal