Funchal Charming Old Town Flat
Apartment | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
OLD TOWN FLAT
A truly beautiful 2 bedroom flat located in the heart of the Old Town of Funchal. You have the most charming part of the city at your feet, no car necessary as all the best restaurants, shops, market and sea are a short walk away. Enjoy the luxury of space and peace and quiet in this very well furnished apartment. The owners have made sure you have everything you could want for a fantastic holiday. If you are planning on a week holiday or a 3 month winter break this is a stunning home from home.
2 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms with private sea view balcony
Approximately 90m2 (969ft2) apartment divided as follows:
• 1st bedroom – 17m2 (183ft2) with a private balcony of 3,5m2 (38ft2) and with a private bathroom of 3m2 (32ft2) with a shower
• 2nd bedroom – 13m2 (140ft2) with window
• 2nd bathroom – 6 m2 (65ft2) with bath and hair drier
• Kitchen – 12 m2 (129ft2) with a balcony of 4m2 (43ft2)
• Living and dining room – 30m2 (323ft2) with window
Features & Amenities
• Modern Lift
• Private car parking place
• Access to the rooftop for amazing views
• Fully equipped kitchen, including, among other, a refrigerator, a stove, an woven, a micro waves, an washing machine, a toaster, a kettle, an electric mixer and even a Nespresso coffee machine
• One bathroom equipped for guests with disabilities
• Wireless broadband free access
• LCD TV with cable broadcasting dozens of international channels
• DVD Player and lots of best sellers DVD's films
• Sound Dock for Iphone 4 and 5
• ATM cash machines – 3 minutes
• Health clinic – 2 minutes
• Market – 3 minutes
• Pharmacy – 3 minutes
• Post office – 2 minutes
• Shopping centre – 5 minutes
• Supermarket – 4 minutes
• Taxi stop – 5 minutes
Location & Charm
You can relax in this fabulous apartment, with views overlooking Funchal, and enjoy the especially lovely sunsets from your private balcony. For truly amazing views, use the scenic rooftop terrace above the apartment, where you can stretch out or just be inspired by some amazing views over Funchal.
Enjoy the trendy lifestyle of the old streets of Zona Velha within a 2-minute stroll. Experience the smells and tastes of Madeira at the Farmers Market (“Mercado dos Lavradores”) within 3 minutes where you can easily find everything from fresh fish, vegetables and fruits to flowers and traditional handicrafts. And why not go swimming in the sea at Barreirinha Beach? Take advantage of year-round sunshine and warm Atlantic Ocean waters less than a 10-minute walk away. Explore the centre of town, just a 12-minute walk to visit the Sé Cathedral and the charming cafés by the Theatre.
No car is needed, although we do offer a free parking place if you do decide to hire one.
Our nearby Suggestions
- Restaurants: For fish, “Gavião Novo” (4 minutes), “Marisa” (5 minutes) and “Jango” (5 minutes). For meat, “Taberna da Esquina” (4 minutes). For rice “Riso” (8 minutes). Other well- known restaurants: “O Forte” (7 minutes), “O Armazém do Sal” (10 minutes), “Sabor a Fado” (4 minutes) and “O Tapassol (5 minutes)”.
- Pastries: “Penha d' Águia” (2 minutes): try delicious “queijadas” and “pastel de nata”.
- Bars: “Esplanada da Barreirinha” (10 minutes): for a pre-dinner drink with sunset views. “Venda Velha” and “Mercearia da Poncha” to drink the most famous Madeira drink, Poncha. Not to be missed: those with maracujá and tangerine.
- “Barreirinha” beach (10 minutes): A public beach with a sea-level sun deck.
- “Socorro Church” (10 minutes) also known as “Santa Maria Maior Church”: One of the most attractive churches in Madeira. The building was begun in the middle of the 16th Century, with new and important work carried out a century later. Demolished in 1752, a new and bigger church was built on the site. From the original chapel remains an exotic wood and silver sacrarium. The facade of the present church is marvellous, with its entrance doors a notable feature.
- Rua de Santa Maria (3 minutes) – Strolling down the narrow streets you can enjoy some of the old culture that's left in this particular part of town. A lot of the old buildings still exist, some of which have been transformed into restaurants and bars. In addition, there is a new attraction, the “Arte de Portas Abertas”, which is a public art programme to transform the Old Town into a permanent outdoor art gallery, displaying over 200 works of art, by invited artists, painted on Rua de Santa Maria's doors. This colourful project has helped to revitalise this part of town and make it more culturally significant for both locals and visitors.
- Mercado dos Lavradores (3 minutes) – The Farmers Market is a must see! It is one of the highlights that Madeira has to offer, where all scents, colours, flavours and tradition combine to delight those who visit it. Built in 1939, in a gracious combination of 'art deco' and the modernist style, the main entrance and interior are decorated with panels of tiles, produced in Lisbon's once-famous ceramic factory. Here you will find the very best Island produce. Fresh exotic fruits, vegetables, fish and flowers in a picturesque setting. The flower sellers are dressed in the typical, colourful Madeirense costume adding yet more vibrancy to this magical place.
Inside, there are two floors and a huge central courtyard, where vendors engage in selling day-to-day products. You will even be allowed to do a bit of tasting before you buy. (A popular exotic fruit to taste is a cross between a maracujá and a banana). In the rear, you will find the fish market. Here you will see fish freshly caught (some are brought in still alive) from all over Madeira. Well known will be the black scabbard fish with its huge eyes, razor sharp teeth and long eel-like body. Taste, smell, vivid colours, fun and tradition!
- Fortaleza de São Tiago (8 minutes) and the Museum of Contemporary Art - The beautiful Forte de São Tiago that was used to protect Funchal from possible invasions is also in the old town. The fort has small watchtowers and sentinel boxes from the 17th Century. The fort is open to the public and has some amazing views. It is now a museum complex that has undergone renovation and houses several museums including the Military Museum of Madeira and the Museum of Contemporary Art.
In the Museum of Contemporary Art, there is a collection of contemporary Portuguese art from the '60s to the present day, with works by some of the most significant national artists. The Museum also has a collection of works by artists who are developing their art in Madeira.
- Madeira Story Centre (5 minutes) – A modern museum about the history and culture of Madeira. The Madeira Story Centre will take you on a journey through the great historical events in Madeira, from the volcanic formation to the days of Dom Henriques, Napoleon, the first landing of a seaplane and Churchill. It offers a hands-on interactive experience where you feel the environment of different periods in time.
- Cable Car (6 minutes) - This is an exciting way to show Madeira's hidden beauty gliding over some wonderful landscapes. The departure station is at the park Almirante Reis. You ascend 560 m (1, 837 ft.) over 3, 718 m (12,000 ft.) in 15 minutes to Monte, located near Monte Palace Tropical Garden, amidst charming scenery.
Funchal Charming Apartments
In our Funchal Charming Apartments no expense has been spared to ensure they are equipped to the highest standard, complementing your lifestyle in comfort.
Attention to detail. Elegant decoration combining authentic antiques with modern local pieces - to make you feel at home. We do everything to meet your expectations, to enrich your experience with us and to make your stay in Madeira memorable.
Local Knowledge. Let us guide you to the best places, introduce you to the local culture and make sure you live well like a local. To avoid wasting time when you arrive, we will help you find your way, get immersed in the local culture, and prepare for fresh experiences and adventures.
Freedom. Funchal Charming Apartments come with a fully equipped kitchen and dining room, giving you the freedom to cook and savour local produce, (the market is just down the road) and, if you don't feel like cooking, the best restaurants in Madeira are on your doorstep.
Fully Connected. The apartments have fast, free wireless Internet and a good entertainment system. To relax, just switch on the LCD TV. Funchal Charming Apartments come with cable TV with dozens of international channels and a DVD player with some box-office hits.
In staying in our apartments, you will be joining a special club that returns to visit Madeira regularly, many staying with us several times a year, considering this their home from home in the sun; we hope you do too.
We promise. We deliver.
Funchal Charming Apartments is also the owner of Lido Flat: list nr 1591435
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Barreirinha 500 m|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Access||Car not necessary, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest Amenities||200 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Madeira 20 km, Nearest railway: n/a|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player, Sea view|
|General||TV, Video player, Telephone, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 En suites and 1 Shower rooms, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Shared garden|
|Access||Parking, Wheelchair users|
The Madeira region
Madeira Island is a seven million years old volcanic island. Where several breathtaking views will delight you and where you feel the exuberant nature. Within half an hour by car, you may be at huge and steeper peaks really or swimming at a splendid warm and calm sea. It is an unique Laurissilva Forest (Unesco World Heritage Forest) and also a nature flower sanctuary. There are several attractive events throughout the year as the Flower Festival and the New Year Fireworks, in a marvellous scenario from mountains to the bay of Funchal. Place to enjoy a diversity sports from traditional (a must is walking on “Levadas”) to radical. And there are other exotic islands to discover, as Porto Santo, with a 9km golden sand beach.
What else? Just a couple of words to underline that Madeira Islands were elected, in 2013, the Best European Island Destination by the World Travel Awards (the tourism Oscars!).
You will easily find out what else in a destination at not more than 3,5 hours direct flights from the most important European cities and you will, with no doubt, become our Embassador.
Please spend a couple of minutes to watch some quick videos about Madeira that we choose for you at:
Funchal is the capital of Madeira. It is a clean and safe city as it is hard to find elsewhere.
It is a cosmopolitan town where the tourists are welcome with a pleasure smile in our face. When the hotels are crowded and the port is full of ships, it becomes an exotic melting pot of cultures.
It is not a proposition of hardware. It is a fun, colourful and vibrant software city.
Furthermore, it seems like it is Spring all year round. Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 18°C (64ºF) to 26°C (79ºF) and is rarely below 15°C (59ºF) or above 28°C (82ºF). What a mild climate!
You should experience and enjoy Funchal's warm lifestyle and you will desire to come back.
The Old Town Flat is located just in the middle of the Old Town of Funchal, 15 minutes by car from the Madeira airport.
The exact address of the Old Town Flat is: Rua Jaime Moniz, nº 3, Bloco A, 2º D, 9060-343 Funchal.
Zona Velha is the oldest quarter of the city and now the most popular tourist destination for locals and tourists. It is, with no doubt, the trendiest, coolest, hippest, place in town. It is the main hotspot in Funchal.
If locals are having good times at Old Town, then tourists must also have good times.
With cobblestone streets lined by colonial buildings (some dating back to the 15th century), it is full of life, culture and spirit, with a variety of shops, bars and restaurants (for foodies, some of the best restaurants in town).
The highlights include Mercado dos Lavradores, Forte de São Tiago, a trip on the cable car to Monte and Madeira Story Centre, among others.
A charming apartment needs to be placed in the most charming district of Funchal.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
18 Feb 2014
"Stunning visit, perfect location"
First time we visited Madeira and really enjoyed being in the centre of town. This is a charming flat where no detail has been forgotten. We where expertly helped by the gracious owner who provided gr… More
9 Jan 2014
"Quiet, tasteful apartment in great location with incredible customer care"
I highly recommend a stay in this apartment if you are looking for a base near Funchal Old Town..it is beautifully decorated, well equipped and has a fantastic location just a short walk to the old town. It is lovely and peaceful and as it's in a building of local residents you get a more authentic experience of living in Funchal than being in a tourist hotel.
The owners offer fabulous service, helping out swiftly with any enquiries - I felt very cared for as a guest.
The wi-fi is excellent, and I loved going up to the roof balcony and enjoying the magnificent views over Funchal or sitting on the deckchair on the small balcony.
This is a gem of an apartment!
Pay online via the Holiday Lettings payment platform with your credit/debit card or your PayPal account to be covered by Payment Protection. Learn more
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Based in Portugal
- 225 properties
- 168 properties
- 57 properties
- 28 properties
- Ponta do Sol
- 20 properties
- Sao Vicente
- 16 properties
- Porto Santo
- 16 properties
- 15 properties
- Santana, Madeira
- 14 properties
- Santa Cruz, Madeira
- 13 properties
- Ponta do Pargo
- 9 properties
- Ribeira Brava
- 7 properties
- Agua De Pena
- 7 properties