Apartment | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 5
This small apartment is situated in Villa Lena, a Large Villa in Formia, about 150 mt far from the beach.
It consists of a large living room with 1 sofabeds with normal size mattress, and 1 single bed.
The kitchen is opened into the livingroom and a short corridor leads to the bathroom with shower and to the double bedroom, very large.
The living room opens to a small private court with table, benches, and armchairs for a complete relax in open air.
Perfect for families with small children.
Between the kitchenette and the bathroom there is a closet and a small warderobe.
The real entrance is on the back, from the parking. The garden is shared, with a barbecue and a bread oven.
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||70 meters|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car not necessary, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Leonardo da Vinci - Rome 170 km, Nearest railway: Roma - Formia 1 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 Shower rooms, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Double beds (1), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 5|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, Bicycles available|
|Access||Wheelchair users, Secure parking|
The Lazio region
Lazio is a primarily hilly region with 54% of its territory is occupied by hilly, 26% mountainous areas and the remaining 20% from the plains.
Starting from the north west of the region, there are three distinct mountain ranges of modest size: the Volsino, the Monti Cimini and Sabatini Mountains. A common feature of these mountains is their volcanic origin, as evidenced not only by the geological elements, the presence, in each of these, a lake; Volsini on Lake Bolsena, Vico Lake on Cimini and Lake Bracciano on Sabatini.
These mountains slope gently towards the Maremma plain to the west, and from the Tiber valley to the east, the two most northern plains of Lazio. The Maremma here finds its southern limit, in Tolfa Mountains.
In the medium southern Lazio, starting from the Alban Hills, we find a whole host of other mountain ranges that run parallel to the Apennines, which are separated by the valley of the Ciociaria flowing with the Sacco and Liri-Garigliano, ending their run in the Tyrrhenian Sea in near the border with Campania, it comes Lepinis of Ausoni and Aurunci.
Even the Colli Albani hills of modest size, are of volcanic origin, and even here the volcanic lakes are numerous: the lakes of Albano and Nemi, the now dry lake basin of Ariccia and ponds fossils Juturna (in the Forum Roman, at the Temple of Vesta), Valle Marciana (Grottaferrata) and, to the north, Pantano Secco (Mount Compass), Prata Pigs (Tusculum) and Castiglione (or lake of Gabii).
The Roma area is occupied dall'Agro Romano which continues towards the south, always following the coastline, in the Pontine Marshes, that until the clean-operated from 1930 to 1940, was covered by swamps.
The coast of Lazio is very smooth, low and sandy, but despite this there are the "bosses" as the Capo Linaro south of Civitavecchia, the mouth of the Tiber, between the municipalities of Rome and Fiumicino, south of the river are in succession the promontory of Anzio and Nettuno, Monte Circeo, which stands isolated between land and sea, and the promontory of Gaeta, near the border with Campania.
Gaeta is located right in front of the Pontine Archipelago, consisting of six small islands, all of volcanic origin.
The Tiber River is the main river of the region, and there comes from Umbria, first with a trend towards the south-east, but then bends to the south-west, driving through the Roman countryside to the sea. The main tributaries of the Tiber and the Paglia Treia, on the right, and the Black and the Aniene on the left side.
Further south, with a trend reminiscent of the Tiber we find the Sacco and Liri-Garigliano, while in the northern part of the region there are other smaller rivers such as Fiora, Marta and the Arrochar, which descend directly to the sea with a relatively short course.
Formia: the city
"O dulce temperate Formiae Litus ..", the mild climate trumpeted by Martial epigram dedicated to his friend Apollinaris and his villa Formiana is not just a poetic expression but a reality, thanks to its location by the sea, protected by Gaeta to the west and the hills behind, Formia boasts an enviable climate, which together with the beaches of Vindicio, Acquatraversa, S. Janni Gianola and make it a sought after tourist destination.
It was founded in ancient times by Lacock. In Roman times it was called Formiae (called Hormia or Ormiai for the excellent landing) was the seat of Lestrigoni.  From here the queen passed viarum, the Via Appia. 
Nestled right in the middle of the Gulf of Gaeta, Formia (from the greek hormiai - landing) has origins are lost in myth and are linked to the legend of Troy and the wanderings of Ulysses on the way back. All the mythical tradition remembers this area as the land of Lestrigoni,  rough and primitive peoples, and the cities of these giant cannibals arrived there the ships of Ulysses and from which only managed to save her.
Training and preitalica aurunca, as evidenced by the long and mighty wall of polygonal walls, largely preserved along the coast and in the neighborhood of Castellone, after the conquest of the territory by the Romans between the fifth and fourth centuries BC, he joined part of Latium adjectum. Into Roman civitas sine Formia becomes suffrage in 338 BC (Or perhaps 332 BC), because the passage through its territory had always been safe. This move was strategically important to the Romans, so that the city is passed the Appian Way in 312 BC In 188 BC, Formia receives full Roman citizenship.
Formia has been a very popular tourist resort in Roman times as evidenced by the numerous remains of villas, among which were those of famous Mamurra and Maecenas. On this stretch of the Gulf came to realize one of his favorite country houses, even Cicero. Just in Formia Cicero had his death by the assassins of Antonio in December 43 BC while trying to escape the proscriptions.
With the fall of the Western Roman Empire Formia was sacked and its inhabitants after the invasion of the barbarians and the war greek-Gothic, fled to the nearby hills, depopulating the town and then dividing into two groups, who later became the suburbs of Gaeta: the maritime Mola di Gaeta, which took its name from the mills that were in operation, which was erected at the end of the thirteenth century by Charles II of Anjou and a fort in the hilly area to Castellone. Castellone The name derives from the castle (Castel Leone Castel Lyon and finally Castellone) built by Onorato I Caetani, count of Fondi, around the second half of the fourteenth century.
Gardens with rich citrus separated for centuries the two quarters, as shown by cards corographic of the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries. In 1863 the villages were united under the name of Formia.
The city, during the Second World War, has suffered heavy damage in January 1944 and in the following months, as it perched at the edge of the Gustav Line (best known for the dramatic events of the destruction of Montecassino and the bloody battles in the mountains of Mignano Monte Lungo). Much of the historical and artistic heritage of Formia is so lost, what's left is nevertheless noteworthy.
Church of St. Anne, formerly Santa Maria del Forno, because erected near an oven, is located in the heart of the medieval village of Castellone and dates back to the tenth century, but rebuilt in a modern style and preserves a sixteenth-century fresco of the apse Neapolitan school object to the birth of the Virgin.
Church of San Rocco in 1474, with a single nave, has a fine seventeenth-century triptych depicting the Madonna with Saints Roch and Sebastian and the remains of a fresco on lunetta.Restaurata recently, is located outside the city walls of Castellone
Church of Santa Maria della Noce and former monastery adjacent ruins dating from the eleventh century, built by Benedictine monks cassinesi.La church with two naves, an oil painting by an unknown artist of the sixteenth century Madonna with child on walnut tree among the saints Benedict and Erasmo.La dome and the bell tower are of bizantina.Aperta generally only on Easter Monday for the traditional picnic in the adjacent meadows, is located on a private property, and it can be reached starting from the square of Castellone.
Church of San Remigio in 1490 within a single nave with traces of floral frescoes on the walls, a painting of the holy altar and the shrine with his reliquia.Danneggiata during the war, is located in the villa d ' era which was also owned by the Piccolomini, and is currently privately owned in San Remigio.
Church of Santa Maria del Castagneto, adjacent to the cemetery, is from 1170 and therefore the oldest Formia.Fu founded by Benedictine monks at the time and was to be found in the depths of a forest of chestnut trees from which the tower was restored nome.Il in 1936 and for the construction of the church were used parts of an ancient temple romano.All 'inside there are the remains of the ancient Cosmati floor.
Church and Convent of St. Teresa of Avila of 1700 a nave flanked by chapels and preserves a picture with the glories of the order carmelitano.Nell 'former convent dating back to 800, there are currently municipal offices. Restored facade recently.
Church of SS. Lorenzo and John the Baptist dating from ancient times to 1566 and 831 to 700 and divided by a wall, then destroyed in 800, making them one church two navate.Distrutta by the war, the new church preserves The wooden statue of the patron saint of Formia and a table of Roman Antoniozzo representing the Madonna and Child with St. Sebastian and San Lorenzo, surviving works of the old church and is located in the medieval village of Mola.
Cathedral of St. Erasmus of Constantinian era, was built on Christian pagan cemetery where he was buried the patron saint of Antioch of Formia.Devastata several times during the centuries before in 1500 when it was destroyed by the Turks and then during the events bellicci, the temple appears today, after the recent restoration, in its original bellezza.La church has three aisles and an anonymous painting of the eighteenth century, a funerary slab of the Dukes of Marzano in 1698 and the eighteenth-century altar containing the wooden statue the santo.Da enjoy the interesting underground where you can admire the Roman necropolis of I-IV century, the tomb martoriale the fourth century, the early fifth-century cathedral, the crypt of the seventh century, the shops of the eleventh century Benedictine, structures Olivetan of the sixteenth century and the burial chamber of the eighteenth secolo.Attiguo the cathedral, the former chapel of St. Probus (Bishop of Formia in 303 AD) in 1560 attesting to the completion of the work of reconstruction of the cathedral.
The Cistern, which is a large cistern of the Roman imperial period, recently reorganized and open to the public, is proudly displayed in the center of the village. It is a monumental work of hydraulic underground nell'Arce, with walls so robust and impressive to hold houses and alleys above. On the ruins of the Roman Theatre in the first century BC , In the eighteenth century was built a house. The place is very charming, and the place where, according to popular legend, was perpetrated martyrdom during the fierce persecution of the Christians, suffered by the bishop (and later saint) Erasmus, on 2 June 303 AD
The area where is located the Mausoleum of Tulliola is called Acerbara with proper reference to the girl (acerbam since died very young and ara to indicate the actual place.)
Wall in opus reticulatum, a curved structure and hemicycle likely aristocratic residence of the I-II century AD at the end of the pine wood Vindicio
Marina Roman Caposele at the end of the promenade of Vindicio
Other Natural Areas
Regional Park Riviera of Ulysses
The Oasis Blue Gianola. In places Gianola WWF has created a so-called Blue Oasis The bottom is parallel to the coast and reaches about 4 feet deep. The nature of the bottom is mixed, but mostly rock. There is a spa and a source for turtles underwater. The fauna is diverse, typical Tyrrhenian. The month of September is ideal for diving.
Regional Park of Gianola and Mount Scauri
Natural Park of Aurunci
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
Pay online via the Holiday Lettings payment platform with your credit/debit card or your PayPal account to be covered by Payment Protection. Learn more
You're booking with
70% Response rate
Based in Italy
- Ischia Island
- 91 properties
- 53 properties
- 50 properties
- 34 properties
- 32 properties
- 31 properties
- Terracina Mare
- 26 properties
- San Felice Circeo Mare
- 23 properties
- 19 properties
- 17 properties
- 16 properties
- 15 properties
- 14 properties
- 9 properties
- 9 properties
- Castelnuovo Parano
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- Ischia Porto
- 7 properties
- Sessa Aurunca, Campania
- 7 properties
- 6 properties