Cottage | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 5
PLEASE NOTE there is no nightly rate for Roslyn - the £10 shown on the prices table is automatically shown rather than £0 where no rate is set.
FOR SHORT BREAKS (2 - 4 nights) please enquire or view the prices in the notes under the prices table or on my website, thank you.
Roslyn is a lovely detached cottage (awarded AA 4 star grading) dating from around 1850 and is situated in a sunny location in the beautiful Royal Forest of Dean in the village of Lydbrook. It has some lovely period features including exposed beams, stone walls and fireplaces and a good sized rear garden, which opens out directly into the forest and onto the old railway line - a converted path for walkers and cyclists, giving access to miles of woodland and simply ideal for walking the dog. Whether you plan to go out and about exploring the area or prefer a quieter more relaxing break, Roslyn is the perfect place to stay.
Self-catering accommodation is provided for up to 5 people (but is best suited for up to 4 people) by way of 2 double bedrooms and 1 single bedroom. Roslyn prides itself on providing guests with a "home from home", being comfortable, cosy, well equipped, cleaned and furnished to a high standard and is great for couples and families. Roslyn comprises a porch, conservatory, dining room, lounge, kitchen, utility room, 3 bedrooms and a spa style bathroom. Please be aware that this is a no smoking property.
As a dog lover, I know how important it is to be able to take your best friend away with you, which is why Roslyn is a dog friendly cottage (well behaved and house trained dogs only). The gardens are enclosed, having been Labrador tested for 9 years as my home and there is a garden gate leading out of the back garden and straight into the forest onto some lovely paths and some nearby streams and ponds. A water bowl and a doggy welcome pack are are provided, but please note that dogs must be kept downstairs at all times and are not allowed in the bedrooms for hygiene reasons.
Roslyn is ideally situated for touring around the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley area and is well placed on the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Monmouthshire border for easy access to many local activities and tourist attractions. There are several walks, cycle routes (including the MTB trails), RSPB reserves and fishing ponds nearby and the Cotswolds, Brecon Beacons and Malvern Hills are all within an hours drive.
For testimonials, a full list of facilities, FAQ, what's included in the price and more please visit my website (www.roslynholidaycottagecom).
Why choose Roslyn?
- direct access into the Forest of Dean
- cosy 1850s cottage
- period features
- comfortable and well furnished
- high standard of cleanliness
- central heating and woodburner and some underfloor heating
- home comforts
- BT Wi-FI available
- relax in style in the whirlpool bath
- luxurious fluffy bath towels provided
- good sized separate shower enclosure
- well behaved dogs welcome
- off-road parking for 3-4 cars
- secure storage for bicycles
- enclosed sunny garden & BBQ
- ideally situated for local attractions
- Gloucestershire Way, Wye Valley Walk and Wysis Way within 3 miles
- Canoe launches at Lydbrook (1 mile), Bishopswood (4 miles) and Symonds Yat (7 miles)
- Cannop Cycle Centre nearby (2 miles)
- RSPB reserves within 10 minutes drive
- golf courses and fishing ponds within 10 minutes drive
Lydbrook has a well stocked village shop, a post office, Doctors surgery, fish and chip shop and several pubs. The nearest towns are Coleford (4.5miles) and Ross on Wye (6 miles) with the larger towns/cities being Gloucester (18 miles), Cheltenham (25 miles) and Hereford (20 miles).
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 3 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (1), Double beds (2), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 5|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
Forest of Dean
Lydbrook benefits from a local shop, Post Office, Doctors Surgery, fish and chip shop and several pubs. It is ideally located for many activities and one of the stop off points for the Symonds Yat canoeing trips is on the river at the bottom of the road. The old railway line which used to run up through the woods has been converted to a path suitable for walking, cycling and horse riding and links up to several walks/cycle routes in the area. The Cannop Cycle Centre and Beechenhurst can easily be reached by bicycle using this path within 15 minutes.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
8 Oct 2014
"Cosy delightful cottage"
Lovely cosy cottage, well equipped, and friendly helpful owner. Ideal for exploring lots of places in Wye valley, Hereford, Gloucester & Wales. Would not hesitate to stay again.… More
4 Aug 2014
"A comfortable and homely home from home"
My husband and I, our daughter and her two children and lively spaniel spent a lovely week at Roslyn. It is a very comfortable and homely cottage, very well equipped with everything you need and in a… More
28 Jul 2014
"Home from home!"
Very well equipped and dog friendly, beautiful gardens, full of lovely flowers and teaming with butterflies and birds, my children loved exploring but we were a little nervous letting our 21 month old… More
6 May 2014
"Beautiful hillside garden!"
Stayed for the May bank holiday weekend, Saturday until Tuesday morning. Lovely little cottage, with an amazing garden, on many levels with little paths between, and including a spacious decked area w… More
24 Apr 2014
"Lovely stay in the Wye Valley"
We stayed over Easter in this lovely, clean and well equipped cottage. Beds were really comfortable and when the sun shines, the garden deck is really welcome with many garden birds.Sarah was very hel… More
15 Apr 2014
I booked the cottage as a family getaway. It was a pleasant surprise to find a rental as described and the welcome pack was wonderful. My family and I were made to feel very welcome by the owner and g… More
17 Dec 2013
"Lovely cottage in good location but customer service was appauling!"
On initially booking and paying the deposit through Holiday Lettings, the owner then contacted me to say that the price on the website was not correct and that I would have to pay an additional amount… More
As you stayed at Roslyn over 2 months ago, left kind comments in the Guest Book and never raised any of this with me, I am confused by the timing and nature of your review, but I shall answer the points you have raised as best I can:--
1. There is an issue with the Holiday Lettings website when calculating short stays, hence my comments on the search summary and in the listing about checking short stay prices before booking. I explained this to you when I received your booking request and amended the price. You accepted the amended price and paid the deposit straightaway.
2. The only forms sent to you were a Guest Booking Form and a Dog Booking Form. I have to have guest details for insurance, tax and emergency contact purposes and the listing makes it clear that all vaccinations, worm and flea treatments must be up to date for hygiene reasons, therefore it would be strange if I did not ask for this information! You completed and returned both forms to me within 24 hours and did not query it at all.
3. The arrival and departure times are clearly set out on the listing. I accommodate requests for early arrival/late departure as much as possible. I explained that I was unable to accommodate your request for an early arrival as I had guests leaving that same morning and needed to clean, change bedding etc and I also explained to you that I had guests arriving early on the Monday and so needed to clean during the daytime on the Sunday. However, I offered you a departure time of 11am, which you accepted.
4. The email you are referring to was sent to your friend last week with pre-arrival information for her stay at New Year. As your friend is bringing a dog to stay, I mentioned that you had not cleaned up after your dog and that there was a carpet of dog hair left all over the house and also rather a lot of dog faeces left in the garden, simply to help your friend get back her refundable £100 extra cleaning/damage deposit. The email does not say that I wish I had charged a deposit it says…..“If a deposit had been paid last time, then I would only have kept £25 to cover the extra work and would have refunded the rest. I am not penalising you, as I am charging the deposit at this time of year for any booking, because the risk of damage is greater than it is during the rest of the year. “
5. There is a toilet roll left at Roslyn as part of the welcome pack, along with eggs, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, salt, pepper, biscuits, kitchen roll, foil, clingfilm, flowers etc as with all items, I do not provide a non-exhaustive supply as it is a self-catering holiday cottage.
15 Dec 2013
"A lovely cottage in an excellent location"
Although Lydbrook is on the edge of the forest, this cottage is brilliantly situated directly next to some of the best walks in the area. There's a bit of a climb up the terraced garden but it leads directly to a disused railway line, from which many other walks can be found. You can even walk to join the famous cycle path, in the centre of the forest.
The house is totally dog-friendly, with a hose and rear access with slate floors, and the woods are safe enough that we didn't need a lead all week.
29 Oct 2013
"Cosy cottage - home from home"
Roslyn is a wonderful place for an away from it all retreat. The cottage is well-equpped and furnished to a high standard. The owner, Sarah, is extremely helpful and provides a nice touch of a welcome pack including freshly laid eggs. The location is great - you can access the Forest of Dean from the back garden and get to anywhere within the Forest in a matter of minutes.
If you want to stay in, the cottage is lovely and comfortable and the wood burning stove makes it very cosy. Our only slight reservation is that if there had been five of us staying the lounge might have been a little cramped but with four it was just right.
One thought for Holiday Lettings is that the website does not handle part-week bookings well. The text clearly stated the rate for a 3 night week-end stay but when I tried to book through the Holiday Lettings website it came up with a lower price - but did indicate that this was subject to confirmation by the owner. Perhaps the website could be improved to actually come up with the correct price.
5 Sep 2013
"A gorgeous cottage in a stunning location!"
The cottage is deceptively spacious. It is extremely well-equipped. Nothing was too much trouble for Sarah. The little touches, such as the fresh eggs, were appreciated. We will definitely be retur… More
You're booking with
- 1 Years listed
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:27 Nov 2014
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site
- 181 properties
- 164 properties
- Forest of Dean
- 143 properties
- 105 properties
- Ross on Wye
- 103 properties
- 86 properties
- 69 properties
- 69 properties
- 66 properties
- 58 properties
- 45 properties
- 41 properties
- 40 properties
- Newport City
- 35 properties
- 18 properties
- Wotton Under Edge
- 18 properties
- 13 properties
- 11 properties
- Ewyas Harold
- 8 properties
- 7 properties