About the home
Mite Villa holiday cottage is a lovely recently renovated and refurbished detached cottage in Miterdale, one of the prettiest and least visited valleys in the Lake District. Overlooking the river Mite, this comfortable cottage offers self catering accommodation for up to 4 people and is ideal for couples and families having a beautiful private terrace which overlooks it's own enclosed children's playground and the river Mite.
There will be a welcome pack of tea/coffee and milk at the cottage for the adults and, if there are children coming, a children's pack containing (according to their age) a selection of DVDs/ books/toys etc will be provided.
Miterdale, the writer Arthur Ransome’s ‘hidden valley’, has magnificent views of Scafell, England’s highest mountain, and branches off from the quiet village of Eskdale, which lies along the valley floor of the River Esk.
Eskdale is also a wonderful starting point for hundreds of walks. The river has natural pools for swimming and is a popular place for canoeing and fishing. The famous Ravenglass & Eskdale Miniature Railway runs along the valley, its steam trains making the leisurely seven-mile journey down to the sea.
There are five pubs in Eskdale, all welcoming children and serving real ales and a wide choice of good food. The nearest pub to Mite Villa is the Bower House Inn and it will take you about ten minutes to walk there along quiet roads. The village shop is a half hour walk away, sells a comprehensive range of goods, including groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables, alcohol and newspapers. There is some reception for mobile phones on the Orange network.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider:||Short breaks|
Nearest amenities: 700m
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Suitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||No pets allowed|
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Log fire, DVD player|
|General:||Central heating, TV|
|Utilities:||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||2 Bedrooms, 1 family bathroom|
|Furniture:||Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seating for 4, Lounge seating for 4|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
|Outdoors:||Balcony / Terrace, Private garden, Climbing frame, Swing set|
Further details indoors:
The front door leads into the dining room with dining for four.
From the dining room is a well equipped newly fitted kitchen wtih washing machine, microwave, fridge freezer and cooker with gas hob and oven. There is plenty of storage space here. This is a light and airy room with views towards the play area and river.
The comfortable sitting room has open fire, TV and DVD player.
Upstairs is the double bedroom with built in wardrobes. The second bedroom has zip & link beds which will normally be made up as two single beds but can be zipped together to make a king-sized double. If you would like this to be a double bed, please ask at least 5 days in advance and we can get this organised for you. There is built in hanging space on the landing. The family bathroom consists of bath with shower over, pedestal sink and W.C.
There is extra storage area attached to the property with storage facilities for prams, bikes and handy space for those wet boots and coats, etc
Further details outdoors:
Patio at side of the property and grassed area leading down to the river. An enclosed children's play area for exclusive use of cottage occupants.
The Cumbria/Lake District region
The Lake District is one of the most beautiful areas in the UK and has stolen the hearts of many who visit. Eskdale is a quiet valley tucked away from the crowds and Miterdale is tucked away in Eskdale. This quiet and idyllic location does not mean nothing to do but walk and there is loads for kids and adults available with the Ratty (narrow gague railway), Muncaster Castle and the Hardknott Roman Fort all easily accessible.
The Eskdale area
Within walking distance
* Scafell Pike - England's highest mountain * Wastwater - England's deepest lake
* Hundreds of riverside, valley and mountain walks and climbs
* Ravenglass & Eskdale Miniature Railway:www.ravenglass-railway.co.uk
* Muncaster Castle, with its azaleas, rhododendrons and Owl Sanctuary: www.muncaster.co.uk & www.owls.org
* Hardknott Roman Fort & Ravenglass Roman Bath House
* Eskdale Corn Mill - still working with its waterwheel
* Eskdale Golf - 18 holes of challenging golf set in the majestic Eskdale Valley await visitors to this secluded parkland course.
* Ravenglass fishing village
* Fold End Art Gallery
* Fishing on river or stocked pool at Eskdale Golf
* Stanley Ghyll waterfall
* 5 pubs in the valley -
Within one hour's drive are most of the Lake District's attractions, including:
* Boating on Derwentwater, Coniston and Windermere
* Windermere, with its Steamboat Museum, marina, water skiing and sailing
* Horse riding and pony trekking
* Dozens of historical houses and castles open to the public
* Wordsworth's birthplace and his homes, Dove Cottage and Rydal Mount www.wordsworth.org.uk
* Brantwood, home to John Ruskin: www.brantwood.org.uk
* Cumbria's coast with sandy beaches
* The 'Theatre by the Lakeside' at Keswick: www.theatrebythelake.com
* The Lakeland Sheep and Wool Centre: www.sheep-woolcentre.co.uk *
* Shopping at Ambleside and Kendal
* Steamboat Gondola on Coniston
* Lake Stott Park Bobbin Mill Museum
* South Lakeland Wild Animal Park: www.wildanimalpark.co.uk
Golf Courses in Cumbria within a few miles of the cottage are:
* Eskdale Golf Club (10 mins drive from Eskdale Village)
* Cockermouth Golf Club (45 minutes from Eskdale)
* St. Bees Golf Course (30 minutes from Eskdale)
* Seascale Golf Course (15 minutes from Eskdale)
* Windermere Golf
* Workington Golf Course (50 minutes from Eskdale)
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
From the South
* Leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 for Kendal/Lakes.
* Follow signs to Barrow (A590).
* Turn right to Workington (A5092) 3 miles beyond Newby Bridge and follow this road to Broughton-in-Furness (10 miles).
* Turn right to Ulpha before the River Duddon (3/4 mile beyond Broughton).
* After 4 miles turn left in Ulpha village to the steep hill signed Eskdale.
* Follow the fell road to Eskdale.
* Keep going past the George IV pub, then past the village shop, down the hill, round the corner and then turn right towards the school.
* Drive past the school. After the school you will see an entrance on your left. Take this and Mite Villa is the first house on the left.
Activities near Eskdale
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 4|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|Sep 2012||1 Sep 12||29 Sep 12||£ 495||-||-||1 Week|
|Sep-Oct 2012||29 Sep 12||27 Oct 12||£ 455||-||-||1 Week|
|Oct-Nov 2012||27 Oct 12||3 Nov 12||£ 665||-||-||1 Week|
|Nov - Dec 2012||3 Nov 12||21 Dec 12||£ 375||£ 80||£ 80||3 Nights|
|Christmas 2012||21 Dec 12||29 Dec 12||£ 560||-||-||1 Week|
|New Year 2012||29 Dec 12||5 Jan 13||£ 665||-||-||1 Week|
|January/Febuary/March||5 Jan 13||30 Mar 13||£ 395||-||-||1 Week|
|March/April||30 Mar 13||13 Apr 13||£ 675||-||-||1 Week|
|April/May||13 Apr 13||25 May 13||£ 475||-||-||1 Week|
|Spring Bank Holiday||25 May 13||1 Jun 13||£ 695||-||-||1 Week|
|June/July||1 Jun 13||13 Jul 13||£ 520||-||-||1 Week|
|July||13 Jul 13||20 Jul 13||£ 655||-||-||1 Week|
|July/August||20 Jul 13||31 Aug 13||£ 695||-||-||1 Week|
|August/September||31 Aug 13||28 Sep 13||£ 520||-||-||1 Week|
|September/October||28 Sep 13||26 Oct 13||£ 475||-||-||1 Week|
|October Half Term||26 Oct 13||2 Nov 13||£ 695||-||-||1 Week|
|November/December||2 Nov 13||21 Dec 13||£ 395||-||-||1 Week|
|Christmas||21 Dec 13||28 Dec 13||£ 585||-||-||1 Week|
|New Year||28 Dec 13||4 Jan 14||£ 695||-||-||1 Week|
The property's weekend rates apply to: Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Contact the manager
* Required fields
Please check the following errors:
5 years listed
You are contacting
Sally's Cottages (property manager)
The property manager is based in the United Kingdom and has advertised with Holiday Lettings since 2007. This cottage has so far received no reviews.
Verified property manager
This property manager has been verified by our team.
Payments for this home can be made directly to the property manager.
Selected other homes from this advertiser
Darling How in Cockermouth, England
Cragg Cottage in Eskdale, England
Key How Cottage in Eskdale, England
Rigg Cottage in Eskdale, England
Holiday accommodation in England (21,205)