Orlege, near Edinburgh
Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Offering the best of both worlds so close to Edinburgh , this unique, exceptionally tasteful 5 STAR conversion in the countryside, wows romantic couples and families alike. It sleeps up to 4 ideally but will accommodate 6 people. Flexibly designed, Orlege’s sumptuous light-flooded interior, with its 2 storeyed layout, is excitingly different with double height ceilings and an open flow area downstairs. It would be hard to find in the city, within the same price range, something so grand and spacious. Go rural instead! If not convinced, please type ORLEGE into the search area of the Trip Advisor website and up will pop a mass of splendid reviews from past guests.
And at Crosswoodhill you have the added bonus of tranquil rural surroundings, lovely views with a livestock farm on your doorstep and the Pentland Hills beckoning beyond. There's also the huge advantage of easy free parking immediately adjacent to your accommodation. If you opted to stay within the city centre you could spend half an hour seeking somewhere to park at a cost. Why not instead use the half hour to drive out from Edinburgh to Orlege and let your passengers feast their eyes on the Pentland Hills unfolding for 10 miles as you leave the city boundary? And then park for free and unload the car within minutes?
You’ll find more detail further down, but here is a taster of what you too could enjoy in Orlege End, prefaced by a typical quote: “Stunning, stunning, stunning and finished and furnished beautifully, Orlege has absolutely everything you could need for a most relaxing break away”. Visiting journalists have been particularly impressed by the personal touches that set this place apart. The original artworks, the retention of some original fittings blending so well with its modernity, the quality of the detailing and the craftsmanship. And a kitchen to die for… essential as this is self-catering.
Tear yourselves away from this luxurious accommodation and you are spoilt for places to go, things to do, all within a half-hour or hour’s drive. Historic Edinburgh and New Lanark (of World Heritage status) are half an hour away by car. Stirling and Glasgow can be reached within an hour: the lovely Border country, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs all within 90 minutes and there are activities close by for all the family…. Fishing, climbing, walking, golf or just taking a picnic up the hill and getting away from everything but nature, sheep and birds. Some guests hardly move from the farm, using Orlege as a retreat from the pressures of work.
Orlege welcomes children and well-behaved pets.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||25 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car essential, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest Amenities||3 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Edinburgh 20 km, Nearest railway: West Calder 9 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player, Staffed property|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Telephone, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (1), Double beds (2), Cots (2), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 7|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ|
|Access||Wheelchair users, Secure parking|
|Further details indoors|
• 2 storey with one star-shaped bedroom upstairs with either one superkingsize bed and a single or 3 singles. Space here for a cot which we can provide
• Downstairs is a double bed
• Gallery mezzanine area with a sofa bed, ideal for children playing or those who want a more secluded area to read.
• Individually designed ensuite bathrooms attached to both with baths, power showers, toilets and handbasins.
• Spacious superbly equipped kitchen supplied with everything you can think of, from garlic presses to wine warmers / chillers. And plenty of
• Saucepans, crockery and cutlery.
• Seating for 6 in the kitchen as well as a dining room table in the living area.
• Relaxing comfortable seating in the light-filled living area
• Real oak floors with oriental rugs and sheepskins in the living and bedroom areas with stone flagstones and tiles elsewhere
• Under floor heating
• telephone for incoming and outgoing calls
• utility room with washing machine and tumble drier to allow you to shut out the noise by closing the door.
• Other facilities as listed above in the tick boxes
• Lots of books, games, puzzles
• Plenty of tourism literature to entice you to explore a wealth of opportunities locally and further afield.
|Further details outdoors|
Approached from Edinburgh or Lanark along the A70 fringed by the Pentland Hills, the sense of wonder does not stop when you reach Crosswoodhill and Orlege. Orlege is at the far end of a gracious 2 storey house built in the eighteenth century. With Scandinavian glazed windows and doors opening out onto a small flagstoned courtyard with seating it marries perfectly with the rest of the house. The courtyard is exclusive to Orlege.
Guests are welcome to also use the long lawn viewed from their windows and the woody area between their home and the road, with a wonderful maple tree in the immediate foreground. Parking is immediately adjacent to the property but out of sight. Neighbours are an older couple who have rented part of the house for 30+ years, the owners who live at the front and holiday guests staying in the more traditionally furnished section of the house known as the “Wing.”
On your immediate doorstep is the livestock farm with cows and sheep in the surrounding fields. Guests enjoy following the interpretational signs and exploring the farm. Just 30 minutes from Edinburgh city it’s another world
• Although we prefer Saturday to Saturday bookings we are happy to be flexible if this cannot work for you.
• If you see Orlege booked on the calendar for the week you hoped for, please use the form on this site to enquire about our other 3 cottages on the same Crosswoodhill Farm as they may have available the dates you want. Two sleep up to 6 people, with the largest property sleeping up to 16 people.
• Although we provide a guide on this website as to low and high prices these vary considerably from week to week. We can also offer you discounts for a late booking when the week is available, so do please do contact us via the form provided. We can signpost you to our rental rates on our own website which offers you a lot more information as well as almost 30 interior images of Orlege.
• We do charge fuel, electricity and outgoing phone calls as extras. As members awarded Gold for sustainability by The Green Tourism Business Scheme we encourage our guests to save when they can without compromising the enjoyment of their holiday.
The Lothians region
Edinburgh must be one of the must-see cities of the world. West Lothian is the name of the region adjoining the city centre, to the West. A main feature to the south of West Lothian is the Pentland Hills. And this is where we farm. And where we encourage our guests to spend as long as they have time for exploring the farm, whether it be a 5 minute walk through the fields or a longer walk up the hill.
West Lothian is ideally located for guests to explore north, south, east and west and the area itself offers great diversity with Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, a number of lovely country parks and a variety of retail outlets.
Linlithgow is worth a day in itself. Visit the Palace ruins and let your imagination and energies run riot. Take a boat trip along the canal. Amble around the loch and feed the ducks. Lots of nice little shops and some great places to eat.
Almond Valley Heritage Centre and the Five Sisters Zoo are magnets to kids who will talk about the time they had there for days.
Fishing is available on Crosswood Loch just a few fields away.
All of this makes a lovely contrast to all the other places you will want to visit whilst here... Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, the Trossachs, Fife, St. Andrews, Perthshire and the Borders. For all those interested, there's page after page on See & Do on our Fivestarholidaycottage.co. uk website.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
10 Nov 2012
"Beautiful setting, quiet & a lovely house"
Orlege End was a lovely week!The location is extremely quiet (exactly what we wanted) & on the owners farm, but it's within ten minutes of Livingston & half an hour of being parked up & shopping … More
24 Sep 2012
"Fantastic Place to Stay - Wish I could have stayed longer"
This must be about our sixth visit to Orlege. It's the sort of place that keeps calling you back. In between times we stay in other cottages in other areas, but then we hanker after all the l… More
You're booking with
- 2 Years listed
70% Response rate
Calendar last updated:08 Nov 2014
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site
- 1190 properties
- 290 properties
- 72 properties
- 62 properties
- 39 properties
- 33 properties
- 31 properties
- 28 properties
- 16 properties
- 14 properties
- 12 properties
- 11 properties
- Kinross, Scotland
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties