House | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 10
Portdale cottage is located just five minutes’ walk from the beach, on the outskirts of the town often referred to as one of Donegal's best kept secrets. Quiet and peaceful, yet only fifteen minutes from the larger town of Letterkenny, the house has easy access to all amenities, including the local shops, pubs and many excellent restaurants for eating out.
Four Bedroom Detached House is situated approx 200 metres from Dunfanaghy Village Centre, with plenty in the surrounding area to see and do during your stay. The property has a side garden, perfect for the children and a rear decked area with a table and chairs to enable you to dine al fresco.
|Size||Sleeps up to 10, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Killyhoey Blue Flag Beach 300 m|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||200 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Donegal Airport 40 km, Nearest railway: Londonderry 70 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||Single beds (4), Double beds (3), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set|
|Further details indoors|
Oil central heating. PVC double glazed windows and external doors • Open solid fuel fire in Living room • Walk in hotpress
Accommodation comprises:Ground Floor: Porch, Kitchen/Dining/Sunlounge, Living Room, Toilet/Cloakroom, Garage/Utility, Bedroom 1: First Floor: Bedroom 2, Bedroom 3(En-Suite), Bedroom 4, Bathroom.
|Further details outdoors|
Outside:- Side and Front Garden, Driveway with generous parking, Rear Decked area around Sunlounge
Terms and Conditions
Reservations of accommodation at the cottage are accepted subject to
these Terms and Conditions of Hire.
1. Contract: The Contract of Hire shall be between the Hirer and the Property owners.
2. Rental: Bookings for persons or groups under 21 years of age, also Hen and Stag groups cannot be accepted.
3. Bookings: Upon receipt of your enquiry by email or telephone, the cottage can be provisionally booked. This will be held for a period of seven days only (unless otherwise agreed with the owner). If no booking form and deposit is received within this period, then the provisional booking will be cancelled (a longer period will be given for overseas bookings).
4. Payment: Bookings made within 6 weeks of your holiday date must be paid for in full and in advance of occupation of the property (unless otherwise agreed with the owner). For a booking made more than 6 weeks before your holiday starts we require a breakages deposit of £250/€300, which will be refunded in full at the end of the holiday period booked (after satisfactory check of property is carried out). If the reservation is cancelled please refer to point 17. Short breaks must be paid for in full when being booked.
5. Balance: Upon payment of the deposit and subject to acceptance of the booking, the applicant becomes liable for the balance of the rent 6 weeks before for the period of letting (on agreement with the owner the balance can be paid in cash when checking in). Late booking payment by cheque must be made at least 14 working days before occupancy otherwise cash payment must be made upon arrival.
6. Damage / Extra cleaning: All bookings are accepted on the condition that the property is left in the same state of repair, order and cleanliness both inside and outside as at the start of the holiday, should you not have time to leave the house as you found it, there will be an additional charge of £30/€50. It is agreed that the person who made the booking will pay for breakage and / or damage and cleaning if so required. All breakages should be reported to the owners and minor damage should be noted in writing at the termination of the stay.
6A. Waste / Rubbish: All rubbish and waste must be placed in the correct Waste Bags and left in the bins provided (Sharkey Waste Bags can be purchased at the Centra store on Main Street in Dunfanaghy at a cost of approximately 5.50 Euro). The bin/s containing the proper waste bags must be left at the roadside on a Tuesday night, as collection will take place early on Wednesday morning (approx. time 5-5.30 am). Rubbish not contained in the correct waste bags will not be collected. A fee will be charged for the removal of all rubbish left at the end of your stay that is not in the correct waste bags. The fee will be calculated depending on amount of rubbish left and time taken to remove and will be deducted from the deposit.
7. Sleeping Capacity: The maximum number of people allowed is clearly stated in the description and extra persons cannot be accommodated. (unless otherwise agreed with the owner).
8. Availability: The Hiring Contract is made on the understanding that the property and its facilities as published on the internet will be available for the dates stated. In the event that the property is not available through events arising out of the control of the owner, or because of the sale of the property, then they may be forced to cancel the booking. The hirer will be advised of any such circumstances as early as possible, and will be refunded all monies paid in full with the Hirer having no further claim against the owner.
9. Occupation times: Tenancies commence after 2 pm (unless otherwise agreed), on the commencement date of the tenancy and terminate at 11.00 am on the leaving date. This is to ensure that the Cottage can be properly cleaned and prepared. During low season and for mid-week bookings these times can often be flexible.
10. Breakage Deposit: The owners reserve the right to impose a returnable breakage / deposit of £250/€300 for the property – (This is the initial deposit when booking) to be returned in part or full on the day of the group vacating the property.
11. Access: The Property Owner or his representatives shall be allowed access to the holiday accommodation at any reasonable time during any holiday occupancy.
13. Linen: The properties are equipped with bed linen for the number of beds provided. Towels are provided (limited supply therefore feel free to bring your own). Linen and blankets for cots are not supplied and should be brought by the visitor.
14. Smoking: Smoking is not allowed inside the house.
15. Special Needs: If you have special requests or needs, you are responsible for advising us at the time of booking, although we cannot guarantee that any requests will be met. Failure to meet special requests will not be a breach of contract. It is your responsibility to satisfy yourself that the property is completely suitable for your needs. Please note that if a particular requirement is not specified on the Website then it is not provided.
16. Motor Car and Personal Belongings: Baggage and personal belongings are at the Hirer's risk at all times, and no responsibility can be accepted for loss of or damage to any vehicle or its contents.
17. Cancellation and Insurance: If the hirer wishes to cancel the booking for any reason before the start of or during the holiday, they should advise us immediately by telephone or e-mail followed by a confirmatory letter. Upon receipt of such letter (but without any obligation to the hirer) the owner will attempt to obtain a replacement letting, and if such a letting is obtained, will then refund to the hirer any monies paid. If the owners are unable to re-let, then the owners shall be entitled to retain all payments already made. We advise guests to arrange cancellation insurance with the insurer of your choice.
18.Complaints: Every effort has been made to ensure that you have an enjoyable holiday. If however, you have any cause for complaint please contact the owners immediately if any problem arises so that it can be speedily resolved. The owners cannot subsequently consider any complaints or enter into any correspondence about them unless this procedure has been followed.
19. Data protection and Privacy: Information provided on Booking Forms will remain confidential and will not be disclosed to a third party or used for any other purpose.
Note: Information submitted to the advertisement companies by (the owners) for the advertisement of the cottage is in good faith. Visitors should be aware that the information may be incomplete, inaccurate or may have become out of date. Information given is for guidance only and should not be relied upon. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. If you require verified information please contact the owners before booking your holiday. All the information published is reviewed and approved by the holiday cottage owner prior to publishing. In the unlikely case that you find there has been an inaccurate description of a cottage then please contact the owners and it will be amended.
The Donegal region
Dunfanaghy is located on Donegal's North West coast, specifically the west side of Sheephaven Bay. At the northern end of the village is a three-mile-long sandy beach known as Killahoey Strand. On May 2, 1943, a Flying Fortress of the USAAF on a ferry flight to Northern Ireland landed on the beach after running out of fuel. The crew were entertained in the local hotel and the aircraft refuelled and took off again (to be destroyed 6 weeks later over Germany).
South of Dunfanaghy are New Lake and Tramore Strand, a two-mile-long beach. New Lake was formerly a salt water marsh, but during the First World War, over-cutting of the grass on the surrounding sand dunes led to their destabilisation and the movement of the sand to block up the river. As a result, the marsh filled with fresh water and became a lake. The sand also silted up Dunfanaghy harbour. The New Lake became a haven for seabirds and is now a Special Protection Area. Also nearby is Sessiagh Lough, a small lough with a crannog in the middle.
Across the bay from Dunfanaghy is Horn Head, which shelters Dunfanaghy from the Atlantic Ocean and is an Irish Natural Heritage Area.
The centre of Dunfanaghy is a small square with a market house built in 1847 and a quay built in 1831 and formerly used to export corn. There are four churches: Clondehorky Old Church (now ruined), Dunfanaghy Presbyterian Church, Holy Cross (Roman Catholic) and Holy Trinity (Church of Ireland). The village is also home to a golf club, several art galleries and craft shops, and a museum, situated in part of a former workhouse, which describes the effects of the Irish Potato Famine on Dunfanaghy.
Dunfanaghy is close to Port-na-Blagh and Marble Hill, both of which also have popular beaches. Other sights in the vicinity include: Ards Forest Park, Ards (Capuchin) Friary, Glenveagh National Park, Doe Castle and the Derryveagh Mountains, the most prominent being Muckish Mountain and Mount Errigal.
Dunfanaghy Golf Club is an 18-hole true links course laid out in 1905 by six times winner of the British Open, Mr Harry Vardon.
Donegal from the saddle explores the most north-westerly part of the Emerald Isle taking you through an amazing variety of terrain, high into the mountains, gallop over isolated beaches and meander through regions where Irish is still the first language, this an essential equestrian experience for everyone with a love of horses and the outdoors
Festivals/Events - St Patricks Day Parade Dunfanaghy March, Seafood Festival Dunfanaghy May
Also August fair, Jazz Festival, Halloween Madness and New Years celebration