Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
West Lane Cottage is a modern cottage but built using reclaimed materials and furnished to reflect its Country setting in a delightful village which has a pub and a children's play area both of which can be easily reached by taking a short walk along the adjacent bridle path. Many visitors return year after year to this cottage which is set in rural West Dorset yet is only 6 miles from Dorchester and 12 miles from the Jurassic Coast
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Weymouth 24 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bournemouth 45 km, Nearest railway: Dorchester 13 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors||
There is a living room with feature fireplace and "electric woodburner", TV with freeview, dvd player, IPod docking station, wi-fi internet access, and two comfy leather sofas. A second reception room offers flexibility and has a sofa, dvd player and plenty of games and books. The kitchen diner is very well equipped and has electric oven and hob, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge and freezer as well as everything you need for a self catering holiday. There is a downstairs cloakroom. Upstairs, you will find a double bedroom with plenty of storage and an en suite shower room. The second bedroom offers twin beds and an adjacent bathroom. Outside as a private and enclosed garden which adjoins a bridle path leading to a children's play area, the village Pub, and beyond!
|Further details outdoors||
The garden is private and enclosed. There is a dining table, 4 chairs and a parasol and the shed has a BBQ which you are welcome to use. The adjacent bridle path will take you to The Millennium Green play and picnic area which adjoins the River PIddle
The West Country region
Somerset and Dorset, which is the most easterly. Dorset is probably most famous for its coastline - the World Heritage Jurassic Coast - 95 miles representing 185 million years of geology, home to Chesil Beach, Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door. Towns to visit include the County Town of Dorchester, Lyme Regis, Weymouth, Corfe Castle, Bridport, Shaftesbury and Sherborne while villages not to be missed include Cerne Abbas, Abbotsbury and Milton Abbas.
Ancient sites include Dorchester's Roman Town House, The Hardy Monument, St Catherine's Chapel, Kingston Russell Stone Circle, Jordan Hill Roman Temple, Maiden Castle, The Cerne Abbas Giant, and many more.
The climate in Dorset is mild, less wet, cool and moist than the South-West of England generally.
Dorset is great for lovers of wildlife as its habitats are among the richest for biodiversity in the country. It is also the only county in England without a Motorway!
The County Town of Dorchester offers a good range of shops and places to eat, as well as Museums, Sports facilities, a Market Place and Gardens. On the outskirts is Poundbury, famous internationally as a pioneering example of urban development using principles expounded by The Prince of Wales.
Piddlehinton is mentioned in the Domesday Book and during the reign of King Athelstan in the 10th century was granted to the Abbot of Milton. William the Conqueror gave the village to his half brother Robert, Count of Mortain. In 1440 King Henry VI made a gift of ‘property including a farm and rent of £14-8-4 of Hynepuddle otherwise called Pydelhyngton’ to Eton College who owned it until as recently as 1966. St Mary the Virgin was dedicated in 1299.
The current village hall used to be the School - Mary Hardy, sister of Thomas, taught here for several years from 1870.