18th century half-timbered cottage near Domfront
from £38 /night help Price for guests, Nights approx:
from £38 /night help Price for guests, Nights approx:
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Contact the advertiser to confirm the total cost.
Cottage / 2 bedrooms / sleeps 8
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 2 bedrooms / sleeps 8
Les Challonnières is a beautiful half-timbered cottage built in approximately 1750 and is situated in the National Park. It is set in half an acre of enclosed gardens with swings fo the children and there is an orchard with apple, pear and damson trees.
About 2 miles away is the local village of Lonlay L'Abbaye with its famous biscuit factory, bakers, butchers, post office, mini supermarket, and 4 miles away is the medieval town of Domfront with its castle and all the shops you could want including 2 supermarkets.
The cottage has been tastefully restored yet has every modern convenience, most importantly it retains all the character including oak beams and a huge stone chimney with open fireplace so typical of the area. It is furnished and equipped to an exceptionally high standard and provides every home comfort.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||4 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: DInard 121 km, Nearest railway: Flers 27 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||CD player, Satellite TV|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, King Beds (1), Double beds (1), Single beds (2), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 7|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
- Bedroom 1 with king size bed and ensuite. Hairdryer.
- Bedroom 2 with double bed, and its own stair access. Hairdryer.
- Mezzanine level with 2 full size single day beds.
- Double sofa bed in lounge.
- En-suite to bedroom 1 with shower cubicle, hand basin, wc and heated towel rail.
- Main bathroom is fully tiled and has bath with shower over, hand basin, wc and heated towel rail.
Fitted kitchen with electric oven, halogen hob, dishwasher, washing machine, tall larder fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee machine, espresso pot, cafetière, popcorn maker. Extremely well equipped with everything you would need including hand mixer, blender, baking tins, lots of serving dishes. Sufficient crockery, cutlery, glasses etc for 8.
Sitting room :
- 3 seater sofa, 3 seater sofabed, armchair.
- Large traditional stone chimney with wood-burning stove. Oak beams. Oil-filled radiator. Door to patio
- Large selection of books, dvds, cds, games and jigsaw puzzles
- Staircase leading to mezzanine and master bedroom
- Large dining table, 8 chairs. Oak beams. Convector heater. Door to patio.
- Cupboard housing boiler, ironing board, iron, hoover. Extra shelving for storage, cool box with freezer packs, outdoor games including boules, badminton, quoits. Spiral staircase to bedroom 2.
|Further details outdoors|
Double gate to gravel driveway with parking for 1 car and another double gate to the garden, parking for several cars.
Lawned areas to the front (south facing), two sides and rear with lots of trees providing shade. In the rear garden there is a swing set with 2 swings, climbing rope and rope ladder. There is a small orchard providing apples, pears, damsons and blackcurrants (please help yourselves!); this backs onto woods on 2 sides.
The dining room and sitting room both have doors leading to the south facing patio. In the garden there are 3 tables, 14 chairs and a garden bench. We also provide a BBQ, 4 sun loungers, 2 parasols, 2 relaxers, boules, badminton, volleyball and quoits. The front garden overlooks fields but is hidden from the small lane by shrubs. Please note: there is a very small pond to the side of the house.
Last minute short term breaks will be considered.
The Basse-Normandie region
The Normandy region of France combines a 360-mile dramatic coastline, including the World War II landing beaches, with a verdant interior of lush farmland, bustling market towns, and historic landmarks such as the cities of Caen, Bayeux and Rouen. Gastronomic delights abound, from fine cheeses such as Camembert to pear and apple cider and Calvados.
Orne is located to the south of the Lower Normandy region. Relatively undiscovered compared to the coastal regions of Normandy, the Orne has a great deal to offer with large areas of scenic countryside, rivers and forests, and some interesting historic towns and pretty villages to be discovered.
There are so many places of interest to visit in the surrounding area providing something for the whole family including walking, cycling, canoeing, rock climbing, fishing, zoos and an aqua park.
- Domfront. A medieval town with a castle, originally built at the beginning of the 11th century.The town itself was also fortified, and many of the towers survive, along with sections of the ramparts - these provide a good backdrop for the numerous medieval houses and buildings to be seen in Domfort. Within the fortifications is the old town, an attractive region with narrow cobbled streets lined with half-timbered houses and some grander townhouses, interspersed with pleasant cafes and open squares.
- La Fosse Arthour (5 mins drive) offers climbing, fishing, horse riding, walks through pretty woodland and alongside waterfalls.
- Ferte Mace (20 mins by car) has a large leisure lake offering sandy beach, pedaloes, kayaks, swimming (life guard), as well as climbing wall, children's play area, mini-golf and bar.
- Andaines Forest (largely around Domfront, Bagnoles de l'Orne, and La Ferté-Macé) with its lakes and gorges and is ideal for walks, cycling and horse riding.
- Bagnoles de l'Orne dates back to the "Belle Epoque". Although it is the only spa town in Normandy, it is typical of all French spas, having an atmosphere of elegance and tranquillity. It is also famous for its casino overlooking the lake.
- Carrouges and Fougeres castles
- Other monuments include the cathedral at Sées; the Priory of Saint Michel de Crouttes (north-east of Argentan) is an attractive ancient building set in scenic gardens; while garden lovers will also want to head for the Jardins de la Mansonière (near Saint-Ceneri-le-Gerei).
- Saint-Ceneri-le-Gerei, classified as one of the 'most beautiful villages of France'
- Saint-Fraimbault, a 4* village-fleuri is brightly decorated with flowers during the warmer months: there are attractive displays around the public buildings, the park and lake and on nearly all of the houses. Rowing boats and pedalos may be hired at the lake.
- Another popular destination in the department is the National Stud at Haras-du-Pin
- There is a good selection of restaurants in the area: creperies, pizzerias, bistros, and others for the real gastronomes; all offer exceptional value for money. The area is famous for apple and pear cider, and calvados all of which can be bought directly from the local producers
There are several golf courses in the area including: Bagnoles de L'Orne,a beautiful 9 hole course, 2444m, par 33, with river running through it (water features on 7 of the holes). Closed Tues am. (20 mins away). Flers, an attractive parkland 9 hole course, 2110 m, par 32 (20 mins away).
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
29 Jul 2015
"Self contained hideaway with all the amenities"
A very well equipped and roomy cottage with all the modern facilities you need for a comfortable holiday. Whilst you are in the countryside it is only minutes from the medieval village of Domfont. Which has fantastic restaurants and plenty of shops for your supplies. Well located for visiting Mount St-Michel, beaches of Normandy and the local village of Bagnoles-del’Orne – all are a must
1 Oct 2012
"Lovely Property, in pleasant quite surroundings."
Perfect property for a lovely relaxing holiday. The propery is well equipped and the setting is very tranquil. We had a great time and would recommend to anyone.
Thank you for your kind words, we're so glad you enjoyed your holiday.
You're booking with
- 4 Years listed
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:16 Aug 2015
Based in United Kingdom
- +44 75139 54008