from £38 /night help
Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 8
Special offer: 10% discount off weekly rental price for remaining dates in December 2014.
Les Challonnières is a beautiful half-timbered cottage built in approximately 1750 and is situated in the National Park. It is set in half an acre of enclosed gardens with swings fo the children and there is an orchard with apple, pear and damson trees.
About 2 miles away is the local village of Lonlay L'Abbaye with its famous biscuit factory, bakers, butchers, post office, mini supermarket, and 4 miles away is the medieval town of Domfront which has all the shops you could want including 2 supermarkets.
The cottage has been tastefully restored yet has every modern convenience, most importantly it retains all the character including oak beams and a huge stone chimney with open fireplace so typical of the area. It is furnished and equipped to an exceptionally high standard and provides every home comfort.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||4 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: DInard 121 km, Nearest railway: Flers 27 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||CD player, Satellite TV|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 7|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set|
|Further details indoors|
- Bedroom 1 with king size bed and ensuite.
- Bedroom 2 with double bed, and its own stair access.
- Mezzanine level with 2 full size single day beds.
- Double sofa bed in lounge.
- En-suite to bedroom 1 with shower cubicle, hand basin, wc and heated towel rail.
- Main bathroom is fully tiled and has bath with shower over, hand basin, wc and heated towel rail.
Fitted kitchen with electric oven, halogen hob, dishwasher, washing machine, tall larder fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee machine, espresso pot, cafetière. Extremely well equipped with everything you would need including hand mixer, blender, baking tins, lots of serving dishes. Sufficient crockery, cutlery, glasses etc for 8.
Sitting room :
- 3 seater sofa, 3 seater sofabed, armchair.
- Large traditional stone chimney with wood-burning stove. Oak beams. Oil-filled radiator. Door to patio
- Large selection of books, dvds, cds, games and jigsaw puzzles
- Staircase leading to mezzanine and master bedroom
- Large dining table, 8 chairs. Oak beams. Convector heater. Door to patio.
- Cupboard housing boiler, ironing board, iron, hoover. Extra shelving for storage, cool box with freezer packs, outdoor games including boules, badminton, quoits. Spiral staircase to bedroom 2.
|Further details outdoors|
Double gate to gravel driveway with parking for 1 car and another double gate to the garden, parking for several cars.
Lawned areas to the front (south facing), two sides and rear with lots of trees providing shade. In the rear garden there is a swing set with 2 swings, climbing rope and rope ladder. There is a small orchard providing apples, pears, damsons and blackcurrants (please help yourselves!); this backs onto woods on 2 sides.
The dining room and sitting room both have doors leading to the south facing patio: there are 3 tables, 14 chairs, 2 parasols and a garden bench. We also provide a BBQ, 4 sun loungers, 2 relaxers, boules, badminton, volleyball and quoits. The front garden overlooks fields but is hidden from the small lane by shrubs. Please note: there is a very small pond to the side of the house.
Last minute short term breaks will be considered.
The Basse-Normandie region
The Normandy region of France combines a 360-mile dramatic coastline, including the World War II landing beaches, with a verdant interior of lush farmland, bustling market towns, and historic landmarks such as the cities of Caen, Bayeux and Rouen. Gastronomic delights abound, from fine cheeses such as Camembert to pear and apple cider and Calvados.
Orne is located to the south of the Lower Normandy region. Relatively undiscovered compared to the coastal regions of Normandy, the Orne has a great deal to offer with large areas of scenic countryside, rivers and forests, and some interesting historic towns and pretty villages to be discovered.
There are so many places of interest to visit in the surrounding area providing something for the whole family including walking, cycling, canoeing, rock climbing, fishing, zoos and an aqua park.
- Domfront. A medieval town with a castle, originally built at the beginning of the 11th century.The town itself was also fortified, and many of the towers survive, along with sections of the ramparts - these provide a good backdrop for the numerous medieval houses and buildings to be seen in Domfort. Within the fortifications is the old town, an attractive region with narrow cobbled streets lined with half-timbered houses and some grander townhouses, interspersed with pleasant cafes and open squares.
- La Fosse Arthour (5 mins drive) offers climbing, fishing, horse riding, walks through pretty woodland and alongside waterfalls.
- Ferte Mace (20 mins by car) has a large leisure lake offering sandy beach, pedaloes, kayaks, swimming (life guard), as well as climbing wall, children's play area, mini-golf and bar.
- Andaines Forest (largely around Domfront, Bagnoles de l'Orne, and La Ferté-Macé) with its lakes and gorges and is ideal for walks, cycling and horse riding.
- Bagnoles de l'Orne dates back to the "Belle Epoque". Although it is the only spa town in Normandy, it is typical of all French spas, having an atmosphere of elegance and tranquillity. It is also famous for its casino overlooking the lake.
- Carrouges and Fougeres castles
- Other monuments include the cathedral at Sées; the Priory of Saint Michel de Crouttes (north-east of Argentan) is an attractive ancient building set in scenic gardens; while garden lovers will also want to head for the Jardins de la Mansonière (near Saint-Ceneri-le-Gerei).
- Saint-Ceneri-le-Gerei, classified as one of the 'most beautiful villages of France'
- Saint-Fraimbault, a 4* village-fleuri is brightly decorated with flowers during the warmer months: there are attractive displays around the public buildings, the park and lake and on nearly all of the houses. Rowing boats and pedalos may be hired at the lake.
- Another popular destination in the department is the National Stud at Haras-du-Pin
- There is a good selection of restaurants in the area: creperies, pizzerias, bistros, and others for the real gastronomes; all offer exceptional value for money. The area is famous for apple and pear cider, and calvados all of which can be bought directly from the local producers
There are several golf courses in the area including: Bagnoles de L'Orne,a beautiful 9 hole course, 2444m, par 33, with river running through it (water features on 7 of the holes). Closed Tues am. (20 mins away). Flers, an attractive parkland 9 hole course, 2110 m, par 32 (20 mins away).
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
7 Oct 2014
"A beautiful well appointed clean cottage set in tranquil surroundings"
Often when you go on holiday it takes a day or two to "unwind" and get into holiday mode. Not so with Les Challonnieres. The lovely well appointed characterful very clean cottage set in suc… More
Thank you for your very kind words. It's lovely to hear that you felt "at home' straight away - that's exactly our intention. We pride ourselves on the high standard of the cottage: the furnishings, kitchen equipment, the garden and also its surrounding area where there is so much at hand to see & do. We're pleased that you found the booking process easy and found all the information we provide useful. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Normandy.
1 Sep 2014
What a beautiful cottage this is! It was so well equipped with everything we needed and in such a wonderful location. Our only regret was that our stay was so short!The gardens were just tranquil and … More
Thank you for your glowing review - it's good to know that you enjoyed your stay so much. As you say - it makes for a perfect get-away yet it's close to so many places of interest and is surrounded by beautiful countryside. We look forward to welcoming you back one day.
13 Apr 2014
"Most adorable cottage in Normandy."
Im not really a write a review Kind if girl, but after having rented this cottage for three days i just needed to share our experience.From thé first contact with Sue ( having been perfectly lovely a… More
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review, especially as you said you wouldn't normally write reviews. We're pleased to hear you had such a great time in and around the cottage and that you also enjoyed all the dvds etc. Thanks also for recommending Les Challonnières to your friends and we look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.
10 Mar 2014
"Un Vrai Reve"
Les Challonnieres will embrace you as it did us for four weeks, in winter.It is quiet, warm, evocative, and loved.The character is will share with you comes from its history and the warmth with which … More
It's lovely to know you appreciated our cottage; we have strived to make it feel like home for our guests. You rightly refer to its history with it dating back to 1750 and naturally with that comes all the character: the traditional beams and huge stone fireplace which are so typical of the area. We hope to welcome you back.
9 Mar 2014
"A perfect break from the "rat race""
What a lovely cottage! So well equipped . The weather was very wet, windy and cold and we soon got into the routine of firing up the log burner and settling in for cosy evenings. When the weather even… More
Thank you for your kind words, we're so pleased you enjoyed your break and felt so at home in our cottage. As you say, it's a lovely area with lots of interesting things to do and places to visit. And closer to home, quite a variety of birds come visiting as you mentioned - chaffinches, blue tits, woodpeckers and cuckoos, as well as the many birds of prey you'll see in the fields.
20 Nov 2013
"La Bonne Vie"
An idyllic and exceptional cottage and "Our Home" for a week.Indeed it did give a feeling of belonging and parting was tinged with sadness after a thoroughly enjoyable stay.I cannot recomme… More
Thank you both for your very kind words. It's nice to know that you felt at home in our cottage and enjoyed the surrounding area as well as sampling some of the great local cuisine.
28 Sep 2013
"Simply wonderful ... the perfect French cottage"
Location is so picturesque surrounding villages are wonderful. Cottage was just perfect we felt at home as soon as we arrived. Great central location for exploring all of Normandy. My son loved the … More
Thank you for your kind words. We're so pleased to hear you all enjoyed your holiday at Les Challonnières and that you felt at home there - that's exactly what we're aiming for. It's also nice to know that not just the cottage but the whole surrounding area appeals to all ages.
12 Aug 2013
"Charming French country cottage in idyllic surroundings!"
We stayed for 5 days at this beautiful cottage in July and wish we could have stayed longer! The cottage and it's large gardens are imaculate and have everything you could want whilst still keepi… More
Thank you so much for your kind words. We're pleased to hear you had such a wonderful time at our cottage which we try to give a real "home from home" feel but with a French slant. We will pass on your comments to the gardener and changeover lady to let them know their efforts are appreciated.
2 Jun 2013
"Beautiful Normandy house in idyllic tranquil location"
We have just returned from one week holiday stay at this beautiful ,spacious ,Normandy house.It is a hidden gem of a property surrounded by fields and trees opposite a very pleasant lane for walking … More
Lovely to hear that you enjoyed the cottage and its surroundings. Thanks for your kind words.
18 Mar 2013
"Wonderful French cottage"
We have just returned from this absolutely wonderful French cottage...to say it was everything we expected is an understatement...it's in such a beautiful setting..and so chocolate box ......easy… More
Thank you for this great review - it's good to know you had a great holiday and hope that you will return one day.
You're booking with
- 3 Years listed
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:15 Dec 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 2034 properties
- 110 properties
- 43 properties
- 30 properties
- 27 properties
- 16 properties
- 14 properties
- 14 properties
- St. Hilaire du Harcouet, Manche-old
- 14 properties
- Saint Michel de Montjoie-old
- 12 properties
- Bagnoles de l'Orne-old
- 11 properties
- 11 properties
- Lassay les Chateaux-old
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- St Hilaire du Harcouet-old
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- St Denis de Gastines-old
- 6 properties
- La Ferte Mace-old
- 6 properties