King John's Castle
from £1000 /night help Price for guests, Nights approx:
from £1000 /night help Price for guests, Nights approx:
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Contact the advertiser to confirm the total cost.
Castle / 7 bedrooms / sleeps 13
Availability Your dates are available
Castle / 7 bedrooms / sleeps 13
King John's Castle dates back to 1080 and was rebuilt in 1830. This exquisite English Castle is situated on an elevated position, giving magnificent views across the Wiltshire countryside together with having the advantage of being within a short walk of the delightful historic town of Devizes. There is a wealth of period features including some amazing antiques throughout the castle, which accommodates 13 guests in 7 bedrooms and is ideal for special occasions, including birthday and anniversary celebrations.
WOW FACTORS: *Historic Castle * Beautiful Grounds * Architectural Features * Chef Available (extra cost) *
The castle has a long and fascinating history. The first castle on this site was built by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury in 1080. Robert of Normandy, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, was imprisoned here from 1106 to 1126 by his younger brother Henry. In 1141 King Stephen was captured at the Battle of England and the castle was besieged by Wiltshire thanes under the direction of the triumphant Empress Matilda (the daughter and heir of King Henry I of England). Throughout the 13th century a number of Kings and notables stayed in the castle, including King John who often visited between 1204 and 1216. The castle was used as a prison by Henry II and Henry III and went on to become the property of Catherine of Aragon, the first wife of Henry VIII. Through time, it was owned by all of Henry VIII's wives.
Up until the late 14th century the castle was a major fortress in England and played a significant national role. Oliver Cromwell, in person, captured the castle in September 1645 and ordered the castle's destruction which started in 1648. The castle was dismantled and its stone used for local building works. What remains of the medieval castle today is just the original mound, the outline of the moat and traces of the foundations of the great hall. The castle that stands today was started in 1842 by Henry Goodridge, an architect from Bath. It was extended northwards from the 1860s onwards and the north tower incorporates the remains of a 17th century brick windmill.
King John's Castle is situated with an elevated position over Devizes, a small historic town in Wiltshire, only two hours from central London by car and 45 minutes from the city of Bath.
The nearest airport is London Heathrow which is 1.5 hours (77 miles) away.
The nearest train station is Melksham (8 miles) which has trains from London Paddington via Swindon which take around 1.5 hours.
The accommodation at King John's Castle sleeps up to 13 guests in 7 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms. All of the bedrooms and reception rooms are furnished with a beautiful mixture of antique and contemporary furnishings allowing the castle to have both warmth and wealth.
• Entrance Hall: a grand entrance to the castle through solid oak double doors that lead into a large entrance hallway with impressive dark wood stairs
• Kitchen: the modern kitchen is large and well equipped with full modern facilities for self-catering or for external caterers. There is a large induction hob, a large fridge and freezer, dishwasher, double oven, microwave and TV with Freeview, all arranged around a beautiful centre island with granite work surface. The kitchen has a breakfast bar with stools and a breakfast table that seats 10 guests. There is also a separate utility room with a washing machine and drier. Door leading out to the south facing back garden
• Sitting room: seating area with sofa and chairs, the perfect place to escape from the crowds and read a book
• Downstairs cloakroom with shower
• Drawing room: the drawing room has a large open fire and has a cosy feel with two walls of bookshelves. This room is beautifully furnished with elegant chairs, side tables and is the perfect place for relaxing in front of the fire. Striking globe light shades create a fantastic impact and work perfectly in this fascinating room. Large flat screen TV with BT Vision and DVD player
• Dining room: this spacious room is a few steps down from the library and has a beautiful wooden floor and an original exposed open fireplace with large carved mantelpiece. The magnificent large oak table can seat 13 to 18 guests on beautiful cream upholstered chairs with the windows giving views over the gardens
• Ballroom: this is found at the end of a long wide hallway. This room is an ideal extension for special occasions to seat up to 25 guests for dinner. An open fireplace gives a comfortable warm feeling and the ceiling is a lovely feature with a pattern of intricate wooden beams. Plenty of windows overlooking the beautiful gardens
• Sun room: wonderful room to sit in the summer with the views over the gardens
• Bedroom 1: the bedroom has a double bed with an en-suite bathroom with a walk-in shower
• Master bedroom: the Queens bedroom has a dark wood king sized bed, beautifully dressed with Manuel Canova's embroidered silk fabric and luxurious silk curtains nicely frame the bedroom windows. The bedrooms has an original exposed open fireplace and a seating area with views over the garden. A really unique feature of this room is a door to your own small private chapel. Door to en-suite which is down a few steps and has a bath, free standing shower and double sinks
• Bedroom 3: the Kings bedroom has a King-sized four poster bed in dramatic black wood which is heavily carved. The bed is dressed in luxurious black silk with a matching canopy. The bedroom has an original exposed open fireplace. The en-suite has an impressive side-by-side roll top bath and the separate W.C. is located in a tower
• Bedroom 4: King-sized double bed with a very pretty silver headboard and matching bedside tables
• Bedroom 5: King-sized double bed. Original exposed open fireplace
• Family bathroom: with bath and separate shower
• Bedroom 6: single bedroom off the hallway and up a small staircase. Very cosy with a small window providing spectacular views
• Bedroom 7: the Prince bedroom has a king-sized double bed with leather effect bed frame and an original exposed fireplace, as well as views across Devizes
• Family shower room: shower room with wash hand basin
King John's Castle has an inner bailey, surrounded by a dry moat, all laid to grass. The beautiful south facing gardens are tranquil with a variety of trees and shrubs. Parking is available for several cars.
• Dinner parties are permitted (additional cost) but a maximum of 25 guests including the 13 resident guests
• Sorry, weddings are not available
• Sorry, smoking is not permitted
• Dogs welcome on request only
• Sorry, no stag or hen parties
Services And Facilities
The following are included in the rental:
• Towels and bed linen
• Logs for fire
• Wi-Fi internet access
Services On Request
The following services are available on request, for which there will be an extra charge:
• Wow House Catering (our own company available for all occasions)
• Spa treatments: enjoy spa treatments in the castle
• Clay pigeon shooting (nearby shooting school)
Things To Do
• Visit the village of Laycock which was used in the Harry Potter films Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Lacock Abbey is also well worth a visit. It was founded in the early 13th century by Ela, Countess of Salisbury
• Walworth's Brewery in Devizes
• Devizes Museum
• Devizes Marina and Kennet and Avon Canal
• White Horse Devizes
• Stone circles at Avebury Wiltshire
• Visit Stonehenge
• Visit the house and grounds of Bowood Wiltshire
• Roman Baths Museum in the City of Bath
Pubs And Restaurants
• The Red Lion in East Chisenbury (12 miles).
• The White Horse Inn in Compton Bassett (10 miles).
• The Sign Of The Angel in Laycock (10 miles).
• The Brassiere and Restaurant at Lucknam Park (19 miles).
|Size||Sleeps up to 13, 7 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||7 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms, 3 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (6), Single beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 13, Lounge seats for 13|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
The Wiltshire region
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
15 Sep 2014
"What a lovely unique place to stay"
We have just returned from a family birthday weekend at the castle. Its really lovely with great decor and its so big.The bedrooms are all really nice with comfortable beds and high quality linen. The… More
You're booking with
David Kiernan (Property Manager David Kiernan)
- 1 Years listed
Calendar last updated:19 May 2015
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- +44 (0) 1242 220006