Castle | 10 bedrooms | sleeps 24

Key Info
  • Swimming pool
  • Great for children of all ages
  • Car advised
  • Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner
  • Private garden

Villa La Dogana, the ancient castle (about 650 sq. m) was lovingly renovated to maintain its original features. The large and somewhat severe cut of the villa-castle hides within its interiors the elegant yet warm and welcoming atmosphere of a countryside home. Your family or group of friends can enjoy the privacy of the whole villa to yourselves, with the swimming pool tucked behind the villa, gardens and comfort of private parking.

The villa is surrounded by a large garden. The large and beautiful swimming pool with a nearby changing room and shower offers the perfect setting for enjoying the Tuscan sun while a pergola offers a shaded area for relaxing and dining outdoors in the spring and summer as you enjoy a magnificent sunset with a glass of wine in hand.

10 bedrooms:

Ground floor: 1 bedroom; 1st floor: 1 double bedroom (king-size), 3 twin bedrooms (standard beds); 2nd floor: 1 double bedroom (king-size), 2 large twin bedrooms (beds large 150cm) 1 twin bedroom (standard beds); tower: playing-room with double sofa bed.

9 Bathrooms:

There is one toilet in the basement and 8 bathrooms distributed on the other floors. They all have a bath provided of a shower.

Modern kitchen (two ovens, two dishwashers, one fridge, one freezer), table for 6-8 and large fireplace.

Living Rooms:

Villa La Dogana has at the ground floor a big entrance/living room with fireplace, next door a large living-room with another fireplace and a little sitting-room with new satellite and digital television.

Large dining room at the basement (18-20 people)

Swimming Pool:

Magnificent and fully eqipped swimming-pool (8x17meters), with its 10 beds, armchairs, table under a pergola, shower and changing rooms

Garden:

Large lawns equipped with bersot and dining table for 24 people, playing section for football and volley-ball.

Parking.

Large parking space

Restaurant

Nearby Agritouristic restaurant with Tuscan specialities

Size Sleeps up to 24, 10 bedrooms
Will consider Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)
Access Car advised
Nearest Amenities 9 km
Nearest travel links Nearest airport: Amerigo Vespucci, Florence 35 km
Family friendly Great for children of all ages
Notes Pets welcome, No smoking at this property

Features and Facilities

Luxuries Log fire, Internet access, DVD player
General Central heating, TV, Video player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available
Standard Kettle, Toaster
Utilities Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine
Rooms 10 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms and 6 En suites, Solarium or roof terrace
Furniture 1 Sofa beds, Single beds (10), Double beds (6), Cots (1), Dining seats for 20, Lounge seats for 20
Other Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair
Outdoors Private garden, BBQ
Access Parking

The Tuscany region

Tuscany is the soul of Italy, not only for its central position, but also for its incredible landscape where art and nature live together in perfect harmony: olive trees, cypresses, woods and hills, interesting traditional towns and rich cities mixed together making Tuscany be unique.

Barberino di Mugello

In the heart of Tuscany is Florence, cradle of the Renaissance period, with its numerous masterpieces in art and architecture, among the most beautiful ever.

Mugello is an important cultural area not only because artists as great as Giotto and Beato Angelico where born here, but it also is the original land of the Medici family, protagonist of the Tuscan history since the XV century, with Cosimo the Elder and Lorenzo il Magnifico. A family which left fundamental contributions to the artistic richness of this area, cradle of the Florentine Renaissance.

Among the many places you can visit in the area, we recommend:

Villa di Cafaggiolo (1454) and the nearby Castello del Trebbio (1427-36) designed by Michelozzo for Cosimo il Vecchio and used by his grandson Lorenzo il Magnifico when he "escaped" from the city. The villa of Cafaggiolo was a Medicean residence, used by the powerful Tuscan family to give parties, balls and receive illustrious guests. It was a originally a small fortress, complete with two towers, a drawbridge, boundary walls and moats. Unfortunately, much of these structures don't remain today, likely destroyed during renovations done in 1864.

Convento del Bosco ai Frati, once known as Cernobio dei Basiliani (wanted by Cosimo il Vecchio by hand of Michelozzo in the XIV century).

The San Martino Medicean Fort (built between 1569 and 1600 by Bernardo Buontalenti, under the Medici family) in San Piero a Sieve

The Vicar's Palace (XIV century) in Scarperia.

Also in Scaperia, the Pieve di San'Agata is one of the most important Romanic sacred buildings in the area.

In Pratolino, on the way to Florence, you can visit the Villa Demidoff, or Parco Mediceo di Pratolino, (built by Buontalenti in 1568 for the Granduca Francesco I de' Medici, where you can visit its beautiful park which encloudes the famous Giambologna fountain: L' Appennino.

Particularly interesting are also the numerous towns that have developed from the Middle Ages to today, where the local people are still attached to their traditions.

On the outskirts of Barberino, you'll also find:

The Church of S. Andrea at Camoggiano, located on the way to Montecuccoli, is notable for the elegant gallery facade of the 1470. Inside there is a font glazed in white and gold terra-cotta with the stories of St. John the Baptist. The church is open on Sundays for Mass from 10:30 to 12:00.

The Church of SS. Jacopo and Maria in Cavallina today shows its 18th century renovations, hiding its more ancient roots. Inside, one will find a table by Perugino from the 16th century and a Madonna vy Taddeo Gaddi. In the adjacent oratory, a fresco of the Assumption is attributed to Pontormo's workshop.

The Pieve of S. Bartolomeno in Galliano is a church with very ancient origins. It was renovated in 1800, inside it has a fresco by Tito Chini.