Le Terme Haut, which comprises the Main Farmhouse and a converted Barn, is part of a tiny rural hamlet set amongst neighbouring fields, farms and vineyards, with beautiful distant views of the valley of the river Dropt. Very well located in an area famous for its 13th century Bastide towns with their charming arcaded central squares, it is just 5 km from Eymet, 18km from Bergerac airport, and 1 and a half hours from Bordeaux.
The property, which has immense character and charm, is set in a one acre garden.Owned by an English family for the last 30 years, it is tastefully furnished with antiques, paintings, and oriental rugs. Recently refurbished, it is equipped to a high standard including WiFi Broadband internet access, three English satellite tvs (free sat), and a wine cooler in the Main House kitchen.
The garden is delightful for children and adults alike. The old stone buildings with their red Dordogne tiles, the original bread oven, the two wells (fully secured) and the cherry orchard take you back in time. You can dine alfresco under the vine, or relax by the large private pool (heated for a supplementary payment and with electric security cover) from where there are beautiful views down the valley. There is also a building housing a large Games Room with table football, pool table, 42" flatscreen English satellite (free sat) tv and DVD.
The Main House provides spacious accommodation for 8 plus an infant, and the Barn sleeps 2 adults and 2 children. We are flexible over group size. We can let the whole property for up to 10 or 12, or the Main House on its own. In the latter case, the Barn would not be occupied so you would still have EXCLUSIVE USE of all facilities.
Besides being wonderful cycling and walking country, golf, tennis, horse riding, fishing and canoeing are all available within the vicinity. There are chateaux and wine tasting, good restaurants, colourful weekly markets, and summer festivals, and of course, foie gras, for which the area is famous.
|Size||Sleeps up to 12, 5 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||5.75 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bergerac 18 km, Nearest railway: Bergerac 27 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Private outdoor pool (heated), Internet access, DVD player|
|Pool||Private outdoor pool (heated)|
|General||TV, Video player, CD player, Pool or snooker table, Table tennis, Games room, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||Single beds (6), Double beds (3), Cots (1), Dining seats for 12, Lounge seats for 12|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private outdoor pool (heated), Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
THE MAIN HOUSE (4 BEDROOMS) SEE PHOTO GALLERY
- Twin beds in the master bedroom can be joined to form a double bed on request.
- Mosquito nets on the windows to keep out insects at night
- Fans in rooms
- Travel cot, high chair and stair gate on request.
- Kitchen/Breakfast Room: Views over the fields. Fully equipped including electric wine cooler. Table seats 4 to 5.
- Dining Room: original Dordogne fireplace, antique pine furniture, table seats 10 to 12.
- Beautiful spacious Sitting Room (19ft 6”x22ft9”/6mx7m): original Dordogne fireplace, antique furniture, oriental rugs, study area with desk, hand made floor tiles where you can find original paw prints!! 47" flat screen English satellite TV (free sat) and DVD.
- Master Bedroom (14ft9”x14ft9”/4.5mx4.5m). A delightful room with high ceiling, pine strip flooring, and French doors to garden. Twin beds which can be joined to form super king size bed on request.
- En suite: bath with shower above.
1 double bedroom
2 twin bedrooms
Family Bathroom:bath with shower above
THE BARN (SEE PHOTO GALLERY)
The Barn is tastefully furnished and provides comfortable accommodation for a couple and two children
- Twin beds in the master bedroom can be joined to form a super king size bed on request.
- Mosquito nets on the windows to keep out insects at night
- Fans in rooms
The Ground Floor
Entrance Hall, and a short passage leading to
Master Bedroom with twin beds or super king. French windows to terrace.
En suite:bath with shower above
In the passage, there is a specially designed recess, with two bunk beds and storage drawers, which is lit and aired from the large hall window. There is separate access to the bathroom.
Most attractive large open plan area which comprises:
- Living/dining room with sofa, easy chairs, oak dining table and dresser, and CD player/radio, (English satellite TV (free sat) and DVD.)
- Beautiful distant views over the valley of the river Dropt which is the boundary between the Dordogne and Lot et Garonne.
- The Kitchen Area:washing machine, gas cooker, microwave, fridge. (additional fridge freezer in the Pool Room).
|Further details outdoors|
The outside facilities are for the exclusive use of the tenants. If the Main House is rented on its own, the Barn will not be occupied.
- Large garden(approx. 1 acre ) with cherry orchard and adjoining field.
-Delightful terrace outside the dining room where you can dine alfresco under the vine. Equipped with table and seating for 12..
- The Games Room: Newly converted outbuilding close to the Barn and the Main House with pool table, table football, English Satellite TV (42" screen). (free sat) , and DVD player.
- The Pool Area was completely refurbished in 2005. The swimming pool, (12ft X36 ft) has Roman steps and a state of the art electric security cover. 10 sun loungers are provided. for a supplementary payment, pool heating is available.
- Pool Terrace with patio furniture
- Pool Room equipped with fridge/freezer,
- The property is managed by an English lady who lives nearby. She will visit you on arrival and be available in case of any problems.
- Very comprehensive details about the property and the locality including the medical centre, restaurants etc will be sent to you before departure.
- Rent includes linen on arrival. Fresh linen for subsequent weeks can be supplied by prior arrangement with the manager, and paid directly to her in euros at the time.
- A welcome food pack can be can be supplied by prior arrangement with the manager, and paid directly to her in euros at the time.
- Pool Security
Tenants use the pool at their own risk. Under French law, tenants are responsible for keeping the security cover on the pool when it is not attended. It functions with a simple electric switch and instructions will be provided. Any malfunction should be reported to the manager immediately.
- No smoking at the property.
The Dordogne is a region of Aquitaine in South West France named after the Dordogne river. Locally in France, however, it is still known by its ancient name of Perigord. A varied and beautiful region, it has been assigned colours to describe its different areas. The south east area around the medieval town of Sarlat is known as Perigord Noir (Black) on account of its thick oak forests.
The limestone area around Perigeux is known as Perigord Blanc (White). To the north are the meadowlands and woods of Perigord Vert ( Green). The famous wine growing area around Bergerac, where we are based, is known as Perigord Pourpre (Purple) on account of the abundance of its grapes.
The region is world famous for its pre-historic caves and cave paintings. The incredible animal cave paintings at Lascaux are accessible for a day’s visit from the property (127km), (book in advance). Lascaux 1 had to be closed to visitors, but the Lasceaux 11 caves house such exact replicas of the paintings that you would never know the difference.
The area is known for its fascinating medieval towns and chateaux, its beautiful landscape and outdoor activities, its gastronomy (this is the home of truffles and foie gras) and restaurants.
This corner of the Dordogne is famous for its 13th century 'Bastide' towns with their charming arcaded central squares and medieval and renaissance architecture. Many are within very easy reach , including Issigeac, Villa Real, Monflanquin and the most perfect of all, Monpazier. (Here you can also see beautiful hand blown glass being made). You can also visit the imposing and atmospheric medieval Chateau de Biron set high on a hill near Monpazier.
Eymet, our local small town set on the River Dropt, is a very attractive example of Bastide architecture. It has all types of shops, restaurants, cafes, two supermarkets, and a good medical centre with English speaking doctors. There are colourful market days in local towns offering an abundance of cheeses, pates, conserves, local wines, fruit and vegetables. (Don't miss the Issigeac Sunday market). The delightful market in Eymet has taken place every Thursday since the 13th century. The area is also a centre for the production of Foie Gras.
There is a scenic route (D107) to Bergerac which is on the Dordogne river. Bergerac has a beautifully restored centre with old stone and half-timbered houses. Nearby is the impressive Chateau Monbazillac which was built in 1550 and is famous for its desert wines. Many good local wines are produced in the Bergerac area, and at the 'Cave' in the square in Eymet, they will be happy to advise you in English. The fascinating hill town of St Emilion, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its famous vineyards and fascinating museum of ancient pottery is only an hour’s drive away, while Bordeaux is about one and a half hours.
We can advise you on the many excellent restaurants in the area. There are also concerts and fetes during the summer months. Details can be found at the information centre in the central square in Eymet, and in Bergerac.
There are bicycles, tennis courts, and canoes for hire in Eymet. Canoes can also be hired on the Dordogne river. If you fancy a round of golf, there is an 18 hole course at Monestier 30 minutes drive from the property, and also at Villeneuve Sur le Lot.