A charming and traditional rustic farmhouse, with dovecote/pigeonnier, dating from 1760.
Au Ciel Bleu is a house full of character situated in the heart of the Gorges de L'Aveyron - beautiful rivers, medieval towns, limestone cliffs and rolling hills.
Large open-plan kitchen,dining and living room, with large wood burning stove, T.V./DVD. Excellent , well equipped kitchen area.
There are two large bedrooms. (. Discount for 2 people staying ( if the annexe is not needed)
1) Bedroom 1 has a king-size bed and an excellent double sofa-bed. (adjacent shower room)
2) Bedroom 2 has a double bed and is self-contained with it's own entrance, large en suite shower room, and lounge area with good quality double sofa bed. No kitchen, but there is a dining table, fridge, microwave, toaster and electric kettle (Great if two couples are sharing the house.
3) Two terraces, back and front of the house, to make the most of the sun and privacy. Also 1/2 acre garden two minutes walk away. (Large plastic pool available for the back terrace, perfect for little ones in the hot weather, but adults enjoy cooling off in there as well!)
4) WIFI available
5) Parking in front of the house.
6) Access - Car recommended. but shops, Saturday market, library/tourist information, excellent pharmacy, take-away pizza bar, bakery,, small supermarket, river beach (perfect for children) and a good restaurant (overlooking the river) are within walking distance, in Varen.
8) This is a great house/area for themed holidays. More holiday accommodation in the village.
10) Linen /towels for hire. (Duvets and pillows provided).
11) Cleaning services available.
12) Walking distance to train station (Toulouse 1 hour)
13) Excellent open air swimming pool in St Antonin, and river swimming in Lagupie (10 mins drive)
14) 5 day breaks (enquire).
15) Canoes for hire in St Antonin, truly invigorating and stunningly beautiful sailing through the gorge. Good value too.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||2.5 hrs by car or train. Narbonne, Gruissan, Cap d'Agde|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||1.5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Toulouse or Rodez (90 mins drive to the house) 113 km, Nearest railway: Lexos is our local station. (Lexos to Toulouse 1 h 1.5 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||2 Sofa beds, King Beds (1), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden|
In this area of natural beauty with meandering rivers, hilltop villages and historic towns you can enjoy both stunning countryside and impressive architecture.
Au Ciel Bleu is perfectly located to discover the cultural wealth of this sunny part of South West France.
Cordes-sur-Ciel (30 mins) is one of France's biggest walled medieval cities. The city is the jewel amongst the Albigentian hilltop villages, and is well worth a visit. Sunflower fields and rolling hills will line your way and local wine growers will always invite you to a glass of wine.
From Au Ciel Bleu one can visit no less than nine of France's official 'most beautiful towns and villages', each one of them within easy distance, like Najac in the Aveyron department, Puycelci, Castelnau-de-Montmiral in the Tarn department and Bruniquel in the Tarn-et-Garonne department.
A day in Albi is a must, with its impressive cathedral and quaint streets. And if you like shopping, this is the place to go.
ST ANTONIN NOBLE VAL, located between the le Rouergue and le Quercy area, is one of the oldest towns in this corner of South West France. Don't miss the Sunday Market, and get there early as it is extremely popular.
There is a very good supermarket and petrol station on the outskirts of St Antonin Noble Val. On your way to St Antonin (15 mins from the house), after leaving the tunnel don't turn right over the bridge into St Antonin just carry on for 1/2 km. The supermarket is on the right.
Shops will close in St Antonin (and everywhere else, except in the bigger towns like Albi and Tououse) at 12pm for a leisurely 2 hour lunch break!.
There is an open air swimming pool and cinema in St Antonin.
There is a canoeing school where you can hire canoes.
The Tourist Information centre in St Antonin is excellent.
LAGUEPIE (5km) has all the shops you need and is excellent for river swimming.
The camp site in Laguepie is open to everyone and has a café, trampoline, plunge pool with water slide and sand playing for younger children , with no entrance fees!
The Le Segalar restaurant is 10 mins drive from the house. 12 euros for 4 course lunch + wine! They make excellent pizzas.
Najac (25mins away), has an excellent outdoor simming pool.
VAREN. (20 minute walk). There is a very good medical centre and chemist in Varen.
Market in Varen on Saturday morning (fruit, veg, meat and fish) 9am -1230pm
Excellent picnic area in Varen, esp for small children, paddling and swimming in safe and beautiful river setting.
Heated swimming pool (highly recommended)open to visitors at the Moulin de Julien campsite nr. Cordes sur Ciel (20 mins) Tel: 33.56.356.1110
TAKE AWAYS TO RESTAURANTS from budget to gourmet
Varen: pizza vival takeaway. Very good pizzas and right on your door step.
Verfeil :bar/restaurant La Seye et vous . basic, traditional food (10 minute drive)
Milhars Le Segalar pizza restaurant. Great food, good value for money (10 minute drive)
Penne: La terrasse restaurant. Great food. Set up in a hill top village with excellent views of the gorges and a ruined castle. (20minutes drive)
Laguépie: Les Deux Riviéres restaurant/hotel. Excellent food made to high standard (inside decor a little stuck in the 80s) (10minute drive)
Saint Antonin Noble Val: Le Carre Des Gourmets restaurant. Excellent food made to a very high standard with lovely views over the river. (15 minutes drive)