Villa Oriental is an elegant and refined residence, with an exclusive ethnic style as a perfect fusion of arabic- asian flavors, located in Valmontone, 40 km far from Rome. The property is in a beautiful green area on the top of a hill with open, breathtaking views, surrounded by a park full of olive trees, oaks and palm trees.
Inside the villa has 5 bedrooms, one king size bedroom with fireplace inside, four bathrooms, a refined and charming living room with Thai and Moroccan furniture and fireplace and a large kitchen (with all the facilities you may need to cook).
The floor under-earth level is carved into the rock and it welcomes you to a true SPA, immersed in a spiritual atmosphere, relaxing treat for the mind and body, complete Turkish -bath- sauna and massage room.
An elegant swimming pool situated on a dune that ensures privacy and a nearby multi-function tennis/soccer/volleyball court, complete the property.
|Size||Sleeps up to 12, 6 bedrooms|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Roma Fiumicino 80 km, Nearest railway: Genazzano 5 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, Yes, smoking allowed|
|Luxuries||Jacuzzi or hot tub, Sauna, Log fire, DVD player|
|Pool||Private outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, Air conditioning, Video player, CD player, Satellite TV|
|Standard||Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Fridge, Washing machine|
|Rooms||6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms of which 4 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Double beds (5), Single beds (1), Dining seats for 12, Lounge seats for 12|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Private outdoor pool (unheated), Private garden, Private tennis court|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
Lazio (pronounced [?lattsjo], Latin: Latium) is one of the 20 administrative regions of Italy, situated in the central peninsular section of the country. With about 5.7 million residents and a GDP of more than 170 billion euros, Lazio is the third most populated region of Italy, and has the second largest economy of the nation. Its capital is Rome, capital and largest city of Italy.
The Italian word Lazio descends from the Latin word Latium. The name of the region also survives in the tribal designation of the ancient population of Latins, Latini in the Latin language spoken by them and passed on to the city-state of Ancient Rome. Although the demography of ancient Rome was multi-ethnic, including, for example, Etruscans and other Italics besides the Latini, the latter were the dominant constituent. In Roman mythology, the tribe of the Latini took their name from king Latinus.
Apart from the mythical derivation of Lazio given by the ancients as the place where Jupiter "lay hid" from his father seeking to kill him, a major modern etymology is that Lazio comes from the Latin word "latus", meaning "wide", expressing the idea of "flat land" meaning the Roman Campagna. Much of Lazio is in fact flat or rolling. The lands originally inhabited by the Latini were extended into the territories of the Samnites, the Marsi, the Hernici, the Aequi, the Aurunci and the Volsci, all surrounding Italic tribes. This larger territory was still called Latium, but it was divided into Latium adiectum or Latium Novum, the added lands or New Latium, and Latium Vetus, or Old Latium, the older, smaller region.
The northern border of Lazio was the Tiber river, which divided it from Etruria.
The emperor Augustus officially united almost all of present-day Italy into a single geo-political entity, Italia, dividing it into eleven regions. Lazio – together with the present region of Campania immediately to the southeast of Lazio and the seat of Neapolis – became Region I.
After the Gothic War (535-554) and the Byzantine conquest, this region regained its freedom, because the "Roman Duchy" became the property of the Eastern Emperor. However the long wars against the barbarian Longobards weakened the region, which was seized by the Roman Bishop who already had several properties in those territories.
The strengthening of the religious and ecclesiastical aristocracy led to continuous power struggles between lords and the Roman bishop until the middle of the 16th century. Innocent III tried to strengthen his own territorial power, wishing to assert his authority in the provincial administrations of Tuscia, Campagna and Marittima through the Church's representatives, in order to reduce the power of the Colonna family. Other popes tried to do the same.
During the period when the papacy resided in Avignon, France (1309–1377), the feudal lords' power increased due to the absence of the Pope from Rome. Small communes, and Rome above all, opposed the lords' increasing power, and with Cola di Rienzo, they tried to present themselves as antagonists of the ecclesiastical power. However, between 1353 and 1367, the papacy regained control of Lazio and the rest of the Papal States.
From the middle of the 16th century, the papacy politically unified Lazio with the Papal States, so that these territories became provincial administrations of St. Peter's estate; governors in Viterbo, in Marittima and Campagna, and in Frosinone administered them for the papacy.
Lazio comprised the short-lived Roman Republic, in which it became a puppet state of the First French Republic under the forces of Napoleon Bonaparte. The Republic existed from 15 February 1798 until Lazio was returned to the Papal States in October 1799. In 1809, Lazio was annexed to the French Empire, but returned under the Pope in 1815.
On 20 September 1870 the capture of Rome, during the reign of Pope Pius IX, and France's defeat at Sedan, completed Italian unification, and Lazio was incorporated into the Kingdom of Italy.
Genazzano is a town and comune in the province of Rome, located on a tuff spur at 375 m over the sea level which, starting from the Monti Prenestini, ends on the Sacco River valley.
The name originates from its role as vacation resort for the ancient Roman gens Genucia. In the 11th century AD it was a fief of the Colonna family who, from their Baronal Palace (castle), controlled the road from Naples to Rome.
In the fifth century, during the reign of Pope Sixtus III, the town of Genazzano contributed a large portion of its revenue for the Roman basilica now known as Santa Maria Maggiore. In appreciation, a church was built in Genazzano and was later entrusted to the Augustinian Order in 1356.
VISIT TO GENAZZANO (Roma)
Via Francigena del Sud- dir. Prenestina
Arriving at Genazzano, outside the Roman Gate, on the southern section of the ancient Via Francigena, you will find the romantic Ninfeo, a Renaissance monument attributed to Bramante. Built in a green valley, crossed by a stream, the complex was never fully completed. It was probably built as a resort and is notable for the three Serlian arches which inspired the architect Palladio when designing some of his Venetian villas.
The Colonna Castle, which dates back to the 11th century, dominates the area on the spur of rock where the town is built, it is a “ship” amid the green Prenestini Mountains. The first defensive outpost was transformed into the main residence of the Colonna family in the late Middle Ages. Oddone Colonna, who became Pope Martin V in 1417, extended the residential west wing while also remodeling the urban fabric of the town. During the Renaissance, first the Borgia then again the Colonna family made various successive interventions which completed the transformation of the old manor into an imposing noble residence. The castle has belong to the Municipality since 1979 and is a museum and cultural centre as well as being the headquarters of CIAC, the International Centre of Contemporary Art.
Leave the Colonna Castle by the main exit, walk through the Medieval historic centre, passing by the Church of St Nicholas, Palazzo Apolloni and the Church of Our Lady (Sanctuary of Our Lady of Good Counsel). The image of the Madonna and Child which is venerated all over the world “arrived” in Genazzano, according to tradition, from Scutari in Albania around the time of the Muslim invasions (1467).
Next is the Church of St Paul dominated by the Romanic belltower. Pass by the Pilozzo Fountain and the Porta San Biagio, the oldest entrance gate into the city, before reaching the Roman Gate. On the left, a steep staircase leads to the Holy Cross Church which was originally built outside the town centre. The walls display frescos from four artistic cycles of different eras.
Climbing back up the hill on the left (Via del Senile, Sopportici and via del Papa), or to the right (via Brancaleone), beautiful views open out onto the valley below before reaching the Church of St John (under restoration).
North of the Castle, a pedestrian bridge leads to the Elcini Park which contains ruins of the Claudian Aqueduct, and the Monastery Church of St Pio (under restoration) can be reached on foot. Continuing on foot, on the right you will reach Colle Pizzuto hill which offers a beautiful panoramic view of the historical centre.
Outside the town centre, as well as the “Selva” Natural Monument, there are many walking paths and trails.