A quiet private oasis in the heart of the small market town of Saint Astier this property comprises an elegant French manor house with high ceilings, large windows and well proportioned rooms together with a recently renovated character cottage with many original features including an old stone firepace and exposed beams.
The proerty opens out onto delightful walled gardens and a large 14 meter swimming pool. All amenities are a short walk away making it an ideal holiday for young children, teenages and adults who prefer not to take the car everywhere!
The cottage can be taken separately outside of July and August (sleeps up to 7). We have cots, baby bouncers, a trampoline and a play house for young children who can wander safely within the walled gardens but outside of the fenced pool area.
All linen, towels, dish cloths and swimming towels are provided. A small welcome hamper is also provided free of charge.
|Size||Sleeps up to 7, 9 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||La Jemaye 20 km|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bergerac 35 km, Nearest railway: St Astier|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|Pool||Private outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||9 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms, 2 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (7), Double beds (4), Cots (4), Dining seats for 16, Lounge seats for 16|
|Outdoors||Private outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Swing set, Trampoline|
|Further details indoors|
* Very family friendly
* A short walk to shops and restaurants
* Wonderful French market comes to the town each Thursday
* Babysitting and childcare options available
* Option of fresh home made food delivered to the door
* Wonderful weekly market a short walk away
* Tennis and canoeing a short walk away
* St Astier train station 10 minutes walk
* Two kitchens and two laundry areas plus new for 2013 a state of the art granite American/French kitchen in the main house
|Further details outdoors|
* Lovely private gardens with many special play areas for children
* A range of seating areas for aduts who want to relax quietly by the pool and enjoy the lovely garden view, or read a book in one of the shady seating areas
* Mature walled gardens which are totally private with electric gates at both the front and rear and secure off road parking for up to four cars.
* There are a range of fruit and nut trees including peach, abricot, nectarine, apples, banan, pear, walnuts and almonds. There is also an exuberant wisteria to the south side of the mian house, numberous mature roses, an annual desplay of blue irises and a high surrounding laurel hedge.
* Guests are invited to help themselves to herbs for cooking and fruit when in season.
* There is no better way to end the day than by enjoying an evening drink under the St Emilion vine on one of the rear terraces
* A choice of out door eating areas two of which are covered
During the summer months the town and local chateau play host to annual events including antiques fairs; music festivals and occasional night markets. All are free of charge and wonderful fun for young and old alike. (There are two nights in the year when music can be heard from the house as otherwise it is very quiet.)
The whole property which sleeps 16 in total can be booked in July or August and the cottage can be booked outside of these months with the pool and gardens shared with the owners (who are very nice!).
Situated in the heart of the town you will have all the convenience of doing everything on foot including getting your daily bread and croissant from a choice of bakeries and the vibrant and colourful weekly market which is one of the best in the area.
Teenagers can explore cafes and shops on their own or play tennis, go to the cinema, book some canoeing on the river or even take the train to Perigueux or Bordeaux.
There is also a mini golf course for younger children and lovely walks by the river or for the more energetic you can run or walk for endless miles in the hills behind the house.
Adults can book a beauty treatment or massage either on-site or in the village, enjoy a meal out at one of the five restauranges (ranging from good quality family pizza to gourmet dining and all reasonably priced). Explore the french supermarket, the wine shop or get your nails done at Kitty's nail bar!
A short car ride away is a beautiful lake with a swimming beach, a great play park and restaurant. Nearby there is also an aqua park, horse riding, a prehistoric giant dinosaur park, famous caves, the roman museum in Perigueux and many many chateaux and gardens to explore. Other great days out include the wine town of St Emilion, the historic town of Sarlat and the sand dunes at Archachon.
The climate is generally short winters, lovely springs when everything is green and in bloom and long hot summmers.
There is never a dull moment in St Astier especially in the summer when the town plays host to many night markets, music events, summer celebrations, antique fairs and night markets.