Offering the best of both worlds so close to Edinburgh , this unique, exceptionally tasteful 5 STAR conversion in the countryside, wows romantic couples and families alike. It sleeps up to 4 ideally but will accommodate 6 people. Flexibly designed, Orlege's sumptuous light-flooded interior, with its 2 storeyed layout, is excitingly different with double height ceilings and an open flow area downstairs. It would be hard to find in the city, within the same price range, something so grand and spacious. Go rural instead! If not convinced, please type ORLEGE into the search area of the Trip Advisor website and up will pop a mass of splendid reviews from past guests.
And at Crosswoodhill you have the added bonus of tranquil rural surroundings, lovely views with a livestock farm on your doorstep and the Pentland Hills beckoning beyond. There's also the huge advantage of easy free parking immediately adjacent to your accommodation. If you opted to stay within the city centre you could spend half an hour seeking somewhere to park at a cost. Why not instead use the half hour to drive out from Edinburgh to Orlege and let your passengers feast their eyes on the Pentland Hills unfolding for 10 miles as you leave the city boundary? And then park for free and unload the car within minutes?
You'll find more detail further down, but here is a taster of what you too could enjoy in Orlege End, prefaced by a typical quote: “Stunning, stunning, stunning and finished and furnished beautifully, Orlege has absolutely everything you could need for a most relaxing break away”. Visiting journalists have been particularly impressed by the personal touches that set this place apart. The original artworks, the retention of some original fittings blending so well with its modernity, the quality of the detailing and the craftsmanship. And a kitchen to die for… essential as this is self-catering.
Tear yourselves away from this luxurious accommodation and you are spoilt for places to go, things to do, all within a half-hour or hour's drive. Historic Edinburgh and New Lanark (of World Heritage status) are half an hour away by car. Stirling and Glasgow can be reached within an hour: the lovely Border country, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs all within 90 minutes and there are activities close by for all the family…. Fishing, climbing, walking, golf or just taking a picnic up the hill and getting away from everything but nature, sheep and birds. Some guests hardly move from the farm, using Orlege as a retreat from the pressures of work. But for those who do, the owners' website has a huge See & Do section listing in some detail all the exciting places within easy reach, to allow you to plan days out in advance..
Orlege welcomes children and well-behaved pets. Pets are charged at £20 per pet per week.
Please note that fuel for hot water and heating + electricity are charged at cost as extras at the end of your stay. The amounts used are measurable and controllable by you as the guest. The owner makes no profit from this.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||25 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||3 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Edinburgh 20 km, Nearest railway: West Calder 9 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player, Staffed property|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Telephone, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Double beds (2), Single beds (1), Cots (2), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 7|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ|
|Access||Secure parking, Suitable for people with restricted mobility, Wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
• 2 storey with one star-shaped bedroom upstairs with either one superkingsize bed and a single or 3 singles. Space here for a cot which we can provide
• Downstairs is a double bed but this is not in a standard bedroom, but in a "sleeping area" which can be closed off from the main living area at night. Effectively, when used as a sleeping area, this is a "bedroom" with 3 proper walls and a double curtained "wall." The very comfortable double bed with a fully sprung mattress, concealed during daytime, lets down from the bank of cupboards. Double sided curtains can be drawn right across the room effectively forming a fourth wall, the only drawback being that this one wall is not "soundproof" though it screens out all the light and this sleeping area has its own window and ensuite bathroom. For those unsure of how this works a moving photo-image of this bed can be seen on the owners' website
• Gallery mezzanine area with a sofa bed which would sleep a 6th person. Please note, though comfortable, this is a sofa bed, not a standard bed. This area is ideal for children playing or for those who want a more secluded area to read.
• 2 Individually designed ensuite bathrooms attached to both the upstairs bedroom and the sleeping area downstairs, both with baths, power showers, toilets and handbasins.
• Spacious superbly equipped kitchen supplied with everything you can think of, from garlic presses to wine warmers / chillers. And plenty of
• Saucepans, crockery and cutlery.
• Seating for 6 in the kitchen as well as a dining room table in the living area.
• Relaxing comfortable seating in the light-filled living area
• Real oak floors with oriental rugs and sheepskins in the living and bedroom areas with stone flagstones and tiles elsewhere
• Under floor heating
• Free Wi-Fi and a Sonos system
• telephone for incoming ( free ) and outgoing ( paid for ) calls
• utility room with washing machine and tumble drier to allow you to shut out the noise by closing the door.
• Other facilities as listed above in the tick boxes
• Lots of books, games, puzzles
• Plenty of tourism literature to entice you to explore a wealth of opportunities locally and further afield.
|Further details outdoors|
Approached from Edinburgh or Lanark along the A70 fringed by the Pentland Hills, the sense of wonder does not stop when you reach Crosswoodhill Farm and Orlege End. Orlege is at the far end of a gracious 2 storey house built in the eighteenth century. With Scandinavian glazed windows and doors opening out onto a small flagstoned courtyard with seating it marries perfectly with the rest of the house. The courtyard is exclusive to Orlege.
Guests are welcome to also use the long lawn viewed from their windows and the woody area between their home and the road, with a wonderful maple tree in the immediate foreground. Parking is immediately adjacent to the property but out of sight. Neighbours are an older couple who have rented part of the house for 30+ years, the owners who live at the front and holiday guests staying in the more traditionally furnished section of the house known as the “Wing.”
On your immediate doorstep is the livestock farm with cows and sheep in the surrounding fields. Guests enjoy following the interpretational signs and exploring the farm. Just 30 minutes from Edinburgh city it's another world
• Although we prefer Saturday to Saturday bookings we are happy to be flexible if this cannot work for you.
• If you see Orlege booked on the calendar for the week you hoped for, please use the form on this site to enquire about our other 3 cottages on the same Crosswoodhill Farm as they may have available the dates you want. Two sleep up to 6 people, with the largest property sleeping up to 16 people.
• Although we provide a guide on this website as to low and high prices these vary considerably from week to week. We can also offer you discounts for a late booking when the week is available, so do please do contact us via the form provided. We can signpost you to our rental rates on our own website which offers you a lot more information as well as almost 30 interior images of Orlege.
• We do charge fuel, electricity and outgoing phone calls as extras. As members awarded Gold for sustainability by The Green Tourism Business Scheme we encourage our guests to save when they can without compromising the enjoyment of their holiday.
Edinburgh must be one of the must-see cities of the world. West Lothian is the name of the region adjoining the city centre, to the West. A main feature to the south of West Lothian is the Pentland Hills. And this is where we farm. And where we encourage our guests to spend as long as they have time for exploring the farm, whether it be a 5 minute walk through the fields or a longer walk up the hill.
West Lothian is ideally located for guests to explore north, south, east and west and the area itself offers great diversity with Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, a number of lovely country parks and a variety of retail outlets.
Linlithgow is worth a day in itself. Visit the Palace ruins and let your imagination and energies run riot. Take a boat trip along the canal. Amble around the loch and feed the ducks. Lots of nice little shops and some great places to eat.
Almond Valley Heritage Centre and the Five Sisters Zoo are magnets to kids who will talk about the time they had there for days.
Fishing is available on Crosswood Loch just a few fields away.
All of this makes a lovely contrast to all the other places you will want to visit whilst here... Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, the Trossachs, Fife, St. Andrews, Perthshire and the Borders. For all those interested, there's page after page on See & Do on our Fivestarholidaycottage.co. uk website.