With old ship's beams and velux windows, quality contemporary furnishings and fittings and unfussy décor, recently refurbished 2 Shoe Lane is tucked in a historic part of Berwick town with great views a stone's throw away, providing a gorgeous and comfortable base for sightseeing and a whole range of activities. Or simply come to relax!
The apartment has one lovely bedroom (sleeps two) with king-size bed (memory foam mattress and crisp, fresh bed linen), a generous living and dining space with beamed high roof, a well-equipped, good-sized part-partitioned kitchen, a light and attractive bathroom with bath and overbath shower and a private hallway and entrance stair.
Whether you want to sightsee and visit the many attractions of Northumberland (Bamburgh & Alnwick castles, Lindisfarne, Holy Island & more) or chill out and enjoy the glorious beaches and countryside of this beautiful coastline, here is the ideally located holiday base to do it from. Cycle or walk for miles along beaches or coastal walkways, spot river and sea birds, explore and wander ancient sites, hillwalk in the Cheviots, or relax and unwind in front of the woodburner with a glass of wine and a good book! The choices are plentiful and Shoe Lane is your welcoming holiday base.
This is a fantastic spot too for writers, artists and photographers, whether professional or amateur, as there is so much natural beauty to observe and explore, and a peaceful holiday home to provide creative space.Come and get inspired!
|Size||Sleeps up to 2, 1 bedrooms|
|Check in time:||15:00|
|Check out time:||10:00|
|Nearest beach||Berwick or Spittal 500 m|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest Amenities||100 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Edinburgh, Newcastle 70 km, Nearest railway: Berwick Upon Tweed 1 km|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||King Beds (1), Dining seats for 2, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Access||Parking, Suitable for people with restricted mobility, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
* apartment conversion from historic victorian shoe workshop (Grade II Listed conservation buildling)
* car parks are free throughout Berwick
* free wi-fi
* old ship beams throughout provide character
* high attic ceilings give lots of light and space
* blackout blind in bedroom
* french doors open above courtyard (juliet balcony)
* woodburning stove and efficient electric heaters
* private short staircase with sturdy handrail
* thoughtfully equipped to make your holiday easy
* light,neutral colours with tasteful touches
* quality bedlinen and towels included
* complimentary items for kitchen and bathroom
* conveniently located yet tucked away
|Further details outdoors|
* Offload luggage and shopping at the courtyard entrance and park in several options close by (car parks are free) or come by train! Station within walking distance, courtesy collection may be available, please ask.
* the apartment entrance is up three steps with a short railing. There is a staircase (around 12 steps) with sturdy bannister inside.
* English speaking owner
* Bed linen and towels provided
* Strictly no smoking in or around the property
* Close to railway station, on main East Coast line between London and Edinburgh
* Fast train access (45 mins) to Edinburgh or Newcastle
* rental terms and conditions apply
* welcome items for your arrival
North Northumberland is a secret gem of incredible natural beauty, with a breathtaking coastline. The rural areas offer delightful countryside of rolling hills, fields and woodland peppered with attractive villages and small towns. Fabulous coastal walkways and cycle paths make this a special location for lovers of the outdoors. Be sure to bring your camera and binoculars!
Being on the main East Coast rail link between London and Scotland means that you are an easy 45 minutes' direct train ride from both Edinburgh (with its major international Festival in August) and Newcastle. Perfect for a day trip to either city and without having to pay city accommodation rates!
The coastline here is an official Area of Outstanding Beauty - and it shows. Within half an hour's drive you can walk for miles in the peace of the Cheviot hills, or from the doorstep wildlife-watch along the Tweed estuary. Or cycle for hours along the miles of coastal cycleways, stopping off wherever you fancy.
Impressive Bamburgh Castle on an exceptionally glorious beach is only 18 miles away, Holy Island with Lindisfarne Castle and the Farne Islands, museum, delightful boat tripswith seal/seabird spotting are all on offer. Alnwick Castle and the famous Alnwick Gardens are within easy reach, just 40 minutes' drive. Kelso, Coldstream, St Abbs and Eyemouth offer further attractions to explore. You're truly spoilt for choice!
Enjoy the local arts scene here in Berwick (two galleries, barracks museum, lively theatre and cinema) plus the cafes and restaurants this coastal town with its historic Elizabethan ramparts and riverside castle ruins has to offer. There's a good pub (arguably the best in Berwick!) a couple of minutes' walk along the street, which offers excellent real ale on tap, and a great little micropub too, plus three good quality bistros very close by. Yet you can escape in an instant for a quiet walk or an energetic hike or cycle, or even a romantic walk along the river or beach while the sun is going down! Whether it's seal-spotting, curling up at the apartment with a good book, or looking at the town's historic buildings, here you've got a lovely, comfortable and well-equipped holiday base.