Near the Golf of Château des Vigiers and close to the Castes of Monbazillac & Bridoire, Les Grands Chênes, situated in a lovely area of the Western Dordogne, between the medieval towns of Bergerac, Duras & Eymet and just 10 minutes south of Bergerac airport ( Daily low cost flights from UK, Belgium , Holland & Germany).
Set on 8 acres of unspoiled, safe and peaceful land, the large and luxurious Villa, full of charm and character, has recently been renovated in order to retain its original stone walls, beamed ceilings and furnished with elegance and comfort. The attractive property has been modernised to the highest standards and includes the latest facilities.
Les Grands Chênes is ideal for outdoor living with a large heated swimming pool (11m x5m), a vast covered terrace just in front of the kitchen & several others around, stunning south facing views overlooking a rolling countryside, vineyards and a lake.
Includes 12 large & comfortable bedrooms, 10 bathrooms/shower rooms, 10 toilets and caters for parties of all sizes up to 25 people ( Family or friends gatherings, anniversaries, wine tasting parties, club meetings…), this charming property is able to accommodate both the very young ( cots, high chairs, games, bikes…) and the elderly (2 independent self-contained apartments with secondary equipped kitchens).
Video of property interior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdK3scm_2FU
Exterior property video is below.
|Size||Sleeps up to 25, 12 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Beach at 120 km|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||4 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bergerac Roumanière 8 km, Nearest railway: Bergerac 10 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, Yes, smoking allowed|
|Luxuries||Jacuzzi or hot tub, Sauna, Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Table tennis, Games room, Safe, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||12 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms, 6 En suites and 2 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (11), Double beds (7), Cots (2), Dining seats for 25, Lounge seats for 18|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set, Trampoline, Private fishing lake or river|
|Further details indoors|
The light and spacious house has its living quarters on a single floor, and comprises a fully equipped kitchen, large dining room and a spacious lounge with billiard room. There are 12 comfortable bedrooms and 9 shower rooms / bathrooms + 1 shower room in the relaxation building ( Most of them with jacuzzi). There is a spa building dedicated to relaxation with a large jacuzzi/Hot tub ( 5 persons), sauna, fitness equipment and shower room.
A) main living accommodation:
Fully equipped kitchen 25m² catering for all needs and for keen cooks to try out the local specialities (an adjoining laundry room provides washing and drying facilities), a large dining room 40m² with oak tables and comfortable chairs, a large and pleasant living room 45m² with fire place and easy leather armchairs and settees, a billiard room 40m² with bar , 8 comfortable bedrooms (from 13m² to 27m²), each with top quality bedding, some with queen size bed, en-suite bathroom and private terrace, 4 shower-rooms ( 2 with balneo), 1 bathroom and 5 wc.
b) 4 independent bedrooms with en-suite bathroom or shower and wc.
These last four large bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms / shower rooms (balneo), at the end of the house facing the swimming pool, have their own entries leading out onto a pleasant patio. They are all fitted with top quality bedding and queen or king size beds. Two of them have a fully fitted kitchen area and can communicate with the other bedrooms if so desired. These rooms make up 2 independent lodgings
and, except in summer while the property is let in its entirety, can be rented separately, housing up to 8 people.
All the house's rooms are well decorated and furnished. Most have high, beamed, ceilings. The whole property is centrally heated.
c) A 120m² recently renovated building dedicated to relaxation:
with a room including a large spa for 5 persons, a sauna, physical training equipment and a shower room with balneo shower and wc.
Dishwashers, freezers, American and European fridges, ovens, microwave ovens, expresso machine, washing machines, tumble dryer, ironing facilities, etc...
Additional internal facilities:
Free internet access, Satelitte television, video recorder, DVD player, Hi-Fi system with a CD and K7 collection available in the living room. Lowrey organ and classic guitar in the billiard room.
|Further details outdoors|
On the spot:
- The pool terraces have been designed to offer the maximum space for guests whilst maximising individual space. The 11x5m heated pool, equipped with an immersion alarm for the safety of small children, is surrounded by several levels of terraces and beautiful flower groves.
In addition, there is 7 other terraces around the villa:
* a 3,5 x 3,5m stone terrace outside the kitchen ideal for having breakfast while breathing crisp morning air.
* a 10 x 3,5m covered terrace for the outdoor meals of the whole group, just in front the main kitchen to save too much walking.
* a 4,5 x 3,5m south terrace under superb pine trees, overlooking the pool, ideal to watch the swimming area and view the breathtaking sunsets while having a drink.
* a 4 x 3m sheltered stone terrace on one side of the villa, surrounded by flowers and trees.
* a 3,2 x 3,2m cosy stone terrace bordered by a fig tree outside the master bedroom.
* a 4,7 x 3,5m stone terrace at the other side of the villa, shared by both a double bedroom and a twin bedroom, surrounded by stone walls and flowers groves.
* a 3 x 3,5m romantic terrace with bench under a century old oak, facing woods, beside the Jacuzzi and Sauna building.
Outdoor lighting throughout enables the pool and terraces to be used late into the evening.
- a relaxation room with Jacuzzi (5 people), sauna, balneo shower and fitness equipment
- the billiard room is always available, also a Lowrey organ and a guitar
- the mature garden makes for peaceful relaxation,
- there is a children's area with trampoline, swings, ping-pong, table football, volley-ball, mountain bikes, darts; Complete garden furniture, a large barbecue, sun loungers, several covered or open air terraces around the house and a parking area.
- riding school (800m) which offers horse riding in the nearby countryside
- hiking in the neighbourhood along numerous marked routes
- tennis courts and stretch of water 5 minutes away catering for various pursuits
- a well-known golf course 15 minutes away
- canoeing, aqua parc, karting, first flight or discovery flights, bowling, tennis courts, discotheques, cinema… in Bergerac
From April to October, the property is let in its entirety to the same party of people who alone takes advantage of the setting.
Dordogne is one of the most popular areas of France as well as one of the warmest and most clement.
It is said that Dordogne is the land of a thousand and one castles: It is not a legend!
Main Medieval Cities:
- Sarlat : Capital of the Périgord Noir region. A number of hotels and other buildings display the classic architecture of the XVth century including some exquisite roofs. A number of hotels and other buildings have retained their original XVth century architecture with their light stone and roofing techniques. Sarlat has a higher number of listed or inscribed builings in one square kilometre than anywhere else in Europe
- Périgueux: Capital of the Dordogne, and namesake of the local 'Perigord' area, the town contains 39 buildings and monuments of historical interest. Vesunna, the gallo-roman museum, is well worth a visit. As you wind through the lanes of Perigueux, built during the medieval-Renaissance era, you can sense that your surroundings are steeped in nearly 2000 years of history.
- Bergerac: Between the River Dordogne, one of the most beautiful rivers of France, and the vineyards of Pecharmant, Bergerac offers you roman churches, narrow lanes, half-timbered houses, walks in Gabarre, excursions pedestrian along the old paths near the river, etc...
The south-west corner of the Perigord is also famous for its Bastides, a string of "new" towns created in the 13th century, by both the English and the French, essentially to promote commerce. Later, fortified, they became very important in the Hundred Years War and changed hands many times. Sainte Foy la Grande, Bergerac, Eymet, Duras, Beaumont, Monpazier, Issigeac & Monflanquin are just some of the medieval towns within a short drive.
Château des Vigiers, 27 hole golf course, one of the best golf resorts of France, is only 10 minutes away.
In addition to the general relaxation and various sporting activities on the property, you can explore the many treasures of the Perigord, an abundance of prehistoric painted & carved caves, picturesque markets & medieval villages, bastide towns, roman churches and abbeys, excellent restaurants, outstanding food, some of the world’s finest wines: Monbazillac, Saint-Emilion and just a little further afield, Sauternes, Margaux, Pomerol, Saint-Estèphe… and at least thirteen different kind of Bergerac wine to discover locally.
The Bergerac region is a sightseer’s delight with its historical monuments, cloisters and caves. There is something to surprise you at every turn.
The region is particularly lively in Spring, Summer and beginning of Autumn, with outdoor events galore.
Each town or village has its own fetes and events. Open-air markets at local bastide towns are a daily event, also night markets with outdoor meals, arts, crafts, clothing and attractions: E.g.,in Eymet (10 mn), where you can seat down on the market square and savour mussels, barbecued duck, foie gras and other delicacies with some local red, white or rosé wine while the youngsters can wander off and find a few souvenirs.
In Bergerac ( 10 minutes)
Take your time strolling through the lanes bordered by wood-worked homes and several residences of yesteryear. Cyrano de Bergerac awaits you!…for wine tasting, a ride aboard a traditional barge or a tour by “little train”. Enter the wine history thanks to exhibitions, projections and tasting sessions offered by La Maison des Vins with a charming cloister, and where events & entertainments take place all year round.
Continue your tour with the Tobacco Museum and the Museum of Wine and Barging Tradition which highlight the important role of the river in the social and economic development of Bergerac over the last centuries. Within a a stone throw, any sculpture lover will enjoy visiting the remarkable Musée Costi.
In every direction around Bergerac, the undulating countryside is stripped with vines.
Going from many castles ( Monbazillac, Lanquais…) to marvellous places of interest
( Moulin de la Rouzique in Couze, the medieval village of Issigeac, Caves de Maxange in Le Buisson de Cadouin…), give yourself enough spare time to also discover Le Pays des Bastides ( Monpazier, Beaumont du Périgord…). In the opposite direction, leading to Saint Emilion, have a stop at Tower of Montaigne and visit Gallo-Roman Ruins in Montcaret.
Sigoulès, the nearest village (4 km) has all the amenities of a typical French village including restaurants, supermarket, bakery, delicatessen, tabac, newsagents, café, pharmacy,
dentist, doctor’s office…