Our charming gîte is located in the pretty farming village of Ance, having many local walks leading you up hills to fantastic views of the mountains and through woods and along rivers. It has been tastefully decorated throughout, providing spacious accommodation on one level, ideal for infants, so you don't have to worry about steep stairs!
La Grange is 10 mins from the local market town of Oloron Ste Marie,which has a beautiful cathedral and the main Gave d'Oloron running through it where there are many restaurants and shops and the local market runs on Friday mornings.
There is so much to see and do! We have a wealth of local acitivities, ideal for all ages, you can enjoy cycling, walking, fishing, swimming, climbing, parapenting, horse riding, quad biking, kayaking, skiing and lots more! The scenery is stunning with the mountains and trees and waterfalls and the birds of prey soaring the skies. The beaches of Biarritz and St Jean de Luz are about an hour and half away and Spain is less than an hour. The city of Pau, the capital of the Béarn region, is about an hour and has cobbled streets and boutiques.
This really is a stunning area to explore and is easily accessible and is central to a wealth of activities. The gîte is a 'home from home', being spacious, well furnished and equipped with beautiful surroundings and breathtaking views of the mountains.
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Biarritz 80 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Pau 50 km, Nearest railway: Oloron Ste Marie 10 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
|Pool||Shared outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Games room, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (1), Single beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Shared outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ, Swing set, Trampoline|
|Access||Parking, Suitable for people with restricted mobility, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
The gîte is ideally suited for 4/5 people and has a wealth of charm with exposed beams and stonework and quarry tiled floors. The open plan layout has a LOUNGE with comfortable seating area, with TV (UK and French channels) port for Playstation,etc and DVD player, Wi-fi access and french doors leading out onto the covered BALCONY area which has stunning views of the mountains. You can sit and relax by day or night, read a book or study the stars. The DINING AREA has table and fours chairs and is easily accessed and practical with a central worktop area into the kitchen. The kitchen is well equipped with electric ceramic hob cooker, fridge and microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee maker and all the crockery, cutlery, pots and pans you need!
The MAIN BEDROOM has a double bed with cabinets either side with lighting, chest of drawers and hanging area. The TWIN BEDROOM is furnished with 2 single sleigh beds with cabinets either side and lighting and wardrobe with hanging and drawers. A cot is available for families with young children. There is a bathroom with bath/shower above and WC. There is electric heating.
You have direct access to the main reception area where there is a PLAYROOM with table football, games and toys for all ages, various maps and leaflets about the area and the UTILITY ROOM providing you with use of a washing machine and tumble drier.
|Further details outdoors|
The gite has its own private balcony with table and chairs and stunning views of the mountains, ideal for relaxing with a book, studying the stars by night, or watching the birds. It is covered, so can be used come rain or shine.
You have use of the large SOUTHFACING, walled communal GARDEN AREA (2500m2) which is designed to provide a safe playing area for children and adults. The paddock area is ideal for relaxing among the fruit trees, taking in the stunning views of the mountains and watching the birds of prey soar the skies. The playing area in the garden has a trampoline (with safety net), swing set and slide and various toys. There are 2 goal posts and other nets for badminton or volleyball. Just mind the vegetable garden and resident scarecrow! You can also feed our resident chickens, who love to welcome anyone who has a few scraps and if you're lucky find an egg or 2!
PRIVATE DESIGNATED PARKING is off-road and is situated within the boundary of the property. We also have secure lockable storage (approx 150m2) for bikes, roof boxes, fishing equipment, etc, if required.
The POOL AREA has been designed so it is not easy for little ones to wonder into, being accessed either side by a small staircase and lockable gates then onto the sundeck area. Our southfacing sundeck is approximately 60m2 and has sun loungers, tables and chairs and parasols. The POOL is 9.45m x 4.5m and is one depth of 1.2m and can only be accessed via the steps from the sundeck area and is perfect for cooling down in the hot sun.
The garden and pool is shared with the owners of the house and other gite guests.
We ask you to please refrain from smoking inside the gîte.
Owners are on site and are available to answer questions, make bookings for any local activities, if required .
Babysitting may be a possibility, depending on child!
WE CAN ADD AN ADDITIONAL BED OR COT FOR FAMILIES OF 5.
WE ARE ALSO ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE PARTIES OF UP TO 16 WITH OUR OTHER 2 GITES - PLEASE ENQUIRE FOR FURTHER DETAILS or see our other advert for Les Granges.
The gite is situated at the foothills of the Pyrénées in the Béarn region of South West France, 10 km from the market town of Oloron Ste Marie, the town where the French beret was invented! Famous for it's local produce of 'brebis' cheese, Madiran and Jurançon wines, garbure (soup) and of course the mountains, the area is rural France at its best. The climate is very hot during the summer and mild during winter. It is very lush and green with a wealth of trees and forests and waterfalls. There are lots of nature walks, cycling is very popular, gorges to visit and Les Grottes (ancient caves with stalagmites and stalagtites). Biarrritz and St Jean de Luz is about an hour and a half away and Spain is about an hour.
Oloron Ste Marie is 10km from Ance and has an array of shops and restaurants and during the summer has many shows in the local park, from live bands, jazz festivals, gospel choirs to soup festivals, bike races and night markets. Many of the local villages and towns have markets, so you could visit a different one everyday and take their Menu du Jour, prices start from as little as 10€ per person for 3 courses including wine. If you want a bit more action then there is always something to do!
- WATER PARK - Aquabearn Water Park, 20 mins drive, with slides, pools, picnic areas, restaurants, etc. Aquabearn and the local pool is seasonal only from June to September.
- SWIMMING - Oloron pool with indoor and outdoor pools, slides, picnic area, etc is 10 min drive and local outdoor pool at Lanne is 5 min drive.
- ADVENTURE PARK - at Aramits is a 10 min drive, with harness and safety equipment you climb through the trees and can abseil and bungee jump, if you want!
- QUAD BIKING, 4x4 off-roading and go-carting at Aramits is a 10 min drive, mainly for adolescents and adults.
- CLIMBING - Rock climbing
- RAFTING - kayaking and white water rafting are 15/20 mins away.
- LES GORGES - The amazing Gorge de Kakouetta is about 30 mins drive, where you can walk through the Gorge with its waterfalls and flowing river, stop for a picnic and take in the view.
- HORSE RIDING - There is horse riding, nearby in Goes, about 15 min drive.
- SKIING -(winter only) Well situated for La Pierre St Martin, Gourette, Astun and Candanchu. Suitable for all ages and abilities.
- FISHING - the rivers are well known for excellent salmon and trout fishing. Les Gaves d'Oloron, d'Aspe and d'Ossau.
- CYCLING - the Tour de France has travelled through the Pyrénées climbing the Cols d'Ichere, de Marie Blanque, La Pierre St Martin and further across to the Col dAubisque and Tourmalet. The local Tourist Board can give you details of past routes and stages, so you can try them yourself!
- MOUNTAIN BIKING - Becoming more and more popular, you can hire bikes locally and try the local, well signposted routes or hire a guide and try some of the routes more off the beaten track.
- GOLF - There are several courses within reach of us here, a small course at Salies de Bearn, or at Pau there is the newer course at Artigelouve, or play the oldest course in mainland Europe. 150 years old, the clubhouse is like a museum, the greens having stunning views of the mountains and the restaurant is an ideal 19th hole! Further afield, 90 mins, there is the challenging, but stunning course at Lourdes or on the coast, the championship courses at Biscarosse and Seignosse.
- WINE TASTING - the Jurançon vineyards are situated at the foothills south of Pau, where you can visit their cellars and try their increasingly popular whites,rosés and reds. Their sweet white wine is expecially popular as an apératif, being offered at most of the local restaurants. It can also be bought directly from the 'cave' 'en vrac', so take your old empty water bottles and fill them up! Prices start from as little as 0.60 cents per litre.
- BIRD WATCHING - A bird lovers paradise! Eagles, kestrels, kites, ospreys and vultures are a common sight in the Pyrénées and to see them soar the skies in their natural habitat is quite spectacular. You can relax by the sundeck in the garden with your binoculars and see many birds of prey in flight, or go further afield to les Donjon des Aigles and you will find one of the most spectacular aerial displays in Europe. AWESOME!
- WALKING - The main past time of the area, there are so many routes, we have some route maps here, the village has many signposted routes to take, that can take from 90 mins to 6 hrs. Or further afield the Cirque de Lescun is stunning with its circle of mountains, waterfalls and wild horses, you could be gone for days!
- BEACH - A little further afield are the beaches of the South West Coast at Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, take in the surfer's paradise or visit the chic bars and restaurants on the beach. The rugged coastline and awesome waves are quite spectacular to see - well worth a visit.