Kolkata Backpackers Homestay offers shoestring B&B accommodation for western backpackers and backpacking assistance to backpacking tourists coming to Kolkata...nothing fancy..nothing complicated...just simple accommodations to cover for food and shelter to transit/stopover backpackers heading to /from the hills of Darjeeling-Sikkim or Sunderban Tiger Reserve or simply coming to Calcutta known as the cultural capital of India which is fighting everyday to hold on to its Colonial past.
The basic accommodation offers:
• Bed for 3-4 backpackers with blankets.
• Simple filling home cooked food or try your hand at our kitchen to cook your favorite cuisine(We know how much you miss your home food when you travel)
• Clean hygienic western toilets,
• Computer in your room to Browse internet,check mails, back up your memory card by burning a DVD or simply listen to your music (Only internet is charged Rs.100 for full day)
•Freezer in your room to enjoy the chilling breezers,beers and snacks of your choice.
• Enjoy our activities strike some tunes in our guitar/keyboard,play chess or play cards,Read books,study maps ,plan your tours with our guidance & more(Complimentary service)
• space for storing your heavy backpacks while you tour the city(Complimentary service)
• a couple of hybrid city bikes to cycle around the winding by-lanes of the city.(Rs.350/6.5$) per bike for a city tour from 5:30 am to 8:30 am(03 hours) only on Sundays with our guidance covering most of the "must see" monuments,architectures and spots with us.
• City Walking tour with our guided service Rs.1200 per day for a group of upto 4 people(Full day-7-8 hours)
City Walking tour details:
We start our Walking tour from Nandan/Academy of Fine Arts area and cover Victoria Memorial,St.Paul's Cathedral,Planetaurium,then we move through famous Park Street follow Free School street to Sudder Street-Break for Lunch at Blue Sky Cafe.Post Lunch we explore the British era New Market(Hogg market)- a shopping hot spot as we move towards Esplanade through Old tram depot and move towards Raj Bhawan with Old Colonial structures shadowing us throughout our walk and we make our way to BBD Bag,as we take left from Writers Building we take a look at the historic GPO building and then on to St,John's Church and Job Charnock's Mausoleum.As the evening nears we walk past High Court,Eden Gardens,Akashbani Bhawan ,Mohun Bagan Club towards the riverfront of Princep Ghat.Gentle stroll or a boat ride brings perfect end to the evening as we end our walking tour at Pricep Hall.
We start our tour from Mother Teresa's House and take a bus to the City's open market for Books known as College Street,sip a coffee at Historic Coffee house or a cool drink at Paramount,then we take a tram ride to Hathibagan and see the Shovabajar Rajbari and across to Kumartuli the place where artists create beauty clay idols of various Gods and Goddesses from Clay from the River. A short ride to Girish Park to see Rabindranath Tagore's house,Marble Palace if time permits and back to Nandan for a cultural evening with shows on arts and music.
We have special arrangements to make your evening occupied and eventful ! On weekends we take you to various cultural spots of the city to witness and explore the Cultural side that Kolkata is known for-
be it Folk Music from musicians from rural Bengal,Photo and art exhibitions,movie festivals,Sufi Music festivals etc
• Be my pillion on my bike to explore the city and its narrow by-lanes through maddening traffic.!!!(Rs.1200/day)-this is only for a solo pillion ride ideal for single travellers looking to explore the city sitting on my bikes as we take care of your safety,convenience.(Includes Lunch)
• Book train tickets/Flight if you are heading to hills of Darjeeling.
• Rent Jackets for cooler hills(No need to stuff you backpack with heavy jackets)..travel light !! (Rs.50/day with a refundable security deposit of Rs. 2000)
• Rent Sleeping bags,mattress etc.(Rs.50/day with a refundable security deposit of Rs. 2000)
• We can organize Camping tours,hikes, Homestays in Himalayas for you...we keep everything in our small backpackers hub.
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Digha,Mandarmani,Shankarpur 200 km|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest Amenities||100 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bus no. V-1 AC VOLVO infront of Aiport Old Termina 25 km, Nearest railway: Nearest Railway station is Sealdah(7km) & Howr 7 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, Yes, smoking allowed|
|Luxuries||Internet access, Staffed property|
|General||TV, Safe, Wi-Fi available|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Fridge|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 4|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|