This is the real Spain! In the heart of little-known Axarquia in a stunning location with wonderful views of the mountains and the beautiful Vinuela valley below, Casa Louisa is the perfect place to relax and unwind. Facing south, it has sun from around breakfast time until sunset with the unspoilt natural beauty of the Sierras all around. Although it looks and feels like a traditional Spanish house, it's newly built with all the comforts of the 21st century. There's a larger-than-average private pool with large corner pool house , a delightful covered terrace with large marble table for dining, sun-trap balcony and several other terraces with sofas and chairs to sit in comfort ... plenty of room for everyone to do just what they want. If summer-time lazing by the pool appeals ... or reading in the shade of an olive tree ... perhaps lazing on a sunbed, content to watch the children jump in and out of the pool all day ... or if sittting on the balcony with a gin and tonic, watching the incredible skies as the sun leaves the valley tempts you.... if peace and tranquility broken only by birdsong or the faint rustle as the breeze stirs the leaves of the olive trees sounds good ... then this and more is what you will find. Although the activities and necessities you might need for a good holiday are not far from the Casa, dragging yourself away can be difficult!
The villa is on two levels and sleeps up to 10 ... front door, main sitting room, master bedroom (6'bed) and two twin bedrooms, two bathrooms and kitchen all at ground level, sliding glass doors lead from the sitting room and master bedroom out onto the balcony with a glass door from the kitchen leading to the top terrace with wide, shallow steps leading down to the pool from the top terrace.; downstairs, another double bedroom (6' bed), another large living room with two additional full size single beds (children and teenagers love this room so it means the house can accommodate a family group of 10 comfortably) and another shower room. If there is no-one sleeping in the living room, however, the shower room is effectively ensuite. Both this living room and the bedroom on the lower floor have glass sliding doors leading onto a lower covered terrace. From this lower terrace a wide path leads down to the pool area. There is a feeling of spaciousness throughout the house and around the pool, terraces and garden.
|Size||Sleeps up to 10, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||10 km|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||3 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Malaga 64 km, Nearest railway: Malaga 60 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, Air conditioning, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms, 1 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (6), Double beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 10|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
* All sofas and beds are comfortable ... double beds are each 6' wide
* Two large living rooms, one with two full-size single beds. * Children and teenagers, particularily, like staying in this room
* Each living room has a flat-screen TV (uk terrestrial channels) and DVD, one of the TV's has freeview
* Each of these TV's has a separate satellite feed ... so no arguments about who wants to watch what!
* A third TV in the master bedroom
* Air conditioning units in all rooms and underfloor heating througout the house
* Wood burning stove in the sitting room for the cooler months
* All utility costs and firewood included in the rental.
* Everything you could possibly need in the kitchen including unbreakable plates and glasses to take to the pool
* Bath towel and pool towel for each person
* If you stay for 2 weeks a change of sheets and bath towels plus 2 hours cleaning is included in the price. mid-stay if you would like that.
* Heating, wood burning stove and duvets make for a cosy winter house
* Lots of books, toys and games around
* Soap, washing powder, diswasher tablets, cling wrap, salt and pepper and some other basic necessites supplied ...
* The house is toddler friendly. Stairs have baby gates top and bottom for the safety of small children.
* Travel cot with 2 sets of bedding, cot-bed, high chair, baby bath, baby monitor, sterilizing unit, cot net, safety plugs and outside crawling mat are all in the house if you would like them to be made available.
* Pushchair, extra cots and other baby equipment can be arranged and be ready in the house for your arrival if there is more than one baby .. small charge.
* You will find two bottles of wine, some cool beers and juice when you arrive to welcome you!
|Further details outdoors|
* Larger than average pool
* Eight full-size comfortable sun beds and other comfortable portable chairs for sunbaking and relaxing
* Gates between the house and the pool making a safe play area outside the kitchen and sitting room for little ones and also, for keeping young children well away from the pool. Our guests tell us its a perfect house for a young families!
* The pool and pool terrace are set away from the house which gives the whole property a feeling of spaciousness. It means children will need to be supervised at all times when swimming
* Pool house makes a great base by the pool with table and chairs, bar and stools, fridge and sink - and of course lots of shade
* Gas bar-b-que ... one gas bottle attached and one spare bottle supplied
*Outside loo and basin for ease when around the pool terrace.
* Outside wood oven for use in spring, summer and autumn - try those Jamie Oliver recipes! In summer the high risk of bush fire and open fire ban means it cannot be lit.
* Two covered areas with comfortable sofas and chairs for relaxing
* Umbrellas for extra shade
The house is managed by Lisa who is English and lives in Alcaucin with her family. She will guide you to the house when you arrive with her, show you round, answer any questions you may have and give you a key. She is always on hand if you have any difficulties with the house during your stay. Our housekeepers will have the house squeaky clean for your arrival .. and the pool is attended twice a week throughout the summer. Gardeners attend to the plants and the watering system regularly.
A car is essential. The last bit of the journey is 2 kilometres drive on a part concrete / part unmade road which gives access to ours as well as 25 other well spread-out houses, many of which are lived in all year round. We all happily drive ordinary cars and an ordinarily confident driver will have no problem. If you are a nervous driver you probably won't like it. Absolutely no smoking anywhere in the house
The inland Axarquia is a glorious region, largely unspoilt by mass tourism, rich in history and architecture and much influenced by 700 years of Moorish rule when the caliphs held sway from the seats of power in Cordoba and Granada. Dramatic mountains, beautiful valleys and tiny white pueblo villages, for which the area is famous, provide a peek into Spanish life as it was and very often, still is. The area is still dependent on agriculture - mainly olives, almonds, avocados, oranges and lemons - and produces a mass of delicious vegetables and fruit as it has done for centuries. Once you leave the coast behind and begin to climb into the Sierras, another world reveals itself, And when you reach the Casa and stand on the balcony with the mountains all around and the valley far below, and with only the sheep, goats and birds to disturb the silence, its hard to believe the full-on experience of the coast is only 20 minutes away.
The bustling towns of Torre del Mar and Velez-Malaga, about 20 minutes drive, with colourful local markets provide excellent shopping ... including very good supermarkets ... fashion ... the lot!. The pretty town of Nerja and Frigiliana with its neighboring mountain village of Frigiliana are 40 minutes drive and, further afield, the gorgeous little city of Granada with world-famous Alhambra and the fabulous cities of Cordoba and Sevilla, both rich in the history off the Moorish occupation, are great for an exciting day visit.. Go for the day to Malaga with its Picasso museum, winding old-town streets, bull-ring, the huge cathedral ... and its elegant shops. Stop for tapas in one of the many bars .... or go down to the beach at El Palo for some fresh seafood. Have a fun day-out with the children at the water park or spend the day on one of the large, safe and clean beaches all along the coast.
If the weather is hot (and for many months it is ... the Costa del Sol has an average of 300 days of sunshine a year) you will find it increasingly hard to drag yourself away from the pool as the days fly by! Spring and Autumn are wonderful times to enjoy the best Andalucia has to offer ... and a great time to get out and about, visiting those fabulous cities or exploring the tiny pueblo villages. Winter, too, could find you in a t-shirt on a clear sunny day, high on a peak with wonderful views in all directions ... and going home to a warm house, roaring fire with something delicious cooking in the wood oven ...
In the peaceful village of Alcaucin, just below the National Park, you will find a jumble of little white houses clinging to the hillside, narrow cobbled streets and rushing fountains of pure mountain streams which water the whole valley. The old men of the village still sit in the square or in a bar drinking sweet wine, banging dominoes and putting the world to rights as they have for a hundred years or more. You will find everything you need here and in Puente don Manuel, 6 kms away with fresh local vegetables and seasonal fruit, excellent meat, cheeses, oils, wines and good bread ... and banks and a post office. As well, there are some excellent, good-value restaurants in the valley close by. Go down to the coast for some delicious sea-food .. choose pork from the spit roast in the mountains ... visit the old inn where food has been served to travellers long before the time of the revolution ... follow Gordon Ramsey to Ayo's for some of his world-famous paella on the beach at Nerja ... you will be welcome wherever you go. You will be welcome, too, at the fiestas that happen in each village througout the warmer weather - but be prepared for a late night - they don't start until 10 or 11 at night!
With the beauty of the National Park so close to the house, walking, mountain biking and cycling in this wilderness is a delight ... if you are feeling active, of course. Perhaps take one of our tried and tested local, English-speaking guides who can take you out for an hour or a day .. or longer ... and will not only provide you will all the equipment you may need but will delight in showing you the best of the secrets Andalucia has to offer. Planning your time before you go is no problem ... phoning or emailing one of them in advance is easy ... full details on our own website. Or you may just choose to stroll on your own ...through the cool pinewoods, perhaps, to the mountain chininguita for a glass of wine. some manchego cheese and serano ham. And if you want to go a bit further, in the house are three fool-proof self-guided walks of between 3 and 10 ks so you won't get lost!