Apartment | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Directly overlooking the beach, this spacious and historic first and second floor flat is Grade II listed, dates back to around 1750, and is located within the central Deal conservation area - the most atmospheric and convenient place to stay.
The unusual thing about our home is that it has a very wide frontage and therefore has great views, some of the very best in Deal. The large living room on the first floor has stunning sea views from all three windows. The adjacent large dinining room enjoys exactly the same view. Unusually for Deal sea front properties, our view is not interrupted by car parking - it is no more than 20 yards from front of the house to the top of the beach.
The flat is very comfortably furnished with antique furniture and pictures, and was fully refurbished in 2011. We have used it as a weekend bolthole for many years and it is fully furnished as our home, rather than as a property for let. The layout means that it works well as a spacious but cosy place for two, but it can equally accommodate up to 6 people in comfort in the three large double bedrooms and ample living space.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest railway: Deal 1 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||DVD player, Sea view|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (2), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Further details indoors||
Entrance from Dolphin Street, staircase to first floor hallway. Rooms radiate off the hallway:
- Large living room, 19' x 15'. 3 sea facing windows including one corner window. Sofa + four large armchairs. 40" HD TV with DVD and Freeview. Range of DVDs + board games. DAB radio/CD player/iPOD dock. Small mahogany writing table + chair.
- Large dining room 13' x 13'. Sea facing window. 7' x 3' mahogany table + 6 chairs. Mahogany sideboard + corner chest. CD player/radio. Wide range of novels + CDs.
- Kitchen 11' x 7'. Well equipped + cooker has double oven.
- Bathroom. Bath with handheld shower attachment, toilet, wash basin. Heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 1. Double bedroom - 15' x 9'. Kingsize bed with mattress topper. Two bedside cabinets. Ensuite toilet + washbain. Window to Dolphin St. Large walk-in wardrobe + large antique mahogany chest of drawers + art deco gilt mirror. Door to washing cupboard: separate washing machine and tumble drier.
Spiral staircare from hallway to second floor:
- Bedroom 2. Double bedroom, 16' x 12'. Kingsize bed with mattress topper. Dormer window to Dolphin St, blackout blind. 26' flat screen TV + Freeview. Two antique chests of drawers, mirror. Built-in wardrobe. Chair.
- Bedroom 3. Double bedroom, 14' x 12'. Twin beds, two bedside cabinets. Dormer window with fabulous sea view, blackout blind. Painted tall pine chest of drawers, mirror. Built-in wardrobe. Chair.
All beds with 100% cotton sheets + bathsheets.
|Further details outdoors||
Free parking along the seafront.
The reason it is not suitable for wheelchair users or small children is because of the staircases and it is not possible to fix a children's stair gate to the winding staircase up to the second floor.
The South East England region
ATTRACTIONS NEAR DEAL:
1. Dover castle (10 miles).
2. Golf: Royal and Ancient Cinque Ports (1 mile). Royal St George's (7 miles), world famous Open course. Walmer and Kingsdown (4 miles).
3. Coastal path from Langdon cliffs, Dover back to Deal (9 miles). Truly fabulous if quite strenuous walk. Multiple tea rooms en route + lighthouse.
4. Goodnestone Park gardens (10 miles). 2nd best in Kent after Sissinghurst.
5. Walmer castle and gardens (2 miles walk along front). Croquet lawn + see the original "Wellington boot".
6. Deal castle (0.7mile). Cannons.
7. St Margaret's Bay (6 miles). Rock pools and shrimping.
8. Sandwich bay (7 miles drive, 5 miles walk). Flat, extensive sands, good for kids. Sandwich town and The Secret Garden.
9. Walmer paddling pool, crazy golf, bouncy castle, putting (1 mile walk along front).
10. Tides indoor pool, Deal (1 mile). Waterslide and wave machine. Indoor tennis.
11. Deal sailing club (1 mile).
12. Turner Contemporary, Margate (15 miles). Dramatic major new modern art gallery. Great cafe
13. Canterbury (20 miles). Cathedral, tomb of Archbishop Thomas a Becket, shopping + Kent county cricket.
14. Whitstable. Shopping + oysters (30 miles).
15. Folkestone racecourse (25 miles).
16. Hythe + Romney Hythe and Dymchurch narrow gauge railway (20 miles).
17. Broadstairs, Viking bay, Pegwell and Joss bays (15 miles): sandy beaches.
18. Romantic Leeds Castle, and nearby, Go-Ape climbing course with zip wires (45 miles).
19. Historic market town Rye (45 miles) and the atmospheric Romney Marsh.
20. Sissinghurst and Great Dixter gardens (both 50 miles).
21. Regular ferries from Dover for easy day trip to France.
Deal is a special place. The historic heart consists of 3 long, parallel streets: Beach Street, the High Street, and Middle Street in between, full of uniquely shaped 17th-19th century cottages/houses. The pier has been renovated recently and has a cafe with panoramic views. The shingle beach is a good place to bathe in summer.
Deal high street is thriving with local, independent shops. These include a really great fishmonger (very helpful and good value), butcher, specialist cheese shop, delicatessen, two excellent cakeshops, a chocolate shop, a sweet shop, lots of clothes boutiques and antique shops, galleries, and the Saturday market. Some excellent cafes, pubs, bars and restaurants. Culturally it has a small local theatre, a local music festival, and the Open Studios Art Festival in the summer when you can visit many local artists.
Superb local sports facilities. World-famous golf from 3 major courses, sailing, walking the coastal path, cycling (a sea-front cycle path to Kingsdown, 3 miles away). New 4 court indoor tennis centre next to the indoor swimming pool, and nearby Walmer a prestigious lawn tennis club with some of the best grass courts in the south east of England. Excellent place to take up jogging given the promenade is completely flat. DealTri is a large and thriving triathalon club that also organises the annual Deal 5 miler, 10k, and half-marathon. Superb angling from pier with its two fishing platforms.