Seafront flat - Beach Street
Apartment | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Directly overlooking the beach, this spacious and historic first and second floor flat is Grade II listed, dates back to around 1750, and is located within the central Deal conservation area - the most atmospheric and convenient place to stay.
The unusual thing about our home is that it has a very wide frontage and therefore has really great views, some of the very best in Deal. The large living room on the first floor has stunning sea views from all three windows. The adjacent large dinining room enjoys exactly the same view. Unusually for Deal sea front properties, our view is not interrupted by car parking - it is no more than 20 yards from the front of the house to the top of the beach.
The flat is very comfortably furnished with antique furniture and lots of original paintings by local artists. It was fully refurbished in 2011. We have used it as a weekend bolthole for many years and it is furnished as our home, rather than as a property for let. The layout means that it works well as a spacious but cosy place for two, but it can equally accommodate up to 6 people in comfort in the three large double bedrooms and ample living space.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest Amenities||500 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest railway: Deal 1 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||DVD player, Sea view|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (2), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Further details indoors|
Entrance from Dolphin Street, staircase to first floor hallway. Rooms radiate off the hallway:
- Large living room, 19' x 15'. 3 large sea facing sash windows including one corner window. Sofa + four large armchairs. 40" HD TV with DVD and Freeview. Range of DVDs + board games. Roberts DAB radio/CD player/iPOD dock. Small mahogany writing table + chair.
- Large dining room 13' x 13'. Large sea facing sash window. 7' x 3' mahogany table + 6 chairs: seats 8 people in comfort. Flame mahogany sideboard + mahogany corner chest. CD player/radio. Wide range of novels + CDs.
- Kitchen 11' x 7'. Well equipped + cooker has double oven. Full size dishwasher. Window to side of house.
- Bathroom. Bath with handheld shower attachment, toilet, wash basin. Heated towel rail. Window to side of house.
- Bedroom 1. Double bedroom - 15' x 9'. Kingsize bed with mattress topper. Two bedside cabinets. Ensuite toilet + washbain. Sash window to Dolphin St. Large walk-in wardrobe + large antique mahogany chest of drawers + art deco gilt mirror. Door to washing cupboard: washing machine and separate tumble drier.
Spiral staircare from hallway to second floor:
- Bedroom 2. Double bedroom, 16' x 12'. Kingsize bed with mattress topper. Dormer window to Dolphin St, blackout blind. 26' flat screen TV + Freeview. Two antique chests of drawers, mirror. Built-in wardrobe. Chair.
- Bedroom 3. Double bedroom, 14' x 12'. Twin beds, two pine bedside cabinets. Dormer window with fabulous sea view, blackout blind. Painted tall pine chest of drawers, mirror. Built-in wardrobe. Chair.
All beds with 100% cotton sheets + bathsheets.
|Further details outdoors|
Free parking along the seafront.
The reason it is not suitable for wheelchair users or small children is because of the staircases and it is not possible to fix a children's stair gate to the winding staircase up to the second floor.
The South East England region
ATTRACTIONS NEAR DEAL:
1. Dover castle (10 miles).
2. Golf: Royal and Ancient Cinque Ports (1 mile). Royal St George's (7 miles), world famous Open course. Walmer and Kingsdown (4 miles).
3. Coastal path from Langdon cliffs, Dover back to Deal (9 miles). Truly fabulous if quite strenuous walk. Multiple tea rooms en route + lighthouse.
4. Goodnestone Park gardens (10 miles). 2nd best in Kent after Sissinghurst.
5. Walmer castle and gardens (2 miles walk along front). Croquet lawn + see the original "Wellington boot".
6. Deal castle (0.7mile). Cannons.
7. St Margaret's Bay (6 miles). Rock pools and shrimping.
8. Sandwich bay (7 miles drive, 5 miles walk). Flat, extensive sands, good for kids. Sandwich town and The Secret Garden.
9. Walmer paddling pool, crazy golf, bouncy castle, putting (1 mile walk along front).
10. Tides indoor pool, Deal (1 mile). Waterslide and wave machine.
11. New indoor tennis centre (1 mile). Four courts.
12. Deal sailing club (1 mile).
13. Turner Contemporary, Margate (15 miles). Dramatic major new modern art gallery. Great cafe
14. Canterbury (20 miles). Famous cathedral, tomb of Archbishop Thomas a Becket, shopping + Kent county cricket.
15. Whitstable. Shopping + oysters (30 miles).
16. Folkestone racecourse (25 miles).
17. Hythe + Romney Hythe and Dymchurch narrow gauge railway (20 miles).
18. Broadstairs, Viking bay, Pegwell and Joss bays (15 miles): sandy beaches.
19. Romantic Leeds Castle, and nearby, Go-Ape climbing course with zip wires (45 miles).
20. Historic market town Rye (45 miles) and the atmospheric Romney Marsh.
21. Sissinghurst and Great Dixter gardens (both 50 miles).
22. Regular ferries from Dover for easy day trip to France.
Deal is a special place. The historic heart consists of 3 long, parallel streets: Beach Street, the High Street, and Middle Street in between, full of uniquely sized 17th-19th century cottages/houses. The pier has been renovated recently and has a cafe with fantastic sea views. The shingle beach is a good place to bathe in summer. Although picturesque, Deal isn't twee or very touristy: it's a genuine small working town.
Deal high street is thriving with local, independent shops. It was judged High Street of the Year 2013 by The Telegraph newspaper. These include a really great fishmonger (Jenkins), butcher (Rooks), specialist cheese shop (No name), two excellent cakeshops (The Bakehouse and Moretti's), a chocolate shop, a sweet shop, lots of clothes boutiques and antique shops, galleries, and the Saturday market. Some excellent cafes (for example the Black Douglas), pubs, bars and restaurants. Culturally it has a thriving small local theatre (The Astor), a local music festival, and the Open Studios Art Festival in the summer when you can visit many local artists.
Deal has superb local sports facilities. World-famous golf from 3 major courses, sailing, walking the coastal path, cycling (a sea-front cycle path to Kingsdown, 3 miles away). New indoor tennis centre next to the indoor swimming pool, and nearby Walmer a prestigious lawn tennis club with some of the best grass courts in the south east of England. Excellent place to take up jogging given the promenade is completely flat and next to the sea. DealTri is a large and thriving triathalon club that also organises the annual Deal 5 miler, 10k, and Deal half-marathon. Superb angling from pier with its two fishing platforms.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
24 Aug 2013
To stay at 195 Beach Street was one of the best holiday decisions we could have made. The flat was perfect for our family of four, our two teenage girls shared the upstairs bedroom and we felt that everyone had enough room for him/herself. We were delighted by the tasteful interior, the books and CDs on the shelves we were allowed to enjoy, the bottle of wine we found waiting in the fridge and - of course - the stunning view from the living and dining room! The photos don't lie - it is this good!!! We were lucky enough to have great weather throughout our stay and were able to use the beach right across the street every day. Deal is ideally located for day trips, Walmer, Sandwich, Canterbury... we even made it to London by train, the station is only a 15 min. walk away. Shopping was equally convenient with Sainsbury's and Co-op right next to the train station. Parking was also no big problem, we did have to pay at the pay-and-display parking spaces every once in a while because no free parking was available but we always found a free spot to leave the car. Liz kept us very well informed before we arrived via emails and answered every question patiently, we almost felt like visiting the flat of some friends - thank you again for making us feel that welcome we would love to return some day!
19 Feb 2013
"A fantastic stay in a great apartment"
We came, again, to Deal and stayed for the first time in this accomodation.
It is a very nice house. Good beds, fine kitchen and a dining and livingroom with a splendid seaview.
You can stay here with all kinds of weather: storm, cold and sunny!
4 Feb 2013
"Great location in the middle of a very attractive seaside town."
We stayed here in January 2013 - and what a lovely weekend it was. The flat is right on the seafront with amazing views from the lounge and dining. The flat is beautiful - very comfortable and relaxed… More
3 Feb 2013
"Absolutely beautiful spacious and comfortable flat in ideal location"
Really beautiful flat made our weekend relaxing and extremely comfortable. I would recommend to anyone wishing to stay in the area. It had everything we needed and an exceptional sea view. Perfect thank you.
11 Oct 2012
"An [--]ideal[--] position, extremely comfortable and fabulous sea views."
The apartment was very well positioned to explore Deal and surrounding areas such as Canterbury, Rye and Broadstairs. Very comfy beds and lounge chairs. Very well equipped.
Good communication from owners and a nice welcome pack - with wine - Thank you.
We coped with the lack of proper stand up shower and having 2 toilets with 4 adults was a real bonus. We would definitely recommend.
27 Aug 2012
"Beautiful flat, fabulous location"
My husband and I have already stayed in many good self catering flats/houses, but this one beats them all. So comfortably furnished, so tastefully decorated, showing a very high standard in everything… More
2 Jan 2012
"Lovely flat, lovely town - back again for another perfect week"
It's not often my family will agree to a return visit but this flat and this beautiful little town ticked all our boxes. Bit of a long journey from Manchester but well worth it! Highly recommended!
18 Dec 2011
"Brilliant flat in great location!"
Spent a glorious week in Deal with my husband and four children. Flat was just perfect for us, beautifully clean and really comfortable. The location is just fabulous, the kids LOVED sitting by the … More
4 Oct 2011
We had a fablous week in Deal and surrounding area.The flat was well kept and a fun space for the kids; especially, the upstair rooms. We enjoyed walking up and down the prom to the pier and beyond! You must stop and have a pint of "Harveys" at the Zetland Arms in Kingsdown! It's worth the walk! Walmer Castle was interesting and the gardens were brilliant, we enjoyed a lazy afternoon in the sun there. Dover Castle needs a full day to see everything - kids thought the enactments by actors were good! And, of course a walk to Sandwich bay for an afternoon of sunbathing and swimming is a must. When visiting Deal again, we'll use this flat again for the view and location.
2 Sep 2011
"Beautiful property in a good location to suit all the family"
We found the flat to be exactly as advertised. However this didn't prepare us for the magnificent sea views, which were even better than expected! The location was great for its proximity to the sea, and also only a few minutes walk to the town centre with good range of cafes, shops, pubs and restaurants. It was a good base for exploring the Kent coast.
You're booking with
- 3 Years listed
90% Response rate
Based in United Kingdom
- 138 properties
- 75 properties
- 66 properties
- 65 properties
- 42 properties
- Ashford, Kent
- 41 properties
- New Romney
- 28 properties
- 23 properties
- 23 properties
- 22 properties
- 21 properties
- 17 properties
- Boulogne sur Mer
- 15 properties
- 14 properties
- Romney Marsh
- 13 properties
- Isle of Sheppey
- 12 properties
- 11 properties
- 9 properties
- 6 properties
- Herne Bay
- 6 properties