Dalkey, Co Dublin
House | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 8
This is a truly magnificent luxury renovated period house in a wonderful location, 5-mins walk from the centre of the quaint historic Dalkey village, and historic village beside the sea.
Dalkey is one of the most prestigious suburbs in Dublin and is also known as 'Bel-Eire' and is home to celebrities including Bono and The Edge of U2, Enya and Van Morrison.
There are fabulous walks in the area along the coast and also up on Killiney and Dalkey Hills (10-mins from house) which both offer fantastic views across of the City across Dublin Bay.
Dalkey is renowned for its fantastic selection of friendly pubs and restaurants - to suit all tastes and budgets - as well as its own heritage centre.
Downstairs: There are two interconnecting living rooms on the ground floor, both with really comfortable chairs and sofas for relaxing in and each with an original marble fireplace with 'real-fire' effect gas fire for instant heat and cosy atmosphere.
One of the living rooms has double glass doors connecting it to the super family kitchen which has granite worktops, fully integrated appliances and a big electric range as well as a large table which seats 8 + very comfortably.
There are 2 sets of double glazed doors opening onto the fully tiled patio area, and from there a step leads up to the deck with sea views - the perfect peaceful spot for unwinding after a busy day. A half-bathroom off the large hallway completes the ground floor.
Upstairs there are four bedrooms – one double, one twin and two single.
The master on the top (3rd) floor has double glass doors leading out onto a small balcony with views across Dublin Bay to Howth as well as a fully tiled shower-room with a power shower.
The remaining three bedrooms are off the bright main landing (which has a double height atrium with glazed roof-light above.
The second bedroom has twin beds with an additional pull out bed if required.
The third bedroom has a single bed with another pull out bed.
The fourth bedroom has a raised single cabin type bed..
There is a fully tiled family bathroom with bath and a separate power shower completing the upstairs accommodation.
There is a raised patio garden at the back of the house with stunning sea vies to the side. The garden is half tiled and half decked. There is a table with a bench and chairs for outside dinning.
There is a small, very private front garden.
Walking: Killiney and Dalkey Hills (10 minute walk) offering panoramic views over Dublin Bay; Vico Road – often compared to Italy; Sandycove Seafront ; Dun Laoghaire Piers
Eating out (All within a five minute walk from house – worth enquiring about their early bird specials): Guinea Pig (European); Ouzos (European) Ragazzis (Italian); Jaipur (Indian); Thai House (Thai); Chinese
Pubs: All within a five minute walk from house ; Finnegan's (where Bono and the Obama's had lunch together on their 2013 trip to Dublin); Queens; Magpie; the Club Bar.
Local Shops: Eurospar supermarket; 3 pharmacies; newsagents; post office, library; delicatessen; four cafes; craft shops.
Heritage centre: There is a local heritage centre with information concerning Dalkey and the surrounding areas.
Local beach/ Harbour: Bullock Harbour and Coliemore Harbours - 5 min walk either way (buy lobsters, rent a boat to Dalkey island). There are three seals resident in Bulloch Harbour!
Dalkey is close to some of Dublin finest beaches like Sandycove the bathing site for Dubliners for centuries, where Joyce lived and set some of his works (Tower & Museum)
• Sandycove beach & Forty Foot - 15 min walk (sandy beach, Joyce's Tower)
• Bullock Harbour - 5 min walk (buy lobsters, rent a boat to Dalkey island)
• White Rock/ Killiney beach (25 mins walk - access it from Vico Road; by Dart/Car go to Killiney station - 10 mins (surfing, dolphins).
• Seapoint beach – Car 10 mins); Dart (10 mins) Walk (25 min) (swim, watersports centre).
• Brittas Bay beach - 40 min drive (5k white sandy beach, swim, watersports, horse-riding, picnics).
• Dalkey Dart station is 5-mins walk from the house and offers excellent, reliable transport by train to all of the museums, theatres, shopping, tourist attractions, pubs and restaurants in Dublin City Centre. The journey takes about 30 mins and there are trains every 10 minutes or so - more frequently at peak periods.
• Airport: There is also a regular direct private shuttle bus service from Dublin Airport to Dalkey.
• Car Ferry: Dalkey is located 10 minutes drive from Dun Laoghaire Car Ferry Port and 40 minutes from Dublin Car Ferry port.
Dublin City Centre – Places of Interest
• Trinity College – Book of Kells
• Dublin Castle
• Guinness Storehouse
• National Museum of Ireland; National Gallery of Ireland; Natural History Museum of Ireland
• St Patrick's Cathedral, Christchurch Cathedral
• Georgian Dublin – St. Stephan's Green; Merion Square
• National Concert Hall; 'Bord Gais Energy' Performing Arts Theatre; Abbey Theatre; National Convention Centre; Aviva Stadium; O2; Croke Park GAA stadium and Museum
• Kilmainham Gaol
• Dublin Zoo
• Outdoor parks: Phoenix Park (largest European urban park); St. Stephen Green ; Iveagh Gardens (both in the heart of Dublin, perfect for picnics)
• Boat tour of Dublin Bay
North Dublin (by Dart)
• Howth Harbour and Headlands (stunning for walking)
• Malahide Village and beach
Wicklow (also called the 'Garden of Ireland')
• Powerscourt House and Gardens – beautiful old house with stunning gardens. Also contains a cafe and shops
• Powerscourt Waterfall and playground– also part of the Powerscourt estate but in a different location
• Glendalough Round Tower, Lakes and Heritage Centre
• Sally Gap
• Russborough House and Gardens
• Bray Seafront (and Sealife) including a vigorous climb up Bray Head
Dalkey is within easy driving distance to more than 30 fabulous golf courses, from such as Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, the K-Club or Druids Glen only 15-30 mins drive away using easy to navigate major routes:
• 10-20 mins: Killiney Golf Course, Dun Laoghaire (home to the 2016 Curtis cup), Woodbrook, Leopardstown, Foxrock, Marlay Park, Stepaside
• 30 mins: Druids Glen, Powerscourt, Castle, Milltown, Edmonstown, Enniskerry, Old Conna, Stackstown, Grange
• 60 mins: K-Club, St Annes, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Woodenbridge
Special Interest Holidays
1. Swimming & Fitness – Several swimming pools and fitness centres are within easy reach as well as Sandycove's world famous '40 Foot' sea baths area 25 minutes away
2. Running – There are beautiful coastal runs right outside the front door with a number of marked & stunning seaside routes
3. Cycling – Being at the foot of Killiney Hill there are great hills with a super route starting right outside the front door. For a more serious challenge and stunning scenery, just travel a little further south to County Wicklow where you can enjoy the challenge of some of the most beautiful hills Ireland has to offer including the famous Sally Gap with great mountain bike tracks as well as road routes.
4. Water Sports / Sailing – Huge choice of sailing and water sport activities only 25 minutes walk to Dun Laoghaire Harbour.
5. Walking: Wicklow Way – a series of fantastic trails for the more experienced walker though the Wicklow mountains.
6. Horses: There are three equestrian centres within a 15 minute drive – Carrickmines, Brennanstown and Kellystown. You can also experience the unique fun and excitement of horse racing in Ireland at Dublin's only racecourse, Leopardstown Racecourse, (5 Km away) one of Europe's premier race courses offering both national hunt and flat racing
How to get to Dalkey
CAR - not necessary as close to Dublin, suburbs and every transport link. Reliable airport shuttle.
AIRPORT - Dublin Airport: 15 Km
FERRY - Dun Laoghaire port: 1.5 Km, Dublin Port: 8 Km
BUS – Dalkey Bus stop: 0.1 Km
AIRCOACH (high-speed airport coach - 8 euro, 40 mins) – 0.3 Km from Dalkey stop
METRO (DART) -, Dalkey .2 Km
MAINLINE TRAIN - Dun Laoghaire: 1.5 Km
MOTORWAY - M50 (City Orbital): 4 Km, M11 (main national South/North motorway ): 3 Km
CAR / BIKE HIRE - Dun Laoghaire: 2.5 Km.
HARBOURS;- Bulloch and Coliemore Harbours - .25 km in different directions
BEACH – Sandycove and White Rock 0.5 Km in different directions
SAILING CLUBS - Dun Laoghaire 2.5 Km
BARS & PUBS – See above 0.1 Km,
GOLF - Killiney 1 Km
RESTAURANT - See above 0.1 Km,
There are 3 great horse-riding centres within 15 mins drive catering for every rider.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 4 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Dublin 19 km, Nearest railway: Heuston/ Connolly 10 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||DVD player, Sea view|
|General||Central heating, Video player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms, 1 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (4), Double beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
21 Dec 2013
"Great house in a fantastic location"
Impressive town house in Dalkey, very well placed for local amenities and sights, with excellent transport links. Fantastic dining kitchen. We had 4 kids under 4 and it was OK, but there are lots of stairs across the three/four levels.
Pay online via the Holiday Lettings payment platform with your credit/debit card or your PayPal account to be covered by Payment Protection. Learn more
You're booking with
- 1 Years listed
95% Response rate
Based in Ireland
- 82 properties
- 24 properties
- 22 properties
- Brittas Bay
- 21 properties
- 20 properties
- 13 properties
- 13 properties
- 12 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties