Villa | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 7
Dreamer's House (Villa Sognatore) is a true lakefront property located 10km north of Menaggio on the northwest shore of Lake Como. The house positions its guests right on the lake with private access to the water, which is the best place to acquaint oneself with the beauty and tranquility that make Lake Como so unforgettable. The setting is a botanical paradise as well since the property is surrounded by well-maintained, terracing gardens with mature specimen plants, palm trees and perennials.
The property includes 4 stone patios at different heights, and 2 large terraces off the bedrooms and living room facing the lake, all affording breathtaking views of the water and Alps. A scenic walkway on the lake passes near the property, giving the guest access to 3 restaurants and the lakeside village of San Vito. A separated guest house with the 3rd bedroom/WC is included. Famous villas, gardens, sites, restaurants, shopping, golf & more are a 10-15 min drive.
|Size||Sleeps up to 7, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Front Yard 10 m|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||300 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Malpensa 90 km, Nearest railway: Varenna 15 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player, Sea view|
|General||Central heating, TV, Safe, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (7), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Further details indoors|
Inside the house, the top floor consists of a large room combining the living and dining rooms and a large eat-in kitchen with island, plus a new bathroom (sink/toilet/shower) with mosaic tiles and modern Italian design. In the living room, the wall facing the lake is only windows, with double doors opening to a large terrace with sweeping panoramas. There is a satellite TV system with news/movies/sports in English or Italian, as well as terrestrial TV with mostly Italian channels. A multi-region DVD player (plays codes 1-6) has been added.
The middle floor is composed of master and guest bedrooms, both with two single beds that can be combined to form a double-size bed. Each room features large picture windows with lake & mountain views and terrace access. There is a third small room with a small bed and baby crib (the house actually sleeps 7 + 1 baby). The bathroom includes shower, bidet/toilet, and double vanity. Both bedrooms open onto a large middle terrace, where stairs lead down to the lawn and lakefront. Here there is a detached "mini casa" guest house with two single beds and half bath (sink w/cold water only, mirror, toilet) .
The mini casa opens onto a large stone patio two meters (6 ft.) from the lake, featuring 4 designer chaise lounge chairs. There are private stairs leading from the stone ledge into the lake (child soft safety fence is optional).
The property is entered by an electronic gate that leads down into a covered car port with one space reserved for the house (additional parking available on street above). From there stairs lead down through gardens to a stone patio with table and benches suitable for barbecuing with a magnificent view over the flat roof of the house of lake, mountains, surrounding specimen plants and rock garden (parts of garden are owned by neighbors).
The properties on the left and right of the house are vacation houses NOT rented by their owners. Therefore, the owner kindly requests that common courtesy is observed when these neighbors are present. In addition, this is a no pet and no smoking (inside) environment. Children are welcome, and the house is baby-equipped with high chair, crib, tub, and linens.
|Further details outdoors|
Do not be fooled by "waterfront" & "lakefront" descriptors on so many holiday rental adverts, which are not really directly on the lake front - The Dreamers' House is the genuine article. Lake Como ends in our front yard. There are 300sqm of mature gardens with palm and specimen trees and flowering shrubs, perennials and annuals. The neighbours gardens are immediately adjoining these gardens, so the effect is a botanical paradise. Outdoor furniture, including a set of designer chairs/table, sun chaise lounges, tables and stone picnic benches and chairs are located throughout the property. The property is entered through an electronic gate and from there park in the single space provided in the carport. A buoy for boats has been added and can be rented for an additional 100 euros/week. The buoy is directly in front of the house in the lake, reachable by inflatable craft (provided).
50% of rental amount (euros or $) is due via bank transfer to confirm reservation and block calendar dates. The other 50% is due no later than 45 days prior to arrival. Full refund if cancellation is 45 or more days prior to arrival. No refund if within the 45 days. 350 euro security deposit required, and returned one week after departure.
The Lombardy region
Tourists have been coming to Lake Como for over 2000 years for its sheer natural beauty and elegance. Each guest is sent a detailed Useful Information document and Dining Guide after a deposit is made for a reservation.
After more than 10 years of home ownership on Lake Como, we recommend some our favourite things to do:
- The Greenway del Lago di Como is an 11-km long type of nature trail extending from Griante (just south of Menaggio) to Colonno. We have just walked half of it and are happy to say it is a very needed and well organized activity. The path is very well marked and winds along the lakeside, through neighborhoods, pass some famous sites with stupendous vistas of the lake and mountains. It is - to our knowledge - the longest continuous recreational area on Lake Como. Perfect for hikers, nature lovers and for those who wish to discover the lake area on foot.
- Take the batello/slow cruise boat from Menaggio for 2.5 hours all the way down to Como, and take the speed boat back to Menaggio. The most spectacular parts of Lake Como are the wonderful villas built over the centuries, perched on the lakeshore, covered in vegetation with wonderful gardens. The best views of the villa's are from the lake, whereas it is hard to glimpse anything from the small lakeside road.
- Take the car up to Breglia and hike up a further 500 meters up to Rifuggio Menaggio for panoramic views over the central lake.
- Visit the "famous" villas with their accompanying gardens: Villa Melzi in Bellagio, Villas Cipressi & Monastero in Varenna, Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo, Villa Balbianello near Lenno, Villa Olmo in Como, and many more.
- Rent a powerboat by the hour/day/week, cruise down into the central lake area, stop the engine in the middle of the lake, and swim in refreshing blue water. After your swim, dock the boat at any number of lakeside restaurants for a leisurely, 2-hour + Italian lunch, then return to the boat for an afternoon cruise
- Have lunch/dinner at the Lido di Lenno and swim from the sandy beach. Visit the new Lido di Menaggio, with restaurant, beach, pool, disco and garden
- Find a great little cafe in one of the little lakeside villages, order a frothy cappucino and sit there with your newspaper or magazine for hours!
- Workout at the excellent Palestra/Gym that belongs to the Villa Serbelloni Hotel in Bellagio
- Take a day trip/ski trip for 1 hr 40 min. by car through a beautiful mountain pass to St. Moritz and its surrounding lakes. The other major ski resort nearest the lake is Madesimo.
- Book a seaplane tour of Lake Como (or two other lakes) with the Como Seaplane club, the only seaplane airport in Europe.
- Shop in Como, Milan or the 160-store strong Foxtown outlet mall in Mendrisio, Switzerland (Up to 40% off luxury goods from prior years).
- Take a day trip to splendid Lugano, a mere 25 km from Menaggio.
Cremia is approximately 10 km from Menaggio, which is one of the poshest resorts in the renowned Central Lake area, with ferry, boat, and bus connections to the entire area. One ferry stop from Menaggio are both Bellagio and Varenna, two jewels of the central lake area, and further on are Villa Carlotta, Lenno and Argegno and Como itself. North of Cremia and the central lake are the more rural tourist regions of the lake. Cremia/Menaggio are approximately 1 hr. 40 minutes from St. Moritz and 30 minutes from Lugano in Switzerland. Other Northern Italian cities of culture including Bergamo (2 hours), Verona (2.75 hours) and Venice (3.5 hours) can be managed as day trips. World class shopping for luxury goods can be done in Como (50 minutes) or Milan (1.5 hours).