Villa | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Villa Le Contesse sleeps 6+2 people in three bedrooms with three bathrooms and another four people in two annexes (Serenella & Limonaia), each with it's own living room, kitchenette bathroom and bedroom. It nestles in the immediate out skirts of Cortona, one of the many fabulous villas and stately mansions built in this prosperous part of Tuscany in the preceding centuries.
Protected from above by Etruscan walls, Villa Le Contesse, with its 250 square meters of living space, looks down upon the Ghibelline battlements of the tall tower of the princely renaissance estate of Palazzone and then out over the immense Val Di Chiana.
The feeling of the villa can be summed up by the plaque that lies at the foot of the well in the entrance courtyard. It says 'Salve' which in Italian means a friendly but polite hello.
Accommodation: The main villa is approached by a long gravel drive lined with mature Laurel hedges. It has rows of French windows with long dark green shutters that open to the garden at all sides. Carved Pietra Serena surrounds the doors and windows and the plastered face of the villa is set with 10 grinning gargoyles that benignly observe the surrounding garden.
Inside the villa one encounters the staircase to the upper floors and to either side the various sitting rooms and dining room that all open on to the garden via the French doors and are open plan one to the other. All the down stairs rooms have beautiful chestnut beams in the ceilings.
The small sitting room has a huge fireplace and several armchairs with tables that would be perfect for playing cards or taking tea. The other has more comfortable sofas, a glass coffee table, a Persian carpet and the television. It is also graced with a recently hand painted Fresco. It leads directly through to the dining room, which in turn leads to the kitchen.
From the kitchen one does a U turn through the maid's room (no longer in use) to a bathroom with gold plated taps and very impressive burgundy tiles. Every bathroom in the house has been designed with a luxurious feel.
The kitchen makes extensive use of marble and has a dishwasher, electric oven, full size fridge/freezer and a toaster. The coffee is made Italian style in a stovetop mocha. There is a breakfast table.
Upstairs the floors are wooden parquet. There are more French windows that open directly on to the back garden taking advantage of the steep incline. The stair case divides mid way, to the right one finds a double bedroom with large bathroom with shower. To the left are two double bedrooms sharing a bathroom with a bath. One of these bedrooms has a large walk in changing room/wardrobe and a small fireplace.
All the rooms are decorated in a rustic but elegant style in harmony with the age of the villa and it's location, there are many antique pieces through out.
The Annexes: Are each set into the hill facing the sunset view and have their own private out door eating area.They each have one bedroom and bathroom and a combined kitchen /living area with French doors to a terrace. They are furnished in traditional rustic style with some antique pieces and share the grounds, pool and laundry with Villa Le Contesse.
Garden & Swimming Pool: The grounds are extensive, comprising 2 hectares of mature and well-tended garden and parkland with small fountains, niches with classical statuary and overlooks hidden in unexpected places. The moss-covered walls are sprawled with creeping vines and ivy and terracotta urns on pedestals overflow with brightly coloured geraniums. Steeply terraced, there are shady lichen covered staircases giving way to olive groves and vineyards.
The pool (9.5 x 4.5, depth 1.30 meters) has been constructed down the hill on it's own terrace so that people playing noisy games will not disturb those taking a siesta in the villa or in either of it's annexes. It is approached by a graceful sweep of wide but shallow steps and has the same fantastic views as the rest of the property.
Attached to the end of the main villa but accessed from the garden is a laundry with washing machine and ironing facilities.
Suggested event for this property: Palio di Siena tickets.
While staying at this property we would like you to consider the possibility to attend the famous Palio di Siena, a world wide renowned event. The Palio takes place twice a year on July 2nd and on August 16. You can contact us to reserve your tickets.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Castiglione della Pescaia 140 km|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Perugia - Sant'Egidio 55 km, Nearest railway: Camucia 4 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 3 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (3)|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
The Tuscany region
The villa and its two dependance are situated a few minutes from Cortona sharing its fabulous view over the Val Di Chiana. The view takes in Montepulciano, Lago Trasimeno and in the far distance, Monte Amiata.
It is 10 minutes walk up hill to the centre of Cortona and even less time coming home. The closest airport is Florence (one hour) and Rome airport is about 2 ½ hours by car.
Nearest town: Cortona km 0,8
Restaurants: Cortona km 0,8
Supermarket: Camucia km 3
Grocery: Cortona km 0,8
Shops: Cortona km 0,8
Outlets: Valdichiana Outlet Village km 20
Bank: Cortona km 0,8
Post office: Cortona km 0,8
Chemistry: Cortona km 0,8
Tennis court: Cortona km 0,7
Golf: Golf Club Valdichiana km 20
Horse riding: San Pietro a Cegliolo km 3
SPA: Camucia km 3
Train station: Camucia km 4
Cortona is a small but fascinating city in the province of Arezzo, Tuscany, central Italy, situated on a commanding hill, and overlooking Lake Trasimeno. Its cyclopean walls reveal its Etruscan origins. It was one of the twelve cities of Etruria and in its vicinity many ruins and Etruscan tombs may be seen. Cortona sided against Rome until 310 B.C. when Fabius Rullianus defeated the Etruscans and took Perugia. Perugia, with other cities, including Cortona, then made peace with Rome. Later Cortona was destroyed by the Lombards but was soon rebuilt. In the 14 C, it was governed by the Casali and afterwards became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Many famous men were born or lived in Cortona, among them Brother Elias (Elia Coppi), the famous companion of St. Francis of Assisi, and later Vicar-General of the Franciscan Order; Cardinals Egidio Boni and Silvio Passerini; the painter Luca Signorelli; the architect and painter Pietro Berrettini (Pietro da Cortona). St. Margaret of Cortona (1248-97) was born at Laviano (Alviano) in the Diocese of Chiusi, and became the mistress of a nobleman of the vicinity. On discovering his body after he had met a violent death, she repented and, after a public penance, retired to Cortona, where she took the habit of a Tertiary of St. Francis and devoted her life to works of penance and charity. Leo X permitted her veneration at Cortona, and Urban VIII extended the privilege to the Franciscan Order. Benedict XIII canonised her in 1728. Her body rests in a beautiful sarcophagus in the church dedicated to her at Cortona.
It is not known whether Cortona was an episcopal see previous to its destruction by the Lombards. From that time until 1325 it belonged to the Diocese of Arezzo. In that year, at the request of Guglielmo Casali, John XXII raised Cortona to episcopal rank, as a reward for the fidelity of its Guelph populace, Arezzo remaining Ghibelline. The first bishop was Rainerio Ubertini. Other bishops were Luca Grazio, who was a distinguished member of the Council of Florence (1438); Matteo Concini (1560) and Gerolamo Gaddi (1562) were present at the Council of Trent. The cathedral and the other churches of Cortona possess numerous works of art, especially paintings of the school of Luca Signorelli and of Fra Angelico.