About the home
This apartment does not look like your average rental property, because it was not conceived as one. Instead it was planned as, and has been used as, our family home, and retains all the comfort and charm of that role. It has been restored and decorated to the highest of standards with flair and originality, and is furnished with antiques from our travels in Asia and Italy.
Its spacious terrace enjoys views over well-tended gardens and over roof-tops to the town's glorious round bell-tower and, in the opposite direction, to green-forested hills. The flat is just a stone's throw from the main square of ancient walled centre of Città di Castello, an authentic working town of great charm and historical interest located in the Tiber valley and surrounded by the stunningly green and unspoiled landscape of the Apennine mountains.
The old town is a delightful place just to relax and enjoy the better things in life, sampling local specialities and wine in excellent restaurants or wandering the cobbled streets to explore the town's medieval and renaissance heritage. Città di Castello is also ideally positioned for exploring further afield, be it on bike, foot or horseback to discover glorious scenery or by car, train or bus to take in some of the most important sites of central Italy. Florence, Perugia, Siena, Ravenna, Ancona, Assissi, Todi, Spello, Spoleto and Gubbio are just some of the possible day trips.
For more information about the property and the area, please click link at the bottom of the page to our personal website.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 5, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach:||Fano, 95km|
|Will consider:||Long lets|
|Access:||Car not necessary|
Nearest amenities: 100m
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Unsuitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||May take pets - please enquire|
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Internet access, DVD player|
|General:||Central heating, TV, CD player|
|Standard:||Kettle, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities:||Dishwasher, Cooker, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||3 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 family bathrooms|
|Furniture:||Sofabeds (1), Single beds (3), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seating for 6, Lounge seating for 5|
|Other:||Please check with the advertiser regarding linen and towels|
|Outdoors:||Balcony / Terrace|
Further details indoors:
- The apartment has been lovingly restored, retaining original fixtures, wooden beams and a variety of beautiful old floors, including terracotta tiles. Any newly installed fixtures, such as windows and staircase, have been chosen with great care.
- The apartment is on two floors, with living room, kitchen, bathroom and master bedroom on the lower floor, and a bedroom with three single beds (on request, the mattresses can also be moved from the location under the eaves as in the photo, and put together to make a double bed) , a study (with double sofa bed) and a small bathroom on the upper floor.
- The main bathroom on the lower floor is fully equipped with a bath/shower, while the upstairs bathroom just has a toilet and basin.
- The kitchen is fully equipped with everything you need to enjoy civilized meals.
- As well as a TV, DVD player and stereo, we provide a selection of CDs and DVDs (not to mention our guide to the area, local guide books, books, board games and some toys for children).
Further details outdoors:
- The flat has one large main terrace of about 12 square metres, which is accessed through large glass windows from the upper floor. It also has a small balcony by the entrance door as well as a smaller terrace, accessed through French windows from the kitchen.
- Parking in the old town centre is restricted to residents, but free and safe parking is available right outside the town walls in a car park, approximately three to four minutes walk from the apartment. It is also possible to drop off shopping, children, etc at the apartment before parking outside the walls.
The Umbria region
Umbria, fondly known as the 'green heart of Italy', is indeed located right in the centre of the leg of Italy and really does boast an unfair share of verdant green countryside. This landscape ranges from elegant and beautifully tended rolling hills - reflecting the influence of neighbouring Tuscany - to gloriously wild, unspoiled and mountainous as one moves towards the Marche, its neighbour on the east.
The province is part of the central area known as the 'Third Italy' (to distinguish if from the poorer, subsidy-dependent south and the north's large-scale industry), whose wealth is dependent on hard work in both agriculture and family businesses. The area's family-based economy is reflected in the friendly atmosphere and authentic feel of the province, where it is easy to sense the pulse of real Italian life away from the country's tourist hubs.
The Citta Di Castello area
Citta di Castello is located near the northern tip of Umbria, close to its borders with both Tuscany and Le Marche. Perhaps it is this location that makes Città di Castello is an Umbrian town with a difference. In a region full of austere medieval hill-top towns, Città di Castello, on the banks of the River Tiber, is by contrast open and bright. The austerity of its own medieval past has been softened by the refinement of Renaissance influences from nearby Florence.
Città di Castello is the perfect base from which to explore central Italy, but for those who just want to enjoy the charm and slow pace of this beautiful town, the flat is well-located. There is plenty to see, from the ancient city walls to the fabulous medieval 'Campanile Cilindrico' bell-tower, not to mention street upon cobbled street of elegant facades, a beautiful and active 17th century theatre, a fine municipal art gallery, and a stream of cultural events throughout the year (the town is also just 30 minutes from Perugia's internationally acclaimed Umbria Jazz festival, which takes place in mid-July).
When you need a break, there are of course numerous bars for your cappuccino or prosecco and many wonderful restaurants. Citta di Castello is also an excellent spot for lovers of outdoor activities. The Upper Tiber Valley's unspoiled countryside, surrounded by the Apennine mountains, is ideal for golf, hiking, mountain biking or horse-riding trips, as well as pot-holing or canoeing. The town has its own thermal springs and spa.
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
- Città di Castello is 30 minute drive (50km on a dual-carriageway) from Umbria International Airport at Perugia (Sant'Egidio), with cheap RyanAir flights (www.ryanair.com) to London Stansted, plus shuttles to Milan. A nearby train link also brings you straight to Città di Castello.
- Other useful airports include Ancona, Rimini, Pisa, Bologna and Rome, all within 1.5 to 2.5 hours by car from Città di Castello.
- Città di Castello has its own train station, but the main train hubs are Perugia (reachable via the local train) and Arezzo (reachable by taxi or bus). See www.trenitalia.it for train times.
- Avis offers car hire in Città di Castello.
- Making use of public transport for both arrival/departure and for sight-seeing, it is possible with this apartment to avoid hiring a car for your holiday.
- Detailed instructions for arriving at the apartment will be made available on booking.
Activities near Citta Di Castello
Tennis in town
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
09 Apr 2013
What a great place to stay. Feels like a home..not a rental. Great kitchen..well equipped. Nice living area..flat screen,DVD home theater system. Outside terrace is very nice with a view. But if your... more
20 Oct 2012
We were familiar with this area as we have family in SanGuistino, the next town over.
We loved this location, the apartment was in the heart of Citta. It was clean, large, had 2 terraces, the roof top terrace was great to sit out at night and drink some vino.
The people in Citta were very friendly and the food at the restaurants was out of this world. Citta is in a great location to other cities which we visited.
The only thing I would mention to Tiffany is to purchase a 10 cup coffee pot.
15 Oct 2012
We have been delighted with the house of Citta di Castello. The stay has been wonderful, the house is very nice and this beautiful decorated. This fully equipped with everything you need and is locales on a site privileged. The people are wonderful, lovely and very friendly. This very well situated to visit many cities. We have in many typical places, such as Florence, Siena, Pisa.... etc but also have by all Umbría. I think that this región is the great unknown and yet is beautiful. It has charming villages and landscapes are spectacular.
Lia is lovely and has treated us wonderfully.
Thanks for everything, we hope to return some day, we love it.
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 5|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|Winter 2012||1 Oct 12||22 Dec 12||£ 500||£ 85||£ 85||3 Nights|
|Christmas 2012||22 Dec 12||5 Jan 13||£ 600||£ 100||£ 100||5 Nights|
|Spring 2013||5 Jan 13||1 May 13||£ 500||£ 90||£ 90||3 Nights|
|Summer 2013||1 May 13||1 Oct 13||£ 600||£ 100||£ 100||3 Nights|
|Winter 2013||1 Oct 13||22 Dec 13||£ 500||£ 90||£ 90||3 Nights|
|Christmas 2014||22 Dec 13||5 Jan 14||£ 600||£ 100||£ 100||5 Nights|
|Spring 2014||5 Jan 14||1 May 14||£ 500||£ 90||£ 90||3 Nights|
The property's weekend rates apply to: Saturday and Sunday nights
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
- Discounts are considered for stays of more than two weeks.
- Prices include final cleaning and all utilities in summer months.
- In the winter, we charge at cost price per unit used for gas for heating.Enquire now
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Contact the owner
* Required fields
Please check the following errors:
2 years listed
You are contacting
The owner has advertised with Holiday Lettings since 2011. This apartment has received 7 reviews from previous guests.
Verified property owner
This owner has been verified by our team
Payment for this home can be made directly to the owner.