Villa | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Villa Lucia is situated in the seaside town of Chiclana, near historical Cadiz in Southern Spain. It is set in a quiet cul-de-sac near vineyards, and has a totally secluded walled garden with private patio areas and a 8 x 4m swimming pool.
If you are looking for a holiday with mile upon mile of beautiful and long sandy beaches, sleepy villages, traditional Spanish culture, a variety of golf courses and lots to see and do then this is the place for you.
The weather is good all year around with Atlantic breezes to keep it cool and the sunsets on the beaches here are fabulous. Choose between the natural unspoilt Sancti Petri beach or the famous blue flag 8km long Barossa beach with its bars and restaurants, both a 5 minute drive from the Villa. There are many bars and restaurants close by and the nearest supermarket is 1.5km from the Villa or the local shop is a 5 minute walk.
The nearest airport is Jerez, (south of Seville), around 40 minutes drive on motorway. Seville (1 hour 15 minutes to the villa) via Easyjet and Ryanair.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||La Barossa or Sancti Petri 6 km|
|Nearest Amenities||1.3 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Jerez 60 km, Nearest railway: San fernando 8 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Pool||Private outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||TV, CD player, Satellite TV|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (4), Double beds (1), Cots (2), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 7|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors||
The TV has Spanish channels and over 50 English satellite TV and radio channels including BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, ITV 1-4, CBBC, Cbeebies, plus news, music and golf. Note that if you bring your own Sky card with you then you can receive more channels.
There is a DVD Player & a selection of DVDs, a selection of CDs, books, children’s toys and games, hairdryer, cool box and parasol. There is a high chair and travel cot bed as well as a bed rail for toddlers.
There are ceiling fans for the Summer and heaters for the Winter.
|Further details outdoors||
Outside there is a dining area in the front porch (sun in the morning). The swimming pool at 8m x 4m is large enough for a swim and has roman steps leading into it, making it ideal for small children. However, children need to be supervised at all times near a pool. There is a vast patio area with 4 sun loungers and parasol. There is a table and chairs, ideal for a barbecue and a bottle of cava. Fabulous new stone barbecue so try out some local chorizo sausages - they're delicious!
The garden has total privacy both front and back with a high wall all the way around. You are not overlooked and there are no high rise buildings anywhere to be seen.
The Costa de la Luz region
The Costa de la Luz - the coast of light - is situated in the most southerly tip of Spain providing sunshine throughout the year. With plenty of history in this area, it is from here where Columbus set sail to find the new world.
It is a world away from the other Spanish costas with very little development and clean sandy white beaches.
The Spanish take their holiday here so you can guarantee you are getting a real Spanish holiday!
Ideally located, you will be spoilt for choice of day trips to choose:-
1) Visit the oldest city in Europe, Cadiz (15 mins) and explore an enchanting spiderweb of narrow alleyways dotted with atmospheric tavernas.
2) Drive into the mountains and take in old (pueblo blanco) white villages such as Arcos with its magnificent cliff views, ancient Medina Sidonia or hill-top Vejer de la Frontera with its cobblestone streets and beautiful plaza.
3) Sample the colourful fiestas and carnivals in the premier city of Seville (75 mins). The Cathedral here is truly amazing!
4) Visit Jerez (40 mins), world famous for its dancing horses, flamenco, local sherry & brandy bodegas! I can recommend a visit to the Tio Pepe bodega for an organised tour.
5) Drive to Gibraltar (90 mins) and do some tax free shopping, take a cable car ride, visit the famous rock, barbary apes and caves.
6) Explore Tarifa (60 mins) with its interesting roman ruins and famous gigantic sand dune (which you can walk up).
7) Go on a whale and dolphin watching boat trip from Tarifa, taking in the African coastline.
8) If you're feeling really adventurous take a 35 minute ferry from Tarifa to Tangiers, Morocco and shop in the vibrant markets. You can even stay overnight on an organised trip.
9) For the kids there is a theme park in Seville, a zoo and crocodile farm in Jerez and a waterpark in Puerto de Santa Maria (15 mins drive).
10) If golf is your thing then you'll be spoilt for choice of courses.
There are many fiestas and carnivals in the area. At Easter there are Spanish fiestas in Jerez and Seville. Seville (only 1hour 15 mins) boasts two of the largest festive celebrations in the whole province if not the whole of Spain. Semana Santa (Easter Week) is truly spectacular with extraordinary processions of masked penitents and carnival-style floats.
Feria de Abril only two weeks later is not to be missed. It is on a far grander scale than the annual ferias held elsewhere in the province. A one time market festival this is now a week long party of drink, food, fino and flamenco.
First week May - Spring horse fair in Jerez - famous for its magnificent dancing horses.
June and July boast various fiestas within the area which are worth a visit.
September is party time in Jerez with horse parades and carnivals.
Golf Information: There are 7 golf courses, including 4 championship courses, all within 40 minutes drive, from the villa. The courses are not overcrowded and the area has little rainfall, making Chiclana one of the sunniest places in Spain and ideal weather for golf. 1) Nova Sancti Petri Golf,(designed by Seve Ballesteros has stunning views of the sea), 36 hole course (2 x 9, 1 x 18), Chiclana. 2) San Andres Golf, 9 hole course (soon to be 18), Chiclana. 3) Campano Golf, 9 hole course, Chiclana. 4) Vista Hermosa Golf, 9 hole course, Santo Maria. 5) Dehesa Montenmedio Golf, 18 hole course, Vejer. 6) Costa Ballena Golf (designed by Jose Maria Olazabal), 18 hole course, Rota Jerez. 7) Montecastillo, (designed by Jack Niclaus),18 hole course, Jerez.
Chiclana is a seaside holiday resort very popular with the Sevillians who find Seville too hot during the summer months.
1) Choose between two award winning beaches. The Barossa blue flag family friendly beach just 5 minutes from the villa with its promenade of shops and restaurants. Sancti Petri beach is also 5 minutes and has a very natural feel to it. Both have free parking.
Barossa beach is perfect for children with facilities close and the shallow gradient into the water.
2) Visit the local Market with fresh Spanish produce and make yourself a Spanish dinner using the cookbooks at the villa. My favourite is Chorizo casserole! There are many well stocked supermarkets close to the villa.
3) If you do want to sample Spanish culture visit the lively markets.
4) Sample some fino (sherry) at one on the many bodegas
5) There are many watersports at Sancti Petri.
6) Go horseriding along the beach in Novo Sancti Petri.
7) Enjoy Spanish flamenco nights out (el Sortillo).
8) Eat tapas at the local bars (it's very cheap here).
9) All the Spanish have 11am coffee, or churros and chocolate - join in you feel really Spanish.
10) Visit the local natural Spa for a soak or a massage - just a short walk from the villa
11) Take a trip to Sancti Petri Island - boats also leave at dusk so you can watch the beautiful sunsets.
The town also has its own Carnivals and fiestas at key times of the year.
I've been here many times and still haven't managed to do everything!