Farmhouse | 5 bedrooms | sleeps 4
Stang Korvenn was once a little hamlet of traditional stone built long-houses on the bank of the River Aulne (part of the Nantes - Brest Canal), 5 minutes from the bustling market town of Châteauneuf-du-Faou, and 20 minutes from the beautiful medieval city of Quimper. The village of Saint Thois with its bar and local grocery shop for morning croissants is less than 1 kilometre away. Wonderful beaches lie within easy reach 30 minutes away, there is fantastic fishing right next to the house and excellent golf courses within 30 minutes. As the port of Roscoff is only an hour away you don't have to spend a fortune getting here either!
Conveniently situated just off the (quiet) main road, it is surrounded by tree-lined secluded grounds and direct (but gated) access to the riverbank which stretches for miles in each direction. There are 2 lovely houses on this site, Maison du Vert Rivage with 3 luxury B & B rooms and the smaller self catering Gite du Vert Rivage sleeping up to 5. In its 3 acres of gardens there is plenty of space to stretch out and relax, and there are separate outside areas for the house and gite, as well as areas that can be shared.
Maison du Vert Rivage was previously rented out as a holiday let, and this season marks the start of our new B & B venture. It has undergone extensive rennovations including new en suite bath and shower rooms, new furnishings and room configurations to provide a unique and extremely comfortable French country B & B.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 5 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Saint Nic 35 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car advised, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest Amenities||10 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Brest 65 km, Nearest railway: Quimper 30 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player, Staffed property|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Table tennis, Games room, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Fridge, Washing machine|
|Rooms||5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 3 En suites|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (3), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, Shared garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set, Private fishing lake or river|
|Access||Parking, Wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors||
The main house can sleep up to 8 people in 2 double bedrooms and 1 family suite plus a cot for infants.
B & B bedrooms:
* All upstairs bedrooms oak floored.
• Large double room with either a luxury Super king sized or 2 X 1m single beds, also with new en suite shower and WC.
• Ground floor double bedroom with luxury Super King sized or 2 x 1m single beds en suite shower room and WC. Would suit anyone unable to manage stairs.
* Family suite of 2 adjoining bedrooms with family sized bathroom and separate WC. Can also be configured as luxury suite for a couple, with separate lounge.
*All rooms have French and English TV, complementary drinks fridge and tea / coffee making facilities.
* Bed linen is luxury white cotton, towels are beautiful fluffy white cotton, bath robes and Molton Brown toiletries are also provided!
• Large lounge / dining room with log burning stove, free Wi-Fi
• Stereo hi fi system with input for mp3 players
* Access to large exterior decked dining area with lighting, retractable awning, garden furniture and barbecue - the ideal place for al fresco breakfast and evening meals!
|Further details outdoors||
• Exclusive large (40 sq m) decked dining area with views over the canal / river with barbecue, exterior lighting and good quality wooden garden furniture
• Own separate garden areas, and private access to river. (Please note that this is not actually a private stretch of river, but access is via private garden).
• Separate parking for gite and main house
* Access to the river is via a self closing gate in fence next to rear garden area.
Shared with the adjoining gite:
* Games barn with table tennis, bait fridge, table football, darts etc. Space to store bikes and fishing equipment.
* 4 bicycles - adult sized.
* Lockable second barn available by arrangement for motor bike storage.
* Large front field with space for ball games, badminton etc.
10% discount on crossings with Brittany Ferries as our guests.
Price includes continental breakfast: Fresh local croissants, fresh local bread, pastries, eggs, fruit compote, yoghourt, juice, coffee, fresh fruit. Evening meals and packed lunches can be available on request for extra cost (24 hours' notice required).
The Brittany region
Stang Korvenn is in the midst of the beautiful countryside and unspoilt coasts of Finistère, with activities to suit every taste (unless you're looking for noise and crowds!) Often described as similar to Devon or Cornwall (though much less crowded), you may just fall in love as we have with the rugged landscape and golden beaches of this inspiring part of the world. The climate is also similar to the South West of England, but usually has a warmer summer. Winters are generally mild too.
With such variety there really is something for everyone - whether you like to visit a chic resort like Benodet on the South Coast, or any of the hundreds of secluded beaches on the Crozon peninsula. Even in the height of summer you can often find yourselves alone on a beach here. And no car parking charges!
Lovers of good food and wine will be spoiled for choice - the seafood is unrivalled, and as fresh as you can get. Local specialities include the famous buckwheat crepes (either savoury or sweet), and the Breton cider is delicious.
Chateauneuf Du Faou
The village of Saint Thois is less than 1 km away, and has a church, a quiet bar, a café, a post office and a grocery store selling bread, croissants, cheese and wine etc. The pretty market town of Chateauneuf du Faou is a 5 minute drive away, or you can cycle there along the tow path on the other side of the canal. There you will find restaurants, creperies, bars and cafes plus larger shops, a supermarket and banks etc. Nearby there are many other friendly towns and villages to explore, each with its own unique character. During summer months there are many music festivals, from traditional folk and jazz to the 3 day music festival at Carhaix in July. This is France's Glastonbury (Bruce Springsteen. Lou Reed, Chemical Bros and the Killers have played here) though at 140€ for the weekend less than 75% of the cost! Only 30 minutes away.
The medieval city of Quimper is a little over 20 minutes away with its spectacular cathedral, fascinating winding streets, half timbered buildings and chic shops, bars and restaurants. A little further inland lies the quaint lakeside town of Huelgoat with mystery walks into the forest with enormous boulders like gigantic Henry Moore sculptures.
Wild life is abundant, with kingfisher, heron and many other beautiful birds to watch, as well as the occasional otter and even coypu in the river right outside the house. Children and families are well catered for, as well as the child free.
Both coarse and sea fishing are extremely good here. Day (10€ approx) or week (30€ approx from 1st June to December) tourist licenses can be obtained for your stay, and many personal best catches have been made in the river right outside our garden! We have a (written) fishing guide available on request to provide all the information you need, and some spare fishing equipment (chairs, nets) we can loan you.