Villa | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
An exclusive detached private villa, lovingly restored by the owner. The luxurious interior combines original Cretan features with contemporary fittings. This would appeal to guests looking for luxury, privacy and modern comforts.
Verekinthos Villas is an impressive 240sqm traditional Cretan villa with a 40sqm swimming pool, set on the outskirts of Gerolakos village in Keramia (just 16km from Chania centre and old town).
Originally built in the 1800's, the Papafilipakis family farm house,
Lying at the foothills of the White Mountains, high castle-like stone walls shelter and embrace Verekinthos Villas.
Enjoy the ever changing landscape of the White Mountains (Lefka Ori), birds chirping and general serenity of this quiet and peaceful location.
(just 15 min away from the center of chania)
Nikos the owner of the villa is willing to give you everything you need to feel like you're home and have a wonderful and unique holidays.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Nea-chora,beach 17 km|
|Nearest Amenities||3 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Souda airport 27 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, Air conditioning, TV, Video player, CD player, Safe, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 2 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||2 Sofa beds, Double beds (3), Cots (1), Dining seats for 2, Lounge seats for 2|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Swing set|
The Crete region
For your first-time arrival, Nikos will likely have made arrangements with you (via email correspondence) to meet with you at the General Hospital of Chania and you can follow him to get to Verekinthos Villas. This way, he shows you the route and welcomes you personally to his establishment.
Alternatively, continue up from the General Hopsital of Chania towards 'Malaxa' village. Take the right turn to 'Kondopoula' village and then follow signs to 'Gerolakos' village. At the start of Gerolakos village, on your right hand side, you will see Verekinthos Villas - you have arrived!
Activities in the area:
• Drive to nearby villages: Drakona - Therisso ( a village as well as a unique gorge that you drive through) - Zourva - Meskla.
Drakona village has 2 reputable traditional taverns (‘Dounias’ and ‘Tzaneri & Archondissa’) offering traditional Cretan dishes.
The village of Therisso also has many taverns – this is mainly visited by the locals for Sunday lunch. In Meskla village, visit the Botanical Park of Crete. (link to http://botanical-park.gr/Default.aspx?lang=en )
• Drive to Omalos (the start of the well known Samaria gorge).
• Hike the Samaria gorge – This is the well known gorge of Samaria, where thousands of visitors come to Crete and hike this gorge. This is a 15km (mainly downhill) hike – a whole day event. You can do it on your own by use of the local bus service from Chania central bus station or by organized tour (ask us while you are staying with us). Please note: that you do not (at the end of the hike, return to Omalos, so do not drive to Omalos and leave your car there). The end of the hike leads to the coastal town of Agia Roumeli. From there, a ferry will take you either to the coastal town of Sougia or to Sfakia and from there a bus back to Chania. Please take special care when arranging to hike this gorge.
• Hike Diktamos gorge – Hike the 8km gorge of Diktamos. This begins at Katochori village (about 3.5km from Verekinthos Villas) and ends in Stylos village (or vice versa). The hike takes about 3 and half hours each way. At Stilos village visit the church of Agios Ioannis Theologos and enjoy a drink or meal at one of the taverns.
• Psichro Pigadi (Keramia) Tavern – Psichro Pigadi is located at 1080m above sea level and offers good food at its tavern and absolutely majestic views to Chania and the sea! The drive up can be steep but very scenic.
• Volikas Mountain Shelter – This is the oldest refuge or mountain shelter in the White Mountains (or ‘Leka Ori’). Located on the Volika peak at 1450m. Tip: take the road from Madaro village.
• Malaxa village – Drive to Malaxa village (on route to Chania in any event) and enjoy lunch or a drink at any of the 3 cafés/taverns there. This location offers panoramic views to Souda (the port of Chania), Chania old town as well as the Akrotiri peninsula.
• Visit the centre of Chania as well as the must-see old Venetian harbor and town (about 17 kilometers from Verekinthos Villas).
Some of the more popular places there are the Naval Museum, the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Museum, the Archaeological museum, the Turkish mosque (which now functions as an arts exhibit hall), the Municipal Art Gallery of Chania, the Jewish Synagogue and Hallidon Street (the most famous street of the old town). For more information, have a look at http://www.chania.gr/en and http://www.xania.net/oldharbor.html (with several photos) and http://www.west-crete.com/
For a helpful map of Chania Centre and the Old Venetian town: http://www.plataniasguide.gr/images/stories/areamaps/hania_townplan.jpg
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
25 Sep 2013
"Superb villa... relax in luxury in the Cretan mountains"
Having read the other reviews and visited the owners website - we had high expectations of this villa - we were not disappointed... our expectations were exceeded in every respect.The villa buildings … More
3 Oct 2012
"Fantastic house, warm and welcoming"
We loved staying at this fantastic village in Chania. Nikos was a great host and he has a lovely home full of beautiful details. We were two couples with children (3-6 years old). The house has lots … More
21 May 2012
"A gorgeous mountain hideaway, just a hop and a jump from cosmopolitan Chania"
My wife and I had exclusive rental of this beautifully renovated set of villas (they are attached but separate and comfortably sleep 6) for 9 nights this May.It was an extremely relaxing week in a gre… More
You're booking with
85% Response rate
Based in Greece
- Visit site
- 624 properties
- 460 properties
- 48 properties
- Kalives, Crete
- 23 properties
- Akrotiri, Crete
- 21 properties
- 16 properties
- 12 properties
- Kato Valsamonero
- 10 properties
- 6 properties