Watermill | 5 bedrooms | sleeps 12
An old converted watermill, Moulin Niras has five spacious en suite double bedrooms, plus an additional children's bedroom. The mill has been sympathetically renovated and extended using local craftsmen and materials, creating a peaceful haven with modern comforts and lots of South of France charm. It sits in the middle of three acres of secluded and mature gardens, surrounded by farmland and woods, and yet is only a ten minute walk to the village of Callas. The superb pool area has plenty of lounging areas, including around an outdoor fireplace, plus good facilities for outside dining.
Callas, featured in the June issue of Conde Nast's Traveller magazine, is just half an hour from the Bay of St Tropez and with Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Aix-en-Provence and the Gorges du Verdon all within an hour's reach. It is well-served by the best butcher and wine shop in the area, plus has all the village traditionals including bakery, general store, cafe and post office and weekly market.
|Size||Sleeps up to 12, 5 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Ste Maxime 30 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Nice 80 km, Nearest railway: Draguignan 15 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Telephone, Games room, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||5 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms of which 5 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (6), Double beds (3), Cots (2), Dining seats for 12, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
- A 'cook's' kitchen with La Canche double oven, large fridge-freezer, hand-built wood cabinets, stone sink and counter-tops and well-stocked equipment
- The huge central living area (over 1000 ft sq with 20ft ceiling) with original features from the old watermill (including gears, millstone and the waterwheel), has large sofas either side of a large open fireplace, and dining area with antique furniture
- Flatscreen TV, Bose sound system, DVD player and nearly 100 DVDs to choose from
- Games room with flatscreen TV, DVD player and foosball (babyfoot./table football)
- Bedrooms are located across the house giving lots of privacy, each with new well-functioning en suite bathrooms
- Wireless internet throughout house and pool area
- Stonewalls, terracotta tile and flagstone floors, and wood beams throughout the house, creating a cool, relaxed atmosphere, yet with no compromise on modern comforts and conveniences
- All bed, bath and pool linens provided, and twice-weekly maid service included, plus cook service can be arranged
|Further details outdoors|
- Often-complimented pool area with large (12 x 6 metre) tiled swimming pool, flagstone terrace, teak loungers and dining facilities, Weber gas barbecue, and roofed fireplace area with banquette seating and cushions. Featuring the old waterwheel. Meets the new French swimming pool safety laws, including having a pool alarm. Good mix of open and shaded areas.
- Very private (not overlooked) three acres of mature gardens, with olive trees, a rose and herb garden, old terraces, and patio areas
- Boules (patanque) court, large grass areas for children's sports
- Swimming pool open May to October
- English-speaking house manager lives five minutes away
- all bedlinens, bath towels and pool towels are included
- baby equipment (high chair, Graco Pack N Play bed, and baby monitors) available
- twice-weekly maid service is provided
- utilities including firewood are included
- cook service can be arranged
The Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur region
- Referred to by Conde Nast Traveller magazine as 'the real Provence', the Var is one of 'best finds' in the South of France with a range of attractions from quiet villages, to rural hiking areas across forests and gorges, to hip beach areas, to vineyards to sports facilities.
- Callas is one of a series of hilltop villages in the area, about half an hour to the coast and an hour from city attractions such as Nice and Aix-en-Provence with its Roman history and walking streets, and the impressive Gorges du Verdon (Europe's 'Grand Canyon') with its great scenery and hiking possibilities
- The climate is sunny and dry from spring to autumn, with mild winters, often with very little rain. Daytime temperatures in summer are hot, but evenings' balmy and comfortable, meaning air conditioning is not needed.
Callas is rooted in medieval times and today is a charming Var village with tall townhouses and narrow winding streets. It features all the village shop essentials including general store, post office, cafe/bar and bakery, plus has probably the best butcher and wine shop in the area. It also has a handful of restaurants, including the Michelin-starred Gorges du Pennafort, plus a weekly Saturday market in the village square ('visit any market in the Var...you'll find an overwhelming passion for food' - Conde Nast Traveller, June 2007), and the best olive-oil producer (producting 'olive oils with extraordinary variety and subtlety' - Conde Nast Traveller, June 2007).
The efficient tourist information office has details on the area's many activities, from sports (tennis, biking, canoeing, horse riding etc) to attractions such as music events, festivals, vineyards, and perfume-making at nearby Grasse