Dragonfly Cottage, Ty Newydd
Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
Dragonfly Cottage, is the perfect base to relax and escape the pace of modern life. Tucked away on the east side of the Beacons, just four miles south of Brecon it is in a prime spot for getting out into the countryside to explore the park.
Set in a traditional Welsh Farmhouse Courtyard we are surrounded by lush farmland and mountains. You can access the canal tow path from the bottom of our drive, where you will find a traditional canal boat marina, which is a feast of colour any time of the year. You can get out into the countryside by avoiding roads entirely so it is great for walking, safe cycling and boating.
This traditional stone built cottage used to be a coach house until it was recently converted. It has all the modern amenities you'd expect whilst keeping its traditional character, including vaulted ceilings throughout and exposed oak beams. All furnishings and fittings are new and of good quality. Allocated parking is provided for up to two cars and secure storage can be provided for bikes. There is an outdoor seating area with table and chairs.
Pubs and restaurants are within a few miles. A couple are a short walk away. Brecon (4 miles) offers supermarkets, bakery, butcher, banks, theatre, cinema, leisure center, museums.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest Amenities||6 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Cardiff 70 km, Nearest railway: Abergavenny 50 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
The Powys/Brecon Beacons region
Boots and Bikes are both very welcome here. With old tram roads, canal tow paths and mountain trails there is something for all abilities to get out and discover the lush Welsh countryside.
Dragonfly Cottage is in the central area of the park so a great base to access the four main regions – the Black Mountain West, Fforest Fawr (Great Forest), the Brecon Beacons in the centre, and the Black Mountains East.
The landscape is varied from the rugged mountain peaks to grassy moorland with grazing Welsh mountain ponies, to forestry plantations, and farmland in the valleys. There are many remote reservoirs, waterfalls and caves.
There are lots of historical sites to discover. Burial cairns from the Bronze age can be found on hills in the west. There are over twenty Iron Age hill-forts and numerous castles from the Norman Conquest around the park.
The Brecon and surrounding area has some great activities to offer.
1) Safe Cycling - Bring your bikes (or hire) and cycle straight from the cottage along the canal to a number of cycle tracks
2) Climb a mountain - Pen-y-fan, the second highest mountain in the south of England, is not far from the cottage
3) Visit some magical Waterfalls - The main area is Ystradfellte which is known as waterfall country, however there are smaller local waterfalls dotted all over the park. The famous Henrhyd waterfall is 27 metres high.
4) Go under ground - The National Show Caves; Has three caves to be explored, the Dan yr Ogof, the Cathedral Showcave and the Bone Cave. All are spectacular.
5) Be a miner for the day - Bleanavon Ironworks and The Big Pit Mining Museum; This is a world heritage site and its FREE
6) When you think of wales you think of Castles - Carreg Cennen Castle; This is probably the most photographed castle on the planet, and you can see why. It perched on a breath taking cliff and has been bracing the elements for 700 years.
7) The National Museum Wales at St Fagans - Is one of Europe's leading open-air museums. Wander round this living museum and see over forty original buildings from various historical periods.
8) Zip through the sky - Llangorse activity centre, has climbing and now a new zip wire
9) Get Paddling - Hire a canoe and get it delivered to Dragonfly Cottage where you can get straight onto the canal. No experience necessary
10) Drink a pint of Real Ale - Visit one of our local pubs and eat some proper local Welsh fayre
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
26 Aug 2014
Dragonfly Cottage is excellently situated close to good walking in the Brecon Beacons, and with a canal-side path a few yards down the lane (don't miss the aquaduct). It's also handy for tr… More
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
Rachel and Sid G.
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:20 Sep 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 140 properties
- 88 properties
- 51 properties
- 50 properties
- 48 properties
- Builth Wells
- 37 properties
- Llandrindod Wells
- 30 properties
- 26 properties
- 24 properties
- 18 properties
- 18 properties
- 16 properties
- 15 properties
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 9 properties
- Llanwrtyd Wells
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- Ewyas Harold
- 7 properties
- 6 properties