Bwthyn Afon (River Cottage)
Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 3
Bwthyn Afon is a charming 18th century miner's holiday cottage. Set in a quiet location overlooking fields and nearby river & only a few minutes walk away from the Ffestiniog Steam Train railway station in Tanygrisiau. The cottage was completed renovated in 2012 and is decorated and furnished to provide delightful, homely accommodation to a high standard whilst retaining many character features such as an impressive inglenook fireplace with multi fuel stove in the lounge area, exposed beams and reproduction style panelling on the open staircase. The kitchen area is well equipped and modern in styling with spotlighting, whilst retaining a country cottage look and feel to it.
Situated in the heart of the Snowdonia National Park, the cottage stands amongst some dramatic scenery and enjoys views of countryside & hillside encompassing the Manod mountains at the front with a craggy backdrop of the Moelwyn mountains which protect the village from much of the wind from northerly gales in the winter and give the village a pleasant southerly aspect with relatively mild weather considering how high it's located in Snowdonia.
Features & Facilities include:
• Open plan living accommodation with well appointed lounge & dining area with inglenook fireplace housing a multi fuel stove on a raised slate hearth, with exposed beams in the lounge area.
• The kitchen area is well appointed and equipped with electric oven/grill and hob with extractor hood, microwave, integrated fridge with icebox & washer/dryer.
• Electric 'DuoHeat' smart radiators throughout.
• Complimentary bottle of wine & welcome gift on arrival
• Electricity & starter pack of fuel for Multi fuel stove included
• 2 well behaved dogs welcome (please bring own dog beds and towels)
• Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms, the double bedroom has delightful views across the river and fields towards mountainous scenery and the single bedroom is light & airy.
• Bed Linen, towels and tea towels provided. We also provide the following 'consumables': Washing up liquid, washing up brush, cloth & sponge, washing powder/liquid, dishcloths, and tea towels. Liquid soaps by washbasins, toilet roll and bin bags. We also provide a small supply of Tea, Coffee & Sugar and a selection of Herbal & Fruit Teas. There is also a condiment set of Salt, Pepper & Vinegar, and a small selection of assorted herbs.
• Off road parking for 1 car opposite cottage, additional parking on first come first served basis in allocated parking bay opposite cottage.
• Lakeside Café only a 2 minute walk & pub is approximately a 20 minute walk. The nearby town of Blaenau Ffestiniog offers an array of shops, eating establishments & pubs.
• Strictly No Smoking
• LCD TV/DVD/CD with FreeSat, iPod dock & a good selection of DVD's, books, games & puzzles.
• There is an enclosed rear courtyard with small outbuilding, and an enclosed gated front garden, a great spot to enjoy evening drinks after a day spent enjoying the wonderful scenery and numerous outdoor pursuits the area has to offer. There is also secure bike storage.
Note: The arrival time at this property is 4pm, and guests are welcome to stay until 11am on the departure day.
|Size||Sleeps up to 3, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Black Rock Sands, Morfa Bychan 13 km|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest railway: Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd 1.5 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (1), Double beds (1), Dining seats for 3, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
The North Wales region
Nowhere else in Britain will you find such variety, in such a compact area, as you will in Snowdonia - or Eryri as it is known in Welsh. There are many places to visit, and things to do in Snowdonia, so come and enjoy what's on offer.
The cottage stands amongst some dramatic scenery and enjoys views of countryside & hillside encompassing the Manod mountains at the front with a craggy backdrop of the Moelwyn mountains which protect the village from much of the wind from northerly gales in the winter and give the village a pleasant southerly aspect with relatively mild weather considering how high it's located in Snowdonia. The cottage is situated in a terrace of about 12 cottages and is located in a quiet position away from the main road and passing traffic, there are parking bays opposite which are for the use of the terrace, so parking should not be a problem, but is on a first come, first served basis.
Situated in the village of Tanygrisiau, meaning 'Under the Steps', a close neighbour of the larger town, better known as Blaenau Ffestiniog. An ideal location for exploring the attractions Snowdonia offers.
The village has a local pub called The King's Head (locally known as the Tap) which is about a 20 minute walk away, and there is a local bus service which runs regularly into Blaenau Ffestiniog and can be picked up at the end of the terrace. There is also Tanygrisiau Lakeside Café a 2 minute walk away which offers a wide choice of snacks & meals during the day and a Greek Tavern by night (please check opening times to avoid disappointment as they do not open every night), they also offer a good breakfast menu which will set you up for the day.
The Moelwyns protect the village from much of the wind from northerly gales in the winter and give the village a pleasant southerly aspect with relatively mild weather considering its location high in Snowdon. The village stands amongst some dramatic scenery; a good base for a quiet relaxing break, whilst being centrally located for excursions further afield, such as the World Famous Ffestiniog narrow gauge steam railway, Llechwedd slate caverns, many CADW heritage sites, such as Harlech Castle, and the Italianate village of Portmeirion is only a short drive away.
The renowned Grapes Inn, a 17th Century Coaching Inn & Restaurant is only 2 miles away. The town of Blaenau Ffestiniog offers a range of public houses, eating establishments, gift shops, chemist and Leisure Centre.
A short drive away is Coed y Brenin, one of the best mountain bike centres in Britain. Bikes are available for hire and the visitor Ffestiniog holiday cottagescentre offers a good selection of snacks. There is also the world class downhill biking centre above Blaenau Ffestiniog and around Tanygrisiau along with a network of other biking routes to suit all tastes.
In 1776, Lord George Lytton toured through Wales, when he arrived at Ffestiniog he wrote; “Nothing remarkable occurred in our ride, until we came to Ffestiniog, the Vale before which is the most perfectly beautiful of all we had seen …. with the woman one loves, with the friend of one's heart, and a good study of books, one might pass an age there, and think it but a day. If you have a mind to live long and renew your youth, come and settle in Ffestiniog”.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
27 Apr 2014
"Fantastic place to stay"
Marvellous cottage that was home from home. Clean and tidy and made to feel very welcome. Right down to the little gifts on arrival… More
Glad you all had a really lovely stay and found the cottage comfortable and clean, hope to welcome you back in the future, regards Angie and Rich
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:31 Aug 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 134 properties
- 134 properties
- 117 properties
- 113 properties
- 91 properties
- 78 properties
- 70 properties
- 48 properties
- Blaenau Ffestiniog
- 47 properties
- 33 properties
- Bangor - Wales
- 21 properties
- 17 properties
- Llan Ffestiniog
- 12 properties
- Menai Bridge
- 12 properties
- 12 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties