Bwthyn Ger Afon Cottage
Cottage | 1 bedrooms | sleeps 2
Bwthyn Ger Afon, meaning Riverplace Cottage is a delightful, charming 18th century miner's cottage. Completely renovated, decorated and furnished to a high standard and provides delightful, homely accommodation whilst retaining character features such as exposed ceiling beams.
Situated amongst some dramatic scenery in the heart of the Snowdonia National Parkand set in a quiet location overlooking fields and a nearby river & only a few minutes walk away from the Ffestiniog Steam Train railway station in Tanygrisiau. Bwthyn Ger Afon is the perfect retreat all year round for couples seeking a romantic and real getaway from it all.
Bwthyn Ger Afon exudes a warm friendly welcome, along with providing comfortable accommodation and a real home from home. Situated in a quiet terrace in the village of Tanygrisiau, meaning 'Under the Steps', the cottage is away from the main thoroughfare, and with no passing traffic makes it a 'perfect getaway from it all' location. The cottage stands amongst some dramatic scenery and enjoys views of countryside & hillside encompassing the Manod mountains at the front with a craggy backdrop of the Moelwyn mountains which protect the village from much of the wind from northerly gales in the winter and give the village a pleasant southerly aspect with relatively mild weather considering how high it's located in Snowdonia.
Features & Facilities include:
• The lounge area is warm & welcoming with a real 'home from home' feel. Exposed beams are throughout the lounge and the multi fuel wood burning stove which is set on a slate hearth finishes the room off beautifully.
• The kitchen area is well equipped with electric cooker, induction hob, extractor hood, microwave, fridge with icebox and washer/ dryer.
• Downstairs bathroom with Welsh purple slate floor with white bathroom suite comprising of a twin ended bath, shower attachment over, low level WC and basin. Well appointed and modern in design.
• Spacious bedroom upstairs which is light & airy with delightful views across the river and fields towards mountainous scenery. There is a sitting area to relax in as well as the well appointed sleeping area which has a king size bed. All thoughtfully laid out with couples in mind.
• Electric radiators.
• Complimentary bottle of wine & welcome gift on arrival
• Electricity & starter pack of fuel for Multi fuel wood burning stove included
• 2 well behaved dogs welcome (please bring own dog beds and towels)
• Bed Linen, towels and tea towels provided. We also provide the following 'consumables': Washing up liquid, washing up brush, cloth & sponge, washing powder/liquid, dishcloths, and tea towels. Liquid soaps by washbasins, toilet roll and bin bags. We also provide a small supply of Tea, Coffee & Sugar and a selection of Herbal & Fruit Teas. There is also a condiment set of Salt, Pepper & Vinegar, and a small selection of assorted herbs.
• Off road parking for 1 car opposite cottage, additional parking on first come first served basis in allocated parking bay opposite cottage.
• Lakeside Café only a 2 minute walk & pub is approximately a 20 minute walk. The nearby town of Blaenau Ffestiniog offers an array of shops, eating establishments & pubs.
• Strictly No Smoking
• LCD TV/DVD/CD with FreeSat, iPod dock & a good selection of DVD's, books & games.
• There is an enclosed rear courtyard with deep borders, and an enclosed gated front garden, a great spot to enjoy evening drinks after a day spent enjoying the wonderful scenery and numerous outdoor pursuits the area has to offer.
|Size||Sleeps up to 2, 1 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest railway: Blaenau Ffestiniog 1.5 km|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Washing machine|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (1), Dining seats for 2, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
The North Wales region
Nowhere else in Britain will you find such variety, in such a compact area, as you will in Snowdonia - or Eryri as it is known in Welsh. There are many places to visit, and things to do in Snowdonia, so come and enjoy what's on offer.
The cottage stands amongst some dramatic scenery and enjoys views of countryside & hillside encompassing the Manod mountains at the front with a craggy backdrop of the Moelwyn mountains which protect the village from much of the wind from northerly gales in the winter and give the village a pleasant southerly aspect with relatively mild weather considering how high it's located in Snowdonia. The cottage is situated in a terrace of about 12 cottages and is located in a quiet position away from the main road and passing traffic, there are parking bays opposite which are for the use of the terrace, so parking should not be a problem, but is on a first come, first served basis.
Situated in the village of Tanygrisiau, meaning 'Under the Steps', a close neighbour of the larger town, better known as Blaenau Ffestiniog. An ideal location for exploring the attractions Snowdonia offers.
The village has a local pub called The King's Head (locally known as the Tap) which is about a 20 minute walk away, and there is a local bus service which runs regularly into Blaenau Ffestiniog and can be picked up at the end of the terrace. There is also Tanygrisiau Lakeside Café a 2 minute walk away which offers a wide choice of snacks & meals during the day and a Greek Tavern by night (please check opening times to avoid disappointment as they do not open every night), they also offer a good breakfast menu which will set you up for the day.
The Moelwyns protect the village from much of the wind from northerly gales in the winter and give the village a pleasant southerly aspect with relatively mild weather considering its location high in Snowdon. The village stands amongst some dramatic scenery; a good base for a quiet relaxing break, whilst being centrally located for excursions further afield, such as the World Famous Ffestiniog narrow gauge steam railway, Llechwedd slate caverns, many CADW heritage sites, such as Harlech Castle, and the Italianate village of Portmeirion is only a short drive away.
The renowned Grapes Inn, a 17th Century Coaching Inn & Restaurant is only 2 miles away. The town of Blaenau Ffestiniog offers a range of public houses, eating establishments, gift shops, chemist and Leisure Centre.
A short drive away is Coed y Brenin, one of the best mountain bike centres in Britain. Bikes are available for hire and the visitor Ffestiniog holiday cottagescentre offers a good selection of snacks. There is also the world class downhill biking centre above Blaenau Ffestiniog and around Tanygrisiau along with a network of other biking routes to suit all tastes.
In 1776, Lord George Lytton toured through Wales, when he arrived at Ffestiniog he wrote; “Nothing remarkable occurred in our ride, until we came to Ffestiniog, the Vale before which is the most perfectly beautiful of all we had seen …. with the woman one loves, with the friend of one's heart, and a good study of books, one might pass an age there, and think it but a day. If you have a mind to live long and renew your youth, come and settle in Ffestiniog”.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
19 Jul 2014
"An ideal getaway"
This cottage was marketed as a romantic getaway and would be an excellent place for a couple. I wanted somewhere quiet but not too isolated as I was travelling alone. The location is ideal for explo… More
Thank you so much Anita for your review, we're really pleased you had a lovely stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back next year, thank you for re-booking with us. Warmest regards, Angie & Rich x.
10 Apr 2014
Well what can I say about this cottage other than AMAZING!!! We stayed here for 2 nights and 3 days if we could of stayed longer we most certainly would of! The cottage is done & kept to such a high standard, everything was perfect and you can really see all the effort that has gone into making the place perfect. The log fire was my favourite part of the cottage, very easy to do and so cosy. All the information that was provided was so useful and the added extra's (wine, welsh cake, dog treats, milk e.c.t) we were welcomed with on arrival were such a lovely touch. We will be retirning & recommending to family and friends. Thank you so much Angie, Rich & Billy!
Thank you so much for a lovely review, we're delighted you had a lovely stay albeit not for long enough! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future, perhaps for a little longer next time so you have more time to explore this beautiful part of Wales. Kind regards Angie, Rich & Billy (our dog) x.
24 Mar 2014
"A perfect retreat for a romantic getaway"
The one bedroom cottage is an excellent choice for a 2-person (or even solo if you're a walker for example ??) getaway from it all. Warm, comfortable and with all amenities you really couldn'… More
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:23 Oct 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 208 properties
- 191 properties
- 173 properties
- 170 properties
- 150 properties
- 118 properties
- 94 properties
- 93 properties
- 56 properties
- Blaenau Ffestiniog
- 46 properties
- Bangor - Wales
- 38 properties
- Vale of Ffestiniog
- 29 properties
- 27 properties
- Llan Ffestiniog
- 21 properties
- Lledr Valley
- 18 properties
- 17 properties
- 13 properties
- Menai Bridge
- 13 properties
- 10 properties
- 8 properties