House | 6 bedrooms | sleeps 12
The house has been recently constructed with 6 bedrooms sleeping 12. The living area comprises of an open plan large kitchen, dining-room and sitting room with high ceilings, exposed beams and spectacular fire place / chimney.
A large conservatory off the living area benefits from the houses elevated setting providing stunning sea views of the north Mayo coastline with the spectacular Downpatrick Head the dominant feature on the horizon. Additional features in the house include under floor heating downstairs, a 6' super king size bed in the master bedroom which also has a walk-in wardrobe en-route to the en suite, TV and DVD player in living area, very large double sided stove in living area with solid fuel available on demand The house is fronted by a well maintained garden of almost an acre in size - stretching the length of a football pitch down to the public road.
The house has been equipped for use by the owners as their regular holiday home, so has standards of equipment, furnishings and fittings well above those of the average holiday rental.
|Size||Sleeps up to 12, 6 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Ballycastle 3 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car advised, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest Amenities||1.5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Knock 65 km, Nearest railway: Ballina 25 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player, Sea view|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 2 En suites|
|Furniture||Single beds (4), Double beds (4), Cots (1), Dining seats for 11, Lounge seats for 10|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Swing set|
|Access||Wheelchair users, Secure parking|
|Further details outdoors|
Fishing rods available
Peat fuel for the stove can be provided at a fixed price. Oil and electricity use is charged on a usage basis.
A babysitting service is available and a local taxi is available 24/7 to any location at very reasonable rates.
The North West Ireland region
North Mayo is a present to the geologist, archaeologist and the botanist and offers magnificent scenery of sea and cliffscapes, beaches and dramatic mountains.
It is the largely undisturbed openness of the countryside and the closeness of the wild Atlantic that stands in contrast with small cosy cottages with their fireplaces that make this part of Ireland truly unique. Knock on any door and you are welcome.
Ballycastle, County Mayo
Once in Ballycastle, you can forget about traffic, haste, stress, depression and recession. The area is a paradise for those interested in the great outdoors, sports and nature:
• Site seeing along the north Mayo coastline from Belmullet to Ballina including Downpatrick Head and the viewing platform at Ceide cliffs 2 miles away,
• Rock-fishing along many of the famous fishing sites on the nearby coastline or only a 20 minute drive to nearby Ballina and its world renowned salmon fishing river Moy
• Walking, running, playing, sunbathing at Ballycastle beach or the 10 minute drive to the renowned Lacken beach and strand.
• Walking along the ‘The Western Way’
• Geology in the spectacular limestone and sandstone rock formations of the Ceide cliffs and Downpatrick Head to the equally specatacular pre Cambrian metamorphic rocks 5 miles west exposed at Belderrig harbour
• Archaeology with the aforementioned Cedie Fields – a Stone Age filed system; the largest of its type in the world - and award winning interpretative centre.
• Bird watching at all of the local cliffs – Ceide and Downpatrick Head in particular
• Cycling – quiet undulating roads in the wider area make this an ideal
• Deep sea diving – the clarity of the waters around Downpatrick Head make this a favourite diving location for many diving clubs in Ireland with the launch pad less than a mile fm the house
• Golf – located midway along the north Mayo coast between the 2 championship links courses at Enniscrone and Belmullet – each a 25 minute drive.
The village of Ballycastle has 3 grocery shops which stock all the essentials, a butchers, Mary’s coffee shop famous for it home-made foods and cakes, an international art gallery with resident artists from all over the world and an arts and craft shop. There is a choice of local pubs which offer a true local welcoming atmosphere and entertainment at weekends.
For fine dining, the award winning Stella Maris Hotel is within walking distance from the house.
A range of other attraction in county Mayo are all within easy driving distance, any number of which could be combined on a day trip:
• Foxford Woollen Mills and Visitor Centre
• Turlough ark House and Museum of Country Life
• Historic Abbeys - Moyne, Rosserk and Rathfran
• Ogham Stones at Doonfeeney and at Breastagh
• North Mayo Sculpture Trail – the majority of which are based within a 10 minute drive of Ballycastle
• Knock Shrine
• The Royal Theatre with regular major shows
• Westport – the cosmopolitan town with the continental flavour
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
4 Aug 2012
"We would go again!"
We spent two very enjoyable weeks in this house. Ours was a large family gathering of varying ages. We were well accommodated in its bright airy and varied reception areas, lovely kitchen, large bedrooms with good beds, generous bathrooms. The house is comfortable to be in if the weather is not great. For a big house it is warm and cosy. It has a beautiful setting with great sea-views. It is close to a variety of beaches offering water-sports of all kinds, also important historic locations, scenic drives and good walks. It combines a nice sense of open countryside with a lovely village setting close by. The proprietor responded to our needs in every way and even couriered on some left luggage! If we planned a holiday in Mayo again we would be delighted to return to Muingelly.
11 May 2012
"Peaceful and scenic"
As a group of scuba divers we rented this wonderfully spacious and comfortable house for an extra-extra long weekend. The house is conveniently located near Ballycastle slip where we launched our boats. The living area boasts fantastic views of Doonbristy sea stack and Downpatrick head where we dived. The rooms are of generous size, well decorated and have very comfortable beds. The kitchen really is stunning and plays host very well to a large group. I highly recommend this house for a group who enjoy the outdoors and the fantastic scenery that the North Mayo coast has to offer. It is perfect for those who like cooking and relaxing in each others company and the charming village of Ballycastle is only a few minutes away.
22 Sep 2011
"Lovely House and great view"
Stayed here with a group of friends and had a wonderful time. The house is really lovely with plenty of space. All the bedrooms are a good size and furnished to a high standard. The kitchen is well laid out and when standing at the isand cooking you can look out a the sea. I would definetly go back - I highly recommend.
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
- 5 Years listed
83% Response rate
Calendar last updated:11 Sep 2014
Based in Ireland
- 45 properties
- 40 properties
- Achill Island
- 27 properties
- 26 properties
- 21 properties
- 18 properties
- 18 properties
- 17 properties
- 16 properties
- 16 properties
- 13 properties
- 12 properties
- Charlestown, Ireland
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- Newport, County Mayo
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties