Abercelyn Poor House
Cottage | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Abercelyn Poor House feature:
* En-suite bathrooms
* Washing machine
* Flat-screen TV with DVD, digital TV and radio
* HiFi unit
* Full central heating, adequate supply of hot water, dual-fuel heated towel rails
* Sunny patio with furniture and barbecue
* Information folder for the Bala area and Snowdonia
* Use of facilities in Abercelyn Country House: drying room, bike store & wash, tourist information, walking maps and guide books
* Use of the award-winning landscaped, mature garden of Abercelyn Country House
* There is adequate spacing for parking several cars and boat trailers
* Cot & high-chair available upon request
* Wireless access to Broadband Internet in Abercelyn Country House
Features of the location are:
* Close to Bala with a choice of restaurants, Inns, shops, etc.
* Overlooking Lake Bala (Llyn Tegid)
* In the Snowdonia National Park
* An ideal location for visiting North and Mid-Wales
* Near to nature reserves, woodlands and bird reserves
* Walks directly from Abercelyn Cottages
* Mountain walking in three mountain ranges
* Outstanding water-sport facilities including the National White-water Centre
* You can walk your dog on our land or along the lake
To see a virtual tour of the cottage go to the Abercelyn Cottages website, using the link at the bottom-right of the page "Visit the advertiser's website" or copy "www.self-catering-snowdonia.com" into your Internet browser.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Barmouth 40 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Manchester 115 km, Nearest railway: Wrexham 50 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||DVD player, Boat available|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 2 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (4), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
Upper floor - open plan living area with pine flooring, stone walls and beams, comprising:
* Lounge with:
o Two comfortable sofas, a comfortable armchair, nest of tables,
o Traditional-style stove,
o Flat-screen TV with DVD player, teletext, remote control with digital TV and radio,
o HiFi unit with CD/cassette/radio,
* Dining area: Danish Pine Table (extendable) with six chairs
* Fitted kitchen:
o With traditional fitted units,
o Dishwasher with tablets provided
o Cooker with fan-assisted oven, second oven/grill and four rapid hotplates,
Poor House twin bedroom with en-suite
o Fully equipped for six persons
* Double bedroom with en-suite bathroom (bath, WC, basin, heated towel rail)
* Twin bedroom with en-suite shower room (shower, WC, basin, heated towel rail)
* Twin bedroom with adjacent private shower room (tower shower, WC, basin & Washing machine with powder provided)
Full central heating, with adequate supply of hot water, and traditional-style stove
Choice of quilts
Information folder, walking & biking folder and instruction manual
|Further details outdoors|
Patio with furniture and barbecue (accessed from the upper floor)
Courtyard with flowerbeds (accessed from the lower floor)
Drying room in Abercelyn Country House
Adequate car parking including space for boat trailers
Locked storage available for bicycles
The price includes: heating electricity, towels and linen (beds made up)
Complimentary tea, coffee, milk, sugar, salt & pepper, cleaning & washing products, kitchen roll, etc.
Stay for two weeks: £25 reduction, linen and towels changed after the first week
Pets permitted (charge £10 per pet)
Cot and high-chair available by prior arrangement
The North Wales region
The highlights of the area include:
* Abercelyn is set in mature, landscaped gardens, close to Lake Bala (Llyn Tegid) the largest natural lake in Wales
* Within easy walking distance of the market town of Bala with shpos, banks, a post office, restaurants and Inns
* Located within the Snowdonia National Park with stunning mountain and lake scenary
* Walking directly from the doorstep with mountain and scenic walks available and a circular walk around the lake
* Surrounded by three mountain ranges (Aran, Arenig and Berwyn) with other mountains easily accessible including: Cader Idris, Rhinogs, Snowdon, and more
* Outstanding watersports facilities on Lake Bala, National White-water Centre and River Dee
* Easy access to the coast of Cardigan Bay and estuaries (Mawddach, Dovey and Dwryd)
* An ideal centre for visiting the many attractions of North- and Mid-Wales
Ten suggested "things to do" around Bala:
* Experience Welsh culture, e.g. listen to a Welsh choir, or visit the Cywain Centre, Bala
* Whitewater rafting at the National Whitewater Centre
* Bala Lake Railway
* Walk around the Lake or half-way and return by railway
* Dine out in one of the Egon Ronay top 25 restaurants in the UK
* Off-road driving in a 4x4 with Landcraft
* Play golf on a challenging course with views of the lake and mountains at Bala Golf Club
* Sail or canoe on Lake Bala
* The Town walk with historical information
* Fishing in Lake Bala or the River Tryweryn or Dee
Other "things to do" near Bala, include:
* Caerau Uchaf Gardens (Sarnau): gardens, plant sales, cafe, adventure playground, pets corner
* Cinema in Bala
* Fitness: Penllyn Leisure Centre, Bala
* Swimming: Penllyn Leisure Centre, Bala
* Ten Pin Bowling: Urdd Multi-activity Centre, Glan-llyn
* Heritage Centre (Canolfan y Plase) in Bala
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
9 Sep 2013
"Home from home"
We could not have felt more comfortable in the "Poor House". No silly rules, just hosts who were more than willing to offer help, advice and friendship. The cottage was comfortable throughout and the en-suite facilities excellent. We enjoyed being able to walk into Bala town on the delightful level walk by the lake and Bala itself offered everything one could wish for in the way of food shopping, cafes, restaurants and pubs. Wifi was available in the main house but would also be welcome in the cottage itself.
7 Aug 2013
"Great hosts and a wonderful setting"
Ray & Lindsey are fantastic hosts, very relaxed and welcoming and an encyclopedia of things to do and where to go. Our daughter fell in love with Lindsey's kittens and was up bright and early to … More
25 Jul 2013
"Excellent holiday cottage"
Excellent holiday cottage with lots of character. Nice layout with a comfy lounge and dining area. Spacious bedrooms with a bathroom each! Plenty of parking space, good location just across from Bala … More
13 Jun 2013
"A Little Treasure in a lovely spot."
We just returned from a 4night break here.
3 good sized double/twin bedrooms - one ensuite double on the main level, perfect for my 85 y/o mother-in-law.
two more twins down the spiral staircase. The one that isn't ensuite may as well be because it's so private.
Lounge and kitchen are cozy but well supplied.
very quiet and private, but so close to Bala that good legs could easily walk it in 10 mins.
The owners are lovely and kind. We were greeted with a delicious fresh banana cake.
This is a liitle gem of a place from which you can reach various National Trust properties.
10 May 2013
The cottage is lovely and set in an excellent location for visiting surrounding area. We had an 8 month old baby with us and a cot high chair was made available for our use. We were made to feel welcome with a tour around the cottage and cakes on arrival. Would definitely recommend to others.
14 Apr 2013
"Cosy Poor House"
A warm welcome from Ray and Lindsay; which included homemade lemon drizzle cake, some general advice about the local area and more specific advice about local walks, pubs etc.
Characterful house which was cosy but had plenty of space for our family group of adults and teenagers. Everything we needed for our short break.
A car is required. Snowdonia and surrounding area is then within easy traveling distance.
Lovely pub, with good bar meals Eagle Inn, Llanuwchllyn 10 mins drive away.
2 Apr 2013
"Excellent place to explore north Wales"
We stayed for a weekend to explore north Wales and relax. The cottage was clean and cosy. Excellent views and located next to the lake. Ideal for snowdon and other destinations. There was parking opposite the cottage and a BBQ area which would off been perfect in summer. Would definitely stay again.
10 Mar 2013
"A beautiful cottage and excellent hosts"
Split level ideal for family as each level had its own entrance door.
It was cold but the heating worked a treat. It was ideal for exploring Bala and the surrounding areas. The owners made us feel welcome and our grandaughter loved feeding the Hens with Ray the owner.
4 Jan 2013
"Wonderful, well equipped and comfortable cottage in fabulous location"
We enjoyed a wonderful New Year break in a splendid location. Excellent location for exploring the area. Local town of Bala only a 15 minute scenic lakeside walk away.
Made to feel very welcome and soon felt at home with all of the equipment provided.
19 Mar 2012
"Quaint, quiet and relaxed - The Poor House"
We travelled here in a party of 6. 2 couples and 2 friends. We had a warm welcome from Lindsay and Ray, they showed us round and gave us a thorough tour of the cottage. The bedrooms we nicely decorated and the bathrooms were lovely. the shower downstairs was ver luxurious with 5 adjustable shower heads. Just mind your head on the way into the cottage as the beams are low, we didn't mind this, it added to the character. The cottage had all mod cons. microwave, dvd player, tv, stereo. no wi-fi but it was nice to get it away from it all. We were also provided with complimentary tea, coffee and milk. We brought our dog at an extra £10 which seemed fair.
The surroundings were beautiful too. views of the lake and a little church over the road. The lake was a five min walk away and the town of bala was close by with lovely little shops and pubs.
No down points to our holiday here and we would definiately come back again. :)
You're booking with
- 2 Years listed
100% Response rate
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site
- 121 properties
- 88 properties
- 86 properties
- 79 properties
- 63 properties
- 47 properties
- 43 properties
- 40 properties
- 36 properties
- Blaenau Ffestiniog
- 34 properties
- 30 properties
- 21 properties
- 19 properties
- 17 properties
- Llan Ffestiniog
- 14 properties
- 11 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 7 properties