The Old Dairy
Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Approached via a long sweeping driveway, flanked by a large wild life pond and undulating fields grazed by cattle, Rowdale nestles in a sheltered spot in the heart of the Peak National Park, surrounded by mature grounds, and enjoys fabulous views down Crackendale.
This comfortable character farm cottage, with a gateway onto the Monsal Trail, provides easy access to the footpaths, bridleways and cycle routes. There is an excellent choice of pubs, village shops, and cafe's all within a short walk
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Manchester 59 km, Nearest railway: Chesterfield, Buxton, Grindleford - all within 22 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 12, Lounge seats for 12|
|Other||Linen provided, High chair|
|Further details indoors|
A light and spacious barn conversion with a southerly aspect with scenic views from all rooms.
Central heating and double glazing throughout.
The cottage is predominantly on one level with a very large, stone flagged open plan living area incorporating a well equipped kitchen
The comfortably furnished lounge area features a high apex ceiling with original exposed timbers and a log burning stove.
Level access to a twin room with exposed roof trusses.
Next to the bedroom, there is level access to family shower room with shower cubicle, toilet and basin.
Two steps down to a further double bedroom with vaulted ceiling and en-suite bathroom, with over bath shower, toilet and basin.
|Further details outdoors|
The garden area for guests' use has a large lawn area with picnic tables. This area is gated proving an enclosed environment for children to play.
Guests also have access to the large wildlife pond, home to Geese, Mallards, Coots, Moorhens, frogs, toads, newts, an abundance of fish and occasional heron!
The gate to the Monsal Trial, a disused railway line, is accessed through the fields behind the cottages via a style or a gate off the main driveway.
The Heart of England/Peak District
Rowdale was originally a site for lead mining, however the farm house dates back to the early 17th century and formed part of the Eyre Estate, a Cavalier stronghold at the time of the civil war. The other older buildings are The Coach House and tithe barn at the top of the farm yard, which dates back to the 18th century. A dairy farm for all its working life, transported the milk to Manchester from the station just down the road at Hassop. When the Midland railway was built.
There is direct access onto the Monsal Trail from the cottages, the former Midland railway line, which linked Matlock to Buxton. Work on the line from Matlock via Buxton to Manchester began in 1860. The Haddon tunnel, 1,058 yards long, the second longest on the line, built to divert the line away from the Duke of Rutland's home, Haddon Hall. As a result the line reached Bakewell, 100 feet above the town, and accounts for the station being placed where it is. Hassop Station was used by the Duke of Devonshire and Thornbridge Station is alongside Thornbridge Hall.
In May 2011 the tunnels along the line, were opened giving walkers and cyclists the ability to walk the trail end to end, approximately nine miles, for the first time with the whole trail now being almost level it can be used by wheelchair users, with access from Bakewell, Great Longstone, Hassop Station, (with disabled toilet access) or Millers Dale.
Ashford in the Water and Great Longstone, both pretty and unspoilt, are the closest villages, both just under a mile away, provide a choice village stores, pubs and café's, you can even buy milk direct from the local dairy farm.
Bakewell, a 2 mile walk, has a cattle and farmers market in the Agricultural Centre and market square every Monday, and is also famous for its puddings.
The historic towns and villages of Buxton, Matlcok, Tideswell, Eyam, Hathersage, Ensor and Castleton are just a few of those close by and worth a visit. Sheffield our closest major city only 16 miles trip.
Chatsworth House, just 3 miles away, is a must visit, but perhaps make time to visit many of the other great attractions close by, Haddon Hall, Derwent Valley Mills, Crich tram museum, Blue John caverns, Tissington Hall, Hardwick Hall, to name just a few.
Climbing, cycling, walking, fishing, sailing, hot air ballooning, hang gliding, gliding, microlighting and golf are all outdoor pursuits which can be enjoyed close by. For thrill seekers of all ages, Alton Towers or Gulivers Kingdom are easily accessable too .
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
11 Jul 2014
"The good, the bad and the ugly!"
1. Property nice enough 2. No mention made of really noisy road outside used by lorries from 5am all day3. Make sure you get a receipt or risk being accused of not paying when you have - and then get … More
We would like to thank our guest for taking the time to review The Old Dairy, we are grateful for any feedback, as it helps ensure the description of our property is appropriate, and we continue to improve the facilities in the cottages at Rowdale Farm.
1. We are pleased to know that there were no issues with the main facilities, comfort and cleanliness of the cottage.
2. On the Holiday Lettings site, and in more detail on our own website we show the exact location of the cottages, and suggest the cottages make 'an ideal base for an active holiday. The cottages provide easy access to the many historic towns, villages, houses and beautiful countryside, whether exploring on foot, bicycle or by car'. If someone makes an enquiry for a quiet back water, we explain that this cottage is not ideal. Having been established now for ten years, with an increasing number of returning guests, we feel this is not a problem for the majority. Last weekend for example, all our cottages were occupied by returning guests.
3. This reservation was extended from the original booking. When the guest called prior to their arrival for a further extension, it became apparent that the amended booking had been overlooked. Our receptionist only asked the guest for the date of their confirmation email so their booking could be checked, the guest had not sent or received an email regarding the extension so the receptionist advised that the owner would check the account and we would confirm the reservation. The matter was dealt with the next day.
4. Details of the wildlife pond are described on our own website, and on the Holiday Lettings site, 'Guests also have access to the large wildlife pond, home to Geese, Mallards, Coots, Moorhens, frogs, toads, newts, an abundance of fish and occasional heron!', there have never been any swans. Some visitors feed the ducks and geese and we hope that the wildfowl on and around the pond are more of a point of interest than negative point. All the wildfowl have nested on the island this year and gosling/ducklings are quite special in such close proximity to premises.
5. None of our literature mentions a 'welcome pack', and in our confirmation email we describe what our guests can expect to find, and also the items that they should bring with them.
6. The Monsal Trail is a fantastic amenity to have in such close proximity to the cottages, so we mention it on several occasions in the information provided on our website, and on The Holiday Lettings site. ' The gate to the Monsal Trial, a disused railway line, is accessed through the fields behind the cottages via a style or a gate off the main driveway.' We advise any less able guests wishing to access the trail, to take a two minute drive or short level walk to The Old Hassop Station where there is plenty of parking and level access onto the trail without crossing the field.
7. Earlier this year we introduced Wi-Fi internet access in this particular cottage. Whilst other guests have made use of this, it appears that these guests were not aware that it was there, we can only apologise and endeavour to make it's availability more clear for future guests. Our intention is to make it available in other cottages very soon, following this trial period.
25 Apr 2014
"Peacefull and Relaxing"
A spacious cottage with rooms at opposite ends of the level access barn conversion. Two three seater and one two seater settees. Warm and comfortable and ideal for the dog with the quarry floor. Wo… More
9 Sep 2012
"Excellent - clean, convenient, quiet, everything you could need for a weekend or week away! Beautiful spot too!"
We were a party of five, three adults and two dogs. The Old Diary had everything that you could think of needing and it's location is both handy and quiet. Convenient for the Monsal Walk/Cycle trail, Bakewell and Chatsworth House to mention a few of the local places. We definitely want to go back and explore more.
25 Aug 2012
"Immaculate cottage - great location"
The photos on the website don't really do The Old Dairy justice. It is absolutely lovely and surprisingly spacious. We weren't sure what to expect in a dog friendly cottage but there was a… More
You're booking with
- 2 Years listed
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:18 Aug 2014
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site
- 162 properties
- 117 properties
- 93 properties
- 93 properties
- 32 properties
- 27 properties
- 26 properties
- 25 properties
- 24 properties
- 23 properties
- Hope Valley
- 19 properties
- Chapel en le Frith
- 18 properties
- 15 properties
- 12 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- Whaley Bridge
- 8 properties
- Litton Mill
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties