House | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
This family house is set within the 13 acre grounds of the 18th century Chateau de Charras. The house itself originally formed part of the Chateau's wine store and has recently been sympathetically renovated with many original features retained - ie exposed stonework including a large stone fireplace and wooden beams. There is also a courtyard at the back of the house with furniture for outside dining. The extensive grounds are very pleasant and relaxing to walk through with stone staircases , walls and balustrades recalling a much different lifestyle from long ago. There are panoramic views across the countryside from the hill top position of the Chateau and guests can enjoy the shared use of the 15m x 6m heated swimming pool and 2 tennis courts during their stay. The Chateau is in the heart of the village of Charras which has it's own boulangerie , general store with post office and bar / restaurant all within easy walking distance.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||300 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Angouleme / Cognac 30 km, Nearest railway: Angouleme 25 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Table tennis, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
Enter into a large kitchen / diner with all modern facilities through to a lounge wth open stone fireplace and woodburner. Courtyard with furniture for outside dining to the rear.
Stairs to first floor with 2 double bedrooms ( one with kingsize bed and one with double bed) and bathroom with bath/shower over and wc.
Stairs to second floor with 1 bedroom and 2 single beds.
English freeview satellite channels available.
A good selection of DVDs, Videos and CDs will be available for use during your stay.
|Further details outdoors|
Shared 15 x 6m heated swimming pool to a constant depth of 1.5m. No shallow end.
Estate is secure for children with lockable main gates and stone wall perimeter.
Welcome pack on arrival.
English speaking representative on arrival and is on hand to answer any questions.
Heated pool open between mid May and end September.
All bedding , linen , towels and pool towels provided.
Cot , highchair and stairgates available on request.
Bike hire available nearby.
Information pack for sightseeing etc provided.
Sunloungers provided for use in the courtyard.
Tennis raquets , table tennis bats and all balls provided.
Set of boules provided.
Prices quoted are inclusive of the Taxe de séjour ( local tax).
The Poitou-Charentes/Vendee region
- On the borders of the Charente / Dordogne.
-The village is bordered by forest and agricultural land perfect for walking, cycling and picnics but within easy reach of very picturesque towns and villages. Local weekly markets are a must to visit.
- Easy access to lakes for swimming , sailing , windsurfing and fishing.
Horse riding , golf , go karting , fishing , canoeing all available within easy reach.
The historic city of Angouleme is only 25 minutes away.
The city of Angouleme , with it's many restaurants , cinemas , theatre , museum/ art gallery and picturesque ancient quarter , is 25 mins away. There are many festivals and events held throughtout the year including a 3 day classic car event climaxing in a whole day of racing around the city streets. This famous event is called the 'Circuit des Remparts' and is held every September.
Places to visit include -
-The market towns of Piegut , Brantome , Nontron to name but a few!
- Brantome , known as the Venice of Perigord, is 30 mins away. This picturesque market town is situated on the river with it's many cafes and restaurants. Canoeing and pleasure boat rides are available. The magnificent caves ' Grottes de Villars' are just outside of the town and well worth a visit.
- Cognac , famous for it's brandy industry is 45 mins away. Tours of the Remy Martin and Hennessy distilleries
are available and much much more.
- Perigueux . Founded more than 2000 years ago , the capital city of the Dordogne is a great blend of ancient and modern.
- Bordeaux. This elegant city has a wealth of classical architecture. This region is , of course , also world famous for it's wine production. There are many chateaux which can be visited for wine tastings.
- Combiers. Just 10 mins away , this small village has a very popular nightclub for all ages.
- La Rochefoucauld with it's beautiful Chateau and charming restaurants.
- The Atlantic coast is only 2 hours away with it's ancient seaports including La Rochelle and beautiful resorts and beaches.
- There are also local lakes with beaches for walking , swimming and picnics. The water park 'Nautilus' is at Angouleme.