Tarn House (4* VisitBritain)
other travellers have booked this property online using Holiday Lettings Payments. When you book your rental using Holiday Lettings payments you are covered by Payment Protection
Cottage | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 8
Nestled on the secluded fellside of Loughrigg, Tarn House is a four-star Visit England-rated luxury period property at the gateway to the spectacular Langdale valleys.
Offering cosy, stylish and well-equipped self-catering accommodation for families and groups of up to eight people, Tarn House mixes traditional features including parquet flooring, Victorian tiling and inglenook fireplace with the best in amenities, from large LCD TVs, DVDs and Wi-Fi to supersized soak-baths to give you a home-from-home holiday at any time of year.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 4 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||3 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Telephone, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (4), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
The Cumbria/Lake District
Located in the heart of the English Lake District national park, Tarn House is just two miles from the market town of Ambleside yet also delightfully secluded on the fell-side of Loughrigg and a five minute walk from the peaceful gem of Loughrigg Tarn.
The Lake District is one of the most beautiful regions of the English countryside. From the dramatic fells to the clear lakes, the landscape possesses a charm that has inspired people down the ages, from John Ruskin and Beatrix Potter to William Wordsworth and Alfred Wainwright.
The area is designated as a National Park, helping to ensure the natural wonder of the landscape is carefully preserved and managed for future generations to enjoy.
One of the many benefits of Tarn House is its central location in the Lakes. Situated in Loughrigg, a small group of properties on the side of Loughrigg Fell, extensive walking routes set out direct from the front door, with Loughrigg itself rising up behind the property and the Langdale valleys sweeping away to the west.
- Over Loughrigg to the north – an energetic half-hour walk away – you descend into the vale of Grasmere, historic home to William Wordsworth. A short walk down the valley is picturesque Rydal Water.
- North-West – a 20-minite drive over the Kirkstone Pass (traffic and weather permitting) – is Ullswater, a popular sailing and open-water swimming destination but also the traditional starting point for exploring not only Helvellyn (via Striding Edge) and its rugged neighbours, but also the wilderness of the High Style range, with its shy herds of fell ponies and red deer.
- Southwest takes you to Coniston Water, its steam-powered Gondola doing regular trips to John Ruskin's historic home at Brantwood. From there you gain fantastic views over the Coniston range, dominated by the fells of Wetherlam and Coniston Old Man.
- Running to an altogether gentler pace, the hamlet of Skelwith Bridge is just half-a-mile from the cottage to the west, where the Skelwith Bridge Hotel and Talbot Bar serve good food and ales .
- The bustling market town of Ambleside is just two miles away to the east of the cottage – a five-minute drive or a 20-30 minute fell run if you need to build up an appetite. There you will find a large variety of shops, from hardware stores to bookshops and many specialist outdoor gear shops. Ambleside is also home to plenty of pubs and restaurants, including Italian, Thai, two Indian and two Chinese restaurants, as well as Ziffrellis, the five-screen cinema and jazz venue.
- At the south end of Ambleside – and again, just a five-minute drive from the cottage – is Waterhead, the top-most tip of Lake Windermere and stopping point for the famous Windermere ferries.
- A few miles to the northwest of the cottage, go north or west to visit either of the Langdale valleys, encompassing some of England's most breathtaking scenery as well as the Three Shires Inn, Britannia Inn and Wainwrights pub.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
29 Jul 2014
"Great Cottage - family of 8"
Our party of 8 stayed here in July and very much enjoyed ourselves.The property is spacious and well equipped and well located to get to some great sites in the Lake District.The views from the "… More
13 Jul 2014
"great for 2 families!"
Loved Tarn House. The large living cum dining room and excellent facilities provided in the kitchen, made our holiday perfect for 2 families of 8 people. And having 2 bathrooms both with baths and sep… More
27 Jan 2014
"Girls weekend gettaway!"
Came here for a weekend getaway with the girls, the house was beautifully kept, very cosy, and had really nice touches all around the house, loved the rustic furniture. The fire was well stocked with … More
26 Oct 2013
A wonderful house in a fantastic location. All the "home from home" touches you would expect plus more. We found everything as described and the pre arrival instructions were detailed and us… More
21 Oct 2013
"Stunning comfortable house."
A really lovely house well presented and very well equipped. 6 adults made up our group and we were all comfortable and pleased by the house. I would definitely recommend staying at Tarn House.… More
25 Sep 2013
"Great space for family and good base for exploring the Lake District."
We loved our stay at Tarn House and would recommend it. It is 2 miles out of Ambleside with lots of walks and local pubs to enjoy.… More
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:20 Aug 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 355 properties
- 299 properties
- 254 properties
- 122 properties
- 58 properties
- Bassenthwaite Lake
- 43 properties
- 38 properties
- 34 properties
- 33 properties
- 32 properties
- 21 properties
- 13 properties
- 12 properties
- Eden Valley
- 10 properties
- Duddon Valley
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties
- Kirkby in Furness
- 6 properties
- 6 properties