House | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 6
OVERLOOKING THE SEA ON THE COSTA TROPICAL: ALL YEAR ROUND LOCATION FOR SEA AND SKI; OUTSTANDING VIEWS
• 2 storey house in small gated community of 14 family houses
• Suitable for quiet couples and families
• 5 minutes from the beaches and town
• 50 minutes from Granada and 90 minutes to the ski slopes at Sierra Nevada.
• 80 minutes from Malaga airport
An all-year-round location, suitable for sea and ski, La Rijana sits on top of a headland and looks out over the pool and sea. From the windows and terrace, you can watch sunrise and sunset, follow the fishing boats and may even be lucky enough to spot dolphins just off the coast. On a clear day, you can have views across to Africa.
La Rijana is entered through a remote controlled gate and positioned just below an ancient Moorish tower, in a peaceful, residential, exclusive area of Almuñecar, known as Los Pinos, (The Pines). It consists of 14 houses, most of which are second homes and so it is generally extremely quiet. The communal pool (10x8m with Roman steps), which overlooks the sea, is open all year.
The house has rustic floor tiles throughout, is double-glazed and is equipped with AC and heating on the lower floor. Fans are provided for the bedrooms.
The well-furnished lounge/diner has remote controlled TV, DVD, pay-as-you-go Wi-Fi and a Hi-Fi. There is a collection of books, games and CD's together with a comprehensive information file. (Please note that it is reported that BBC and ITV TV channels will disappear due to change of satellite. No-one currently knows the real effect of the change until it happens and therefore how to deal with it. I would advise you to bear this in mind when considering all properties.)
The kitchen, with granite surfaces, has induction hob, combination convection/grill/microwave oven, washer, large fridge-freezer, electric kettle and toaster and in addition, is well supplied with crockery and glassware for indoor and outdoor use.
Upstairs there are 3 bedrooms, all with sea views. The master bedroom, with king bed has an en-suite bathroom. The other 2 bedrooms have twin beds (bedroom 3 with a stow-away bed). There is a second bathroom. Both bathrooms have shower, basin and bidet.
Patio doors open onto a terrace which stretches over 2 sides, giving superb sea and pool views. There is a retractable sun canopy, teak dining table, side table and 6 chairs and 2 sun loungers. Some additional fold up chairs are available for you to take to the pool.
• The house has its own parking space outside
• Shared pool (10 x 8 m) with Roman steps
• Protected parking within gated community
You will find a complimentary welcome pack and starter essentials for kitchen and bathrooms.
Please note: All guests must agree to abide by the rules of the residential community and agree to respect the property and other residents. No party groups. Noisy and irresponsible behaviour is not acceptable and community fines will be be levied for any such behaviour.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Velilla 1 km|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Malaga, Granada 90 km, Nearest railway: Malaga, Granada 80 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||DVD player, Sea view|
|General||Central heating, Air conditioning, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||Single beds (4), Double beds (1), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ|
The Andalucia region
Roughly an hour from both Granada and Malaga airports, Almuñecar is the principal town on a part of the southern coast of Andalucia, known as the Costa Tropical, in the province of Granada. The coast is characterised by rugged cliffs falling to the sea and a sub-tropical climate that encourages the growth of custard apples, avocados, mangoes and bananas.
Almuñecar has the heart of an old Andalucian pueblo characterised by traditional style white houses along narrow cobbled streets. There is a huge range of bars and restaurants to chose from, a variety of excellent supermarkets, daily food market and weekly street and flea markets and also lots of individual boutique shops. You can choose from a large number of beaches, or visit the castle, museum, Roman ruins, botanical garden, bird- park, aquarium, bonsai gardens or water park.
Things to do and see
Almuñecar is the principal town on the Costa Tropical, a coast characterised by rugged cliffs falling to the sea and a sub-tropical climate that encourages the growth of chirimoyas, avocados, mangoes and bananas.
It has the heart of an old Andalucian pueblo, being built on cobbled streets, and has history which dates back to pre-historic times.
Things to do and see in the town:
• Roman aqueduct and fish-salting factory
• botanical gardens with nearly 200 varieties of tropical trees from all over the world, (jazz festival in July)
• bird park
• bonsai gardens
• water park
• daily market, Friday outdoor market and Sunday flea market
• lively shopping centre in the old town
• many bars and restaurants – particularly lovely areas to be found in the summer evenings in the old town area
Under an hour:
• All the beaches of the Costa Tropical (see section 'Coast' below) including a marina and the marine nature reserve
• Salobrena castle and old town
• Motril – with a history of sugar cane and rum production
• Amazing caves at Nerja with prehistoric remains
• The verdant Lecrin Valley.
• Fascinating Granada, the last Moorish stronghold, with the fabulous Moorish Alhambra Palace, cathedral, gypsy barrio, hot baths and many other interesting sights
• Sierra Nevada skiing (or mountain walking in summer)
• Alpujarras (made famous by the book 'Driving Over Lemons')
• The historical town of Alhama de Granada, with Moorish quarter, to the south east of Granada. Just outside the town, which is set in rolling hills, are hot springs which feed Arab baths at a local hotel. Accompanied mountain and gorge walks, mountain biking, and a variety of adventurous activities can be arranged in the area. 15 minutes away is Lake Bermejeles with beautiful views and swimming. Picnic tables are set amongst lakeside trees.
• Malaga with old city centre, Picasso Museum, castle, cathedral and many other sights.
• Seville, Cordoba, Ronda are all possible on an overnight visit.
The Costa tropical offers a huge variety of beaches and coves where opportunities exist for diving, windsurfing, paragliding, jet-ski, scuba, snorkelling, fishing, pedalo, nudism or simply sunbathing and swimming. There are 7 beaches at Almunecar and further both east and west, numerous others can be reached down steep cliffs. Riding and golf are also available nearby. Coastal towns are as follows:
To the east of Almunecar:
• Salobreña, built on an outcrop of rock and topped by Moorish fortifications
• The interesting town of Motril, famous for sugar cane and rum and with Los Moriscos golf course next to the sea.
To the west of Almunecar:
• Marina del Este - exclusive marina with smart restaurants and diving
• Herradura, a small, pleasant coastal resort known for wind-surfing
• Canuelo – beautiful beach with a dramatic backdrop reached by a mini-bus service
• Cantarrijan, included in the very special marine nature reserve and suitable for nudism, this beach has car access down to a cliff-backed bay. There are 2 restaurants, a water-sport equipment hire centre and a massage tent.
• Nerja, a popular resort for British holiday-makers, with a good beach (Burriana) and fantastic caves (International festival, featuring ballet, opera, flamenco in July).
• Torrox Costa - pleasant promenade lined with restaurants
• Torre del Mar, and nearby, the modern shopping centre of El Ingenio and the lovely old town of Velez Malaga.
There are other beaches, not mentioned above, waiting to be discovered!
Fiestas and festivals occur throughout the year and you can find out about them from the local tourist office or by searching on-line.
The location of La Rijana, suitable all year round, means that you can combine the tranquillity of gazing across the Mediterranean towards Africa, with the convenience of being only minutes from the centre of a vibrant Andalucian pueblo dating back to pre-history. You can explore the coastal towns and more remote beaches or head inland to the mountains. And remember - the wonderful city of Granada and the Sierra Nevada ski resort are just a short drive away.
Come and enjoy – hasta luego!
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
29 Oct 2013
"Wonderfully relaxing home with fabulous views to explore Spain's Costa Tropical."
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at La Rijana and the Andalusia region of Spain! The property offered a relaxing home base for us to explore Spain for the week. The complex is very secure with ample par… More
16 Jun 2013
"We loved your villa"
Thanks for letting us stay in your home - we had a fabulous time - the views are incredible and it was great just to sit on the balcony or by the pool and relax.
We checked out loads of the beaches and enjoyed the tapas there. We also found some great eating places in town - thanks for the recommendations!
We hope to be back again next year and will certainly recommend La Rijana to our friends.
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:11 Sep 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 1266 properties
- 310 properties
- La Herradura
- 184 properties
- 174 properties
- 151 properties
- Torrox Costa
- 142 properties
- 135 properties
- 127 properties
- 98 properties
- 80 properties
- 75 properties
- 54 properties
- Castell de Ferro
- 43 properties
- El Morche
- 35 properties
- 26 properties
- Torrenueva, Granada
- 14 properties
- Guajar Faraguit
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- 6 properties
- Caleta Guardia, La
- 6 properties