from £53 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £53 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
House / 3 bedrooms / sleeps 6
Availability Your dates are available
House / 3 bedrooms / sleeps 6
OVERLOOKING THE SEA ON THE COSTA TROPICAL: ALL YEAR ROUND LOCATION FOR SEA AND SKI; OUTSTANDING VIEWS
• 2 storey house in small gated community of 14 family houses
• Suitable for quiet couples and families
• 5 minutes from the beaches and town
• 50 minutes from Granada and 90 minutes to the ski slopes at Sierra Nevada.
• 80 minutes from Malaga airport
An all-year-round location, suitable for sea and ski, La Rijana sits on top of a headland and looks out over the pool and sea. From the windows and terrace, you can watch sunrise and sunset, follow the fishing boats and may even be lucky enough to spot dolphins just off the coast. On a clear day, you can have views across to Africa.
La Rijana is entered through a remote controlled gate and positioned just below an ancient Moorish tower, in a peaceful, residential, exclusive area of Almuñecar, known as Los Pinos, (The Pines). It consists of 14 houses, most of which are second homes and so it is generally extremely quiet. The communal pool (10x8m with Roman steps), which overlooks the sea, is open all year.
The house has rustic floor tiles throughout, is double-glazed and is equipped with AC and heating on the lower floor. Fans are provided for the bedrooms.
The well-furnished lounge/diner has remote controlled TV, DVD, pay-as-you-go Wi-Fi and a Hi-Fi (jack socket for ipod). There is a collection of books, games and CD's together with a comprehensive information file. Please note that BBC and ITV channels may not be available due to their change of satellite and continual changing of codes.
The kitchen, with granite surfaces, has induction hob, combination convection/grill/microwave oven, washer, large fridge-freezer, electric kettle and toaster and in addition, is well supplied with crockery and glassware for indoor and outdoor use.
Upstairs there are 3 bedrooms, all with sea views. The master bedroom, with king bed has an en-suite bathroom. The other 2 bedrooms have twin beds (bedroom 3 with a stow-away bed). There is a second bathroom. Both bathrooms have shower, basin and bidet.
Patio doors open onto a terrace which stretches over 2 sides, giving superb sea and pool views. There is a retractable sun canopy, teak dining table, side table and 6 chairs and 2 sun loungers. Some additional fold up chairs are available for you to take to the pool.
• The house has its own parking space outside
• Shared pool (10 x 8 m) with Roman steps
• Protected parking within gated community
You will find a complimentary welcome pack and starter essentials for kitchen and bathrooms.
Please note: All guests must agree to abide by the rules of the residential community and agree to respect the property and other residents. No party groups. Noisy and irresponsible behaviour is not acceptable and community fines will be be levied for any such behaviour.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Velilla 1 km|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Malaga, Granada 90 km, Nearest railway: Malaga, Granada 80 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||DVD player, Sea view|
|Pool||Shared outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, Air conditioning, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||King Beds (1), Single beds (4), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Shared outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ|
|Access||Secure parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
The Andalucia region
Roughly an hour from both Granada and Malaga airports, Almuñecar is the principal town on a part of the southern coast of Andalucia, known as the Costa Tropical, in the province of Granada. The coast is characterised by rugged cliffs falling to the sea and a sub-tropical climate that encourages the growth of custard apples, avocados, mangoes and bananas.
Almuñecar has the heart of an old Andalucian pueblo characterised by traditional style white houses along narrow cobbled streets. There is a huge range of bars and restaurants to chose from, a variety of excellent supermarkets, daily food market and weekly street and flea markets and also lots of individual boutique shops. You can choose from a large number of beaches, or visit the castle, museum, Roman ruins, botanical garden, bird- park, aquarium, bonsai gardens or water park.
Things to do and see
Almunecar has a history which dates back to pre-historic times.
Things to do and see in the town:
• Roman aqueduct and fish-salting factory
• botanical gardens with nearly 200 varieties of tropical trees from all over the world, (International Jazz Festival in July is also held here)
• bird park
• bonsai gardens
• water park
• daily food market, Friday outdoor market and Sunday flea market
• lively shopping centre in the old town
• many bars and restaurants – particularly lovely areas to be found in the summer evenings in the old town area or at the many beach restaurants.
Under an hour:
• All the beaches of the Costa Tropical (see section 'Coast' below) including a marina and the marine nature reserve
• Salobrena castle and old town
• Motril – with a history of sugar cane and rum production
• Amazing caves at Nerja with prehistoric remains
• The verdant Lecrin Valley.
• Fascinating Granada, the last Moorish stronghold, with the fabulous Moorish Alhambra Palace, cathedral, gypsy barrio, hot baths and many other interesting sights
• Sierra Nevada skiing (or mountain walking in summer)
• Alpujarras (made famous by the book 'Driving Over Lemons')
• The historical town of Alhama de Granada, with Moorish quarter, to the south east of Granada. Just outside the town, which is set in rolling hills, are hot springs which feed Arab baths at a local hotel. Accompanied mountain and gorge walks, mountain biking, and a variety of adventurous activities can be arranged in the area. 15 minutes away is Lake Bermejeles with beautiful views and swimming. Picnic tables are set amongst lakeside trees.
• Malaga Botanical Gardens, just off the motorway and Malaga old city, Picasso Museum, castle, cathedral and many other sights.
• Seville, Cordoba, Ronda are all possible on an overnight visit.
The Costa tropical offers a huge variety of beaches and coves where opportunities exist for diving, windsurfing, paragliding, jet-ski, scuba, snorkelling, fishing, pedalo, nudism or simply sunbathing and swimming. There are 7 beaches at Almunecar and further both east and west, numerous others can be reached down steep cliffs. Riding and golf are also available nearby. Coastal towns are as follows:
To the east of Almunecar:
• Salobreña, built on an outcrop of rock and topped by Moorish fortifications
• The interesting town of Motril, famous for sugar cane and rum and with Los Moriscos golf course next to the sea.
To the west of Almunecar:
• Marina del Este - exclusive marina with smart restaurants and diving
• Herradura, a small, pleasant coastal resort known for wind-surfing
• Canuelo – beautiful beach with a dramatic backdrop reached by a mini-bus service
• Cantarrijan, included in the very special marine nature reserve and suitable for nudism, this beach has car access down to a cliff-backed bay. There are 2 restaurants, a water-sport equipment hire centre and a massage tent.
• Nerja, a popular resort for British holiday-makers, with a good beach (Burriana) and fantastic caves (International festival, featuring ballet, opera, flamenco in July).
• Torrox Costa - pleasant promenade lined with restaurants
• Torre del Mar, and nearby, the modern shopping centre of El Ingenio and the lovely old town of Velez Malaga.
There are other beaches, not mentioned above, waiting to be discovered!
Fiestas and festivals occur throughout the year and you can find out about them from the local tourist office or by searching on-line.
The location of La Rijana, suitable all year round, means that you can combine the tranquillity of gazing across the Mediterranean towards Africa, with the convenience of being only minutes from the centre of a vibrant Andalucian pueblo dating back to pre-history. You can explore the coastal towns and more remote beaches or head inland to the mountains. And remember - the wonderful city of Granada and the Sierra Nevada ski resort are just a short drive away.
Come and enjoy – hasta luego!
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
14 Feb 2015
We stayed for eight weeks in this lovely house. For us it was important to feel safe and the property was certainly that. High above the sea with views from sunrise in the east to sunset in the west. When the sun shines the wrap around terrace is a sun trap all day, and
for all of December and January it shone for us except for one day. The house is comfortable, well equipped for cooking an evening supper. and for relaxing with books and tv. We found the large bed very comfortable and always had plenty of hot water. As we had our own car shopping in the town market was a real pleasure, taxis are available if you don't want the walk back. But the walks around the headland have stunning views and are well worth the effort. The property manager is just a local phone call away and is kind and helpful, important for us when on a longer winter stay. This is quiet, beautiful place and our one regret is that we should have stayed for February as well.
2 Oct 2014
Villa is in a lovely spot and the patio areas are ideal for chilling out and relaxing. Pool was very clean and inviting, only down side is there is not much around the pool to relax with, ie tables or sun beds etc.
Granada is an hour away and ther Alhambra Palace is easy to find and highly recommended to visit.
Almunecar was a lovely surprise, very Spanish, few British tourists when we were there ( which can be a good thing ) and high quality and value restaurants and bars. Everyone very friendly.
Due to the location of the Villa on top of a cliff be prepared for a 20 minute walk into the edge of town and a taxi back is essential if visting the bars or restaurants. ( around 7 euro + tip ).
All in all we would highly recommend this Villa for a party of four. Although it can sleep 6 the third bedroom is small and four or five is the ideal number of guests.
Sheila, the owner, was very helpful is all respects.
16 Jun 2013
"We loved your villa"
Thanks for letting us stay in your home - we had a fabulous time - the views are incredible and it was great just to sit on the balcony or by the pool and relax.
We checked out loads of the beaches and enjoyed the tapas there. We also found some great eating places in town - thanks for the recommendations!
We hope to be back again next year and will certainly recommend La Rijana to our friends.
You're booking with
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:08 Jul 2015
Based in United Kingdom