Mas des Grailles
About the home
Our totally private and fully furnished home in France is 200 years old and once belonged to the Chateau of Portes perched above. The property has magnificent views over the far side of the valley and large natural grounds. The whole house would be yours - it certainly isn't a property that has been split up into several gites!
The fully-equipped kitchen/dining area has a table and chairs, and leads to the very comfortable sitting room, tastefully furnished with armchairs and sofas and with a log burner. Upstairs there are two bedrooms, one kingsize and one with three single beds, a shower room, and a loo. On the lower ground floor accessed by outside steps is our Games Room with TV, library of books, table tennis table and various games.
If you enjoy outdoors exploring, walking, cycling, fishing, gliding, canoeing or relaxing cooking, painting or reading in complete privacy, this is the place for you! There are two large terraces on either side of the Mas, you can dine out on either. There are two sunloungers and cushions.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach:||Le Grau du Roi, 80km|
|Will consider:||Long lets|
Nearest amenities: 1km
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Unsuitable for people with restricted mobility
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General:||Central heating, TV, CD player, Table tennis, Games room, Satellite TV, Wi-fi available|
|Standard:||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities:||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||2 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 shower rooms|
|Furniture:||Single beds (3), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seating for 5, Lounge seating for 5|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
|Outdoors:||Balcony / Terrace, Private garden|
Further details indoors:
- Fully-equipped kitchen with large dining table and chairs.
- Sitting room has soft, comfortable sofas, leather armchairs, and a fireplace with log-burning stove. TV, SKY & French satellite, CD, DVD player and films, bookshelf with books, jigsaws and games including boules. French windows lead onto one balcony.
- Bedroom 1 has a large kingsize bed, shelves, good reading lights, large cupboards with solid chestnut doors, big window, fantastic view.
- Bedroom 2 has two single beds and a tuckaway bed , dressing table, chairs. Heated shower room and basin. Separate WC.
Computer and satellite internet access - free.
On the lower ground floor is our new Games Room with table tennis, games, TV and books. There is also a separate shower room with wash basin and toilet.
- There is electric heating throughout.
- Cot and high chair on site.
Further details outdoors:
- The house is totally private with no immediate neighbours and is not overlooked in any direction.
- The french windows lead onto a large balcony with has a big garden table with a parasol and six chairs (we have all our meals outside whenever possible). There are two sun loungers with cushions.
- Superb spacious private grounds, complete privacy with fruit trees bearing cherries in May and apples in the late summer.
Rental is normally from Saturday to Saturday but this can be flexible off-season. Long lets at a preferential rate.
- Smoking only outside please.
The Languedoc-Roussillon / Gard region
The property is situated in the Cevennes National Park, 15 minutes from the town of Ales and there's no shortage of things to do! Magnificent views, lots of activities, markets to visit, mine museums, superb walking country.
Local river swimming, fishing, horse riding, donkey trekking, velodrome, golf, tennis, visiting caves, silk mills,etc. are all within a very short drive. Skiing and cross-country skiing within an hour's drive - if enough snow! If you'd like to see the Mediterranean why not drive down to the Camargue and see the flamingos.
The Ales / Chamborigaud area
The Gard region of France has the best of all worlds enjoying a Mediterranean climate with sunshine & clear blue skies most of the year. The summers are hot and dry and extend well into the autumn. The winter can be cold but still with glorious blue skies. Spring and autumn are lovely times to be here. The beaches of the Mediterranean are only 2 hours away. Markets include Ales, St Ambroix (superb) and Uzes with all local specialities: cheese, olive oil, fresh herbs, honey & vegetables. Less than an hour away is the famous Pont du Gard Roman aqueduct.
Shopping at Chamborigaud to the north (10 minutes drive) for all other food produce as well as La Grand Combe for the nearest large supermarket (Intermarche) and a variety of other shops. There are several good restaurants in Chamborigaud.
For big shopping it is worth a trip to Ales where the choice is vast with many supermarkets and a great Monday market for local produce. New golf courses nearby.
Visit the Chateau de Portes which is a short walk. In Portes itself - 2 minutes drive - you can find a bar and the boulangerie and the newly refurbished Restaurant/Hotel du ChateauAs this was once a mining area there are Mine Museums to visit in La Grand Combe and Ales. Genolhac is well worth a visit with its narrow streets and antique shops.
Vineyards to visit on the way to Montpellier and excellent wine to buy direct from the producers.
Activities include golf, swimming, tennis, mountain biking, horse riding, fishing, canoeing, hang gliding, caving, gold prospecting, pottery courses, painting, photography, nature walks, naturism. You can even ski in winter if there is enough snow at Mas de la Barque which is a 35 minute drive.
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
- Fly to Nimes with Ryanair from Liverpool, Luton. We're about an hour from the airport.
- Fly to Montpellier with Easyjet & Ryanair. 1.5 hours drive. Fly to Avignon from Edinburgh & Leeds Bradford.
- If you're driving aim for Ales and then from Ales take the Genolhac road and Portes is situated between La Grand Combe and Chamborigaud. If travelling by car from the north, aim for Ales and then follow directions as above.
- A good choice of car hire available is at Nimes & Montpellier Airports. Hertz is an excellent car rental company and to be recommended..
Activities near Ales
Tennis in town
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
A winter sun break
05 Sep 2012
This place could be very good if more care and attention was focused on it. The problems start with the drive down to the house. About a third is a driveway, the remainder is a pot holed track.... more
We fell in love with Mas des Grailles, set in the magnificent Cevennes National Park, surrounded by stunning scenery. It is neither overlooked nor visible by another property. The grounds are left... more
16 Jul 2012
Comfortable house with three bedrooms and well equipped kitchen. TV with French and English channels...many books, music, and movies available in house. We stayed three weeks and enjoyed many... more
Many thanks for your excellent feedback following your three week stay at Mas des Grailles. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable holiday.
The drive to the property - although... more
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 4|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|23 Mar 13||18 May 13||£ 394||-||-||1 Week|
|18 May 13||29 Jun 13||£ 520||-||-||1 Week|
|29 Jun 13||31 Aug 13||£ 762||-||-||1 Week|
|31 Aug 13||28 Sep 13||£ 630||-||-||1 Week|
|28 Sep 13||9 Nov 13||£ 520||-||-||1 Week|
The property does not have weekend tariffs.
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
-Rentals are generally from Saturday to Saturday, although there may be flexibility off season. Long lets at a preferential rate off season. Minimum booking of 1 week in high season, flexibility otherwise.
- Security deposit £100 refunded within 7 days of departure if no damage, less telephone charges.
LINEN & HOUSE TOWELS INCLUDED.
£25 per week supplement for heating from 30 October.
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Selected other homes from this advertiser
Mas Lou Magnan in Grospierres, France
Mas Lou Magnan in Grospierres, France
Lou Magnan Studio Gites in Grospierres, France
Holiday apartments in France (11,173)