Farmhouse | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
Ideal to combine the beautiful coast and beachs with the relaxed countryside.
Triplex Rural Home, family and homey, completely remodeled, furnished and equipped, with three floors, between Alcobaça and Nazaré. Fully equipped kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, TV, two double bedrooms and one beautiful attic. Aldeia da Póvoa, Parish of Cos.
Accommodation located in the center of a little village, a few minutes from the famous Convent of COZ (from the twelfth century), 5 km from the historic UNESCO town of Alcobaça (where are buried Pedro and Inês de Castro) and 7 Km from the famous beach and village of Nazareth (world famous for its waves).
Apart from Alcobaça and Nazaré, you can enjoy some beautiful country walks (Pinhal de Leiria), the coastline (São Martinho do Porto), the hills and caves of Mira Daire (Serra dos Candeeiros) or the famous UNESCO village of Batalha (Monastery built as a symbol of the Portuguese victory in Aljubarrota Battle).
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS BEAUTIFUL REGION HERE:
The village has three coffeshops, a supermarket and a recreation center.
SAVE 10% IF YOU BOOK ONE WEE, 15% IF YOU BOOK TWO WEEKS AND 20% IF YOU BOOK ONE MONTH
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Lisboa 120 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (2), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 2|
The Costa de Prata/Silver Coast/Central Portugal region
The Oeste region has delightful and exquisitely preserved landscapes, extending inland from the Atlantic Ocean to the Montejunto, Aire and Candeiros mountains,to the “gates of the capital” and the Pinewood of D. Dinis.
It is a territory bathed in intense sunlight and blessed with a gentle climate, creating a unique harmony between the countryside and coast, in a green expanse dotted with white houses, set against the vast blue ocean. The local inhabitants have a long tradition of hospitality, and maintain strong ties to both the land and the ancestral call of the sea.
Encompassing the municipalities of Alcobaça, Alenquer, Arruda dos Vinhos, Bombarral, Cadaval, Caldas da Rainha, Lourinhã, Nazaré, Óbidos, Peniche, Sobral de Monte Agraço and Torres Vedras, this is a unique region, of modern rurality, united by a common cultural heritage and cemented by centuries of winegrowing and maritime and fishing traditions.
The development of the Oeste region has been powered by its proximity to Lisbon and its strategic location, close to other major urban centres.
Alcobaça owes its name to the Arab occupation and to the union of the river Alcôa and Baça near its Monastery, built between 1178 and 1254, right after the donation vow of the lands conquered in 1153 by the first king of Portugal - D. Afonso Henriques, about the time of the conquer of Santarém from the Saracens. At once the first dynasty kings recognised the cultural and economical value of the Order of Cister, assigning it with privileges and a wide territory formed of thirteen enclosures or lands with their own administration and laws, partially different from those of the kingdom. From those days come the ruins of its medieval castle of Arab origin, from where the view over the city and the Monastery is remarkable. At the end of Rua do Castelo (Castle Street) we can see the Igreja da Misericórdia (Mercy Church), founded on the sixteenth century and restored on the nineteenth century. In front of the north wing of the Monastery are the Arcos de Cister (Cister Arches), integrated in beautiful seven hundredth buildings and connecting the gardens and the esolanades of the squares of D. Afonso Henrriques and da República. Igreja da Conceição (Conceição Church) is in the primitive location where in 1153 the first monks were installed, before the fundation of the Monastery. Eastward we can see Serra dos Candeeiros (Candeeiros Mountain) covered with green fields, endless stone walks and beautiful olive-groves, which are the result of the monks' plantations during the seventeeth century, and which are limited by the Arco da Memória (Memory Arch). In the route of gothic and related to king Manuel of Portugal are the Matriz de Vestiaria (Vestiaria Matrix), Capela dos Passos (Steps Chapel) and Matriz de Évora de Alcobaça (Évora and Alcobaça Matrix), Igrejas de Turquel and de Aljubarrota (Turquel and Aljubarrota Churches), or Convento de Santa Maria de Cós (Closter of Santa Maria de Cós) of the Cister nuns, hich interior has noteworthy baroque expression in the wall tiles and in the golden carved works.On the way to the ocean, northward, arise the pine-woods and the golden beaches. Southward are the very fertile fields of Cela and of Alfeizerão that, till the sixteenth century, were calm harbours of a golf that is today confined to the magnificent beach and bay of S. Martinho do Porto.
The beach of Nazaré has a relatively recent origin, until the 17th century the sea occupied most of the area where today stand the houses. The quick geological transformations occurred during that century made the retreat of the sea and the silting up of the area, leaving the lovely bay uncovered.
The first references of fishing in Nazaré date from 1643, however, only in the beginning of the 19th century did the population start to live in the new beach. Until then, the fishermen lived, mainly, in the upper parts – Sítio and Pederneira – since the constant attacks of Algerian and Dutch pirates made the beach a very unsafe place.
Nazaré was first known and demanded as a seaside resort in the middle of the 19th century. Its natural beauty and typical characteristics drew the visitors' attention. Fishing, fish transformation and its sale were the main activities of the population during most of the 20th century. The harsh and dangerous sea life have made many fishermen leave their hometown seeking for better living conditions. The construction of the new Harbour, in the 1980s, has changed and improved the fishermen's living conditions, thus starting a new period on the population's daily life.
In the 1960s, tourism discovered the charm of the beach and the town became known all over the world. Every year, Nazaré receives the visit of thousands of national and international tourists, being today a modern and always lively town. To walk down its narrow streets towards the sea, is to discover a way of living still genuine and peculiar, with surprises at every corner!
Beauty, memories, charisma and traditions make Nazaré the most unforgettable Portuguese beach.
Sítio, on the top of the promontory, is a place of religiosity and pilgrimage since the 12th century associated to the legend of Our Lady of Nazaré and to the cult of Mary. Due to the difficult access, Sítio began to develop only in the middle of the 17th century and had a significant growth on the following century. The installation of a Funicular linking “ Praia" to “Sítio”, in 1889, originated a new population increase as well as tourist visits.
The Suberco Belvedere, at 110 meters high, offers the visitor one of the most beautiful sea views of Portugal.