Wed 21 October 2009
Weary Brits are finally voicing their opinions on their hotel gripes. From cleaners barging in unannounced, to cold buffet food and greedy holidaymakers reserving sun loungers, is it any wonder self-catering holidays are on the rise.
With £300 million expected to be spent by those renting private holiday homes this year via holidaylettings.co.uk, the UK’s busiest holiday home website decided to find out just what gets people’s goats about hotels.
The findings reveal that we have come to realise that lack of space and private facilities, having to get dressed for breakfast, and hearing your fellow guests ‘nookie’ noises in the room next door, is not the way to spend a holiday.
Instead, holidaymakers are opting for the increasingly popular self-catering holidays and making the most of the freedom a holiday home provides.
Ross Elder, managing director of holidaylettings.co.uk, says: “Brits have long been fans of the self-catering holiday, however, in the past 18 months the real benefits of the holiday home have come to the fore, with holidaymakers appreciating the value, space and flexibility this vacation delivers. Remember, you can’t swim naked in the hotel pool!”
Top 10 hotel gripes
1. Lack of space and private facilities
2. Price – especially when there’s more than two of you
3. Astronomical mini bar prices
4. Cleaners ‘tidying up’ possessions when they should only be making the bed
5. Being able to hear the TV, screaming kids and ‘nookie’ in the room next door
6. Having to get washed and dressed for breakfast (and by a certain hour)
7. Cleaners coming in unannounced
8. Knowing the best food is gone or has been sitting ‘warming’ for a long time if you turn up late for breakfast or the buffet dinner
9. People who ‘reserve’ sun loungers
About Holiday Lettings:
Holidaylettings.co.uk was established in 1999 by Ross Elder and Andy Firth. Part of the TripAdvisor Media group since June 2010, the business continues to thrive as an independent brand from its offices in Oxford. Jonathan Dees has been managing director since March 2011.
Search 65,000+ privately owned holiday homes in 116 countries around the world. Choose from spacious villas, resort apartments, sprawling gites and farmhouses, cosy romantic retreats, cottages, barn and chapel conversions, city breaks, rural getaways or beach breaks - there's a home for every holiday.
With 69 million unique monthly visitors* through the TripAdvisor Media Group, what are you waiting for...
Contact the PR team:
*Through the TripAdvisor Media Group. Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Inc. and its subsidiaries, Worldwide, May 2012