Writing a review about your holiday is a great way to offer your feedback to the owner and help other travellers decide where to stay. You might simply want to thank them for a lovely stay. It’s fun to do and only takes a few minutes.
Getting your review on the owner’s advert is easy. Here’s how it works:
- Find the owner’s Holiday Lettings advert (using the Home ID) or TripAdvisor listing (using the home name). Click on the button to write a review and you’ll be taken to a form on TripAdvisor. Alternatively, the owner might send you an email with a link to their ad, in which case, just follow the link.
- You’ll need to provide a few details, such as the guest’s name that was on the booking and the date of your stay. Then comes the fun bit: give your stay a score out of five, create a title for your review and then write your comments. Click on the ‘Tips & guidelines’ link above the comments box for advice.
- You have the option of rating your stay in more detail by clicking on Rate Your Experience and you can even add photos. Tick the disclaimer box and then you can submit your review straight away or preview it first.
- When you click on Submit at the bottom of the form, you’ll be asked to sign in to TripAdvisor. If you don’t have a TripAdvisor account, you can create one for free or sign in via Facebook or Google.
- If you’ve submitted the review correctly you’ll receive an email from TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor then checks the review to make sure it meets the guidelines. This can take a little while, particularly during busy seasons.
- The review will be displayed on the owner’s Holiday Lettings advert and their TripAdvisor listing.
Top tip! Try to make your review as useful as possible for other guests. For example, rather than just saying “the beach was excellent”, say “the beach was excellent because it was clean, quiet and just a short walk from the holiday home”.
Need to know info
Why do I have to sign in to write a review? The vast majority of websites that allow people to comment now require some kind of sign in. This is to stop any misuse of the system, take away absolute anonymity and make sure that owners can’t post fake reviews about their own home.
Where’s my review? If you can’t see your review yet and you’ve been waiting for a while, make sure that:
- You received a notification email from TripAdvisor thanking you for your review (if you didn’t receive this, you may not have completed the review properly or signed into TripAdvisor).
- You’re aware of the guidelines. You can check the status of your own review by visiting your TripAdvisor account.
If, after checking the above, you still can’t see the review it could be that it didn’t meet the guidelines. In that case, you can try and resubmit your review after double-checking the guidelines.