The high season is fast approaching and although we’ve had some bookings confirmed, we still have a lot of weeks available and need to get the empty dates filled!
It’s important to me that our property stays at the top of the listings on Holiday Lettings. I’ve mentioned before that tourists can be put-off looking for self-catering holidays abroad because of the cost of flights, and these are especially high for European flights to sunshine destinations like Cyprus. Plus, our property in Paphos faces a lot of tough competition from other holiday lets, so I need to ensure that our house stays at the top of the search results.
How properties are ‘ranked’
I’m not quite sure how the rankings are worked out on Holiday Lettings, but my personal thoughts are that it must be similar to Google. Like Google, or most search engines for that matter, they don’t give away how they ‘rank’ you. But what we do know is that it helps to keep your content fresh, relevant and up to date.
One of the major factors that can only assist with where you appear on Holiday Lettings is responding to enquiries within 24 hours. Quick responses will help you stay at the top. I also try to make sure our availability and prices are regularly updated and that content is appropriate to the season that we are trying to get bookings for.
Researching the competition
There are currently 23 properties listed in Anarita, the village where our property is located. It has been at number four in the search results for a while now and I’m determined to get it to the ‘top of the props’!
If you search for Paphos (the region where our property is located), there are 47 pages of properties and I’m pleased to see that regularly updating and refreshing our advert has resulted in us appearing on page two. However, I want to get on page one to try and generate more enquiries: it’s down to me as the homeowner to do this.
My tactics so far
Here’s what I’ve already done to achieve a good place in the search results:
- Asked our guests to leave reviews – we have 10 in total and our overall rating from past guests is 5/5
- Allowed new guests to book online with Payment Protection
- I respond to enquiries quickly, and always within 24 hours
- Included photos of our property and the surrounding area together with photo descriptions
- I regularly review and amend content to keep it up to date and appropriate to each season
- I use social media – our property has been shared 136 times on Facebook (and that’s not only by me… promise!)
New things that I’m trying out
So what have I done recently to try and achieve an even higher ranking?
- Added two more photos so that I’m now at the full capacity of 24 photos
- Added prices for 2015
- Updated the intro on our advert
- Added a link to our property’s website
So fingers crossed this will help our home climb even higher in the property charts! Watch this space and here’s hoping we’ll start receiving more enquiries and bookings soon. I’ll keep you updated!
All the best,